Gibson Brands Forums

Common Beginner Mistakes

SomeIdiotDreamer

All good advise, tough to add much. However, as you progress.

These are things that have been said to me by a studio and touring musician

Learn to fret without looking at your fret hand. Guitar playing is an audio art, not a visual, focus on the sound that you are producing and the sound you want to produce. Feel the music. - I thought the guy was full of crap, he wasn't.

and

Regardless of who you are, your level of experience, or how much you think you might suck... NOBODY can play like YOU! Your playing is unique... and that's what makes it an art and not a logical exercise.

Why sound like Clapton... the world already has one of those.

Why work so hard at trying to sound like SRV or Hendrix or whoever else... already been done... by SRV and Hendrix and whoever else!

Wouldn't it be easier for you to play like Sid? You already know how!

Embrace your own muse... don't waste your time coveting other's.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The biggest and most common beginner mistake is to ask for advice here -

now you're more confused than before:-"

How true. I get a kick out of the "Hey, what guitar should I buy?" Three days later and 50 responses, the poor sap has now narrowed it down to 40 to 50 possible choices.

Learn to fret without looking at your fret hand. Guitar playing is an audio art' date=' not a visual, focus on the sound that you are producing and the sound you want to produce. Feel the music. - [i']I thought the guy was full of crap, he wasn't.[/i]

Strum has a great point here. For most of my 38 years on the guitar, I've made it a point to practice in a darkened room....no light, just my fingers and the fretboard and the strings and my ears. It makes the motor-patterns easier to stabilize when you just let the fingers do the walking.....try it!

And, after 38 years with one of these boxes with 6 strings in my hands, I'm still making beginner mistakes---made a few today as I was trying to get some decent plays down to post on YouTube....funny how getting in front of a camera makes you lose 37 years of experience (on second thought, it wasn't funny at all O:) ).

Dugly O:)

I'm not sure if it's already been said:

Do not think you will be content with this guitar for a few years - grow accustom to GAS.

If you are married, practice saying:

"I promise, this is the last one"

"No, that's not a new guitar, I've just had it sitting in the closet and don't bring it out much"

"I couldn't pass it up, it was a deal that only comes along once in a lifetime"

and if the disease gets real bad, secure a good divorce lawyer.

The biggest and most common beginner mistake is to ask for advice here -

now you're more confused than before:-"

A definite danger' date=' but you guys lucked out: I'm an information sponge. I see it like cramming before a big test. I say keep the thread going not just for me but for the other new guitar owners who will find their way here.

Last night I went to a Chris Cornell concert. You can read a long review of it at my blog, but I wanted to tell you guys that....

Chris and the two other guitarists kept throwing them into the crowd, and since I can't catch worth crap, I remember thinking "The only way I am getting one of those picks is if one actually hits me." And then, something sharp hit my shoulder. And I found a pick in a beer puddle at my feet.

As far as karma goes, not bad for a soon-to-be aspiring guitarist, right? 8-[

P.S thanks Lister for the Sid handle! I used it after blogspot kept rejecting my names.

Agree with above:

At first' date=' I though scales were tedious and idiotic, but I've learned to really love 'em and understand

their incredible value. Great for warming up, using to develop solos, and understand music theory.

Most teaching I've seen, though, has recommended using the 3rd finger for bends rather than the 4th,

but whatever works![/quote']

4th finger bends are only where the 4th finger falls on the 4th fret above the first finger. 4th finger pulloffs are an asset when you need to pulloff and immediately fret the 3rd. Train the fourth finger and your guitar playing skills will see increased speed.

Example: if you are playing a solo in A and your first finger is fretting A (5th fret, 1st string), the 4th finger can bend C to a D and then pulloff to the A, and so on. Use your 3rd finger on the B behind the 4th to assist in bending the C to a D. It may sound awkward if you are used to stretching the 3rd finger to reach the 4th fret, but if you develop this technique, you will advance your soling abilities immensely. Why not use 100% of your fingers? ...not just 75%!!

Another benefit is that the A major scale starts on the low A (5th fret) and then goes to the B (7th fret) of the low E string. To run the scale, you have to play the 3rd degree D-flat (4th fret 5th string) by moving your hand if you start with your 1st finger. Start the scale with your 2nd finger and the first finger is right there to hit the D-flat after your little finger frets the B.

Sounds complicated but it's not once you develop the technique.

I have an Ultra II though I've been playing for a long time. It is one of the easiest guitars to play. Really good choice for anyone.

I would agree with almost everything here except one comment by Notes Norton. Typically, everything he says is golden, and always read whatever he puts on this forum. Except this, keep the string gauge that comes with the guitar, which are 10's. The number 10, or 9, or 11 is the size of the first string. So the higher the number the thicker the strings. 9's will be too easy and won't build up hand strength. 11's are too hard and will just be frustrating. 10's will give your hand a good work out and still let you play. I think Goldilocks prefers 10's.

4th finger bends are only where the 4th finger falls on the 4th fret above the first finger. 4th finger pulloffs are an asset when you need to pulloff and immediately fret the 3rd. Train the fourth finger and your guitar playing skills will see increased speed.

Example: if you are playing a solo in A and your first finger is fretting A (5th fret' date=' 1st string), the 4th finger can bend C to a D and then pulloff to the A, and so on. Use your 3rd finger on the B behind the 4th to assist in bending the C to a D. It may sound awkward if you are used to stretching the 3rd finger to reach the 4th fret, but if you develop this technique, you will advance your soling abilities immensely. Why not use 100% of your fingers? ...not just 75%!!

Another benefit is that the A major scale starts on the low A (5th fret) and then goes to the B (7th fret) of the low E string. To run the scale, you have to play the 3rd degree D-flat (4th fret 5th string) by moving your hand if you start with your 1st finger. Start the scale with your 2nd finger and the first finger is right there to hit the D-flat after your little finger frets the B.

Sounds complicated but it's not once you develop the technique. [/quote']

Thanks.

I routinely use my 4th for fretting notes, including scales playing,

but usually I have resorted to stretch the the 3rd out for bends rather

than using the 4th, but I'll give the 4th try out.

Example: if you are playing a solo in A and your first finger is fretting A (5th fret' date=' 1st string), the 4th finger can bend C to a D and then pulloff to the A, and so on. Use your 3rd finger on the B behind the 4th to assist in bending the C to a D. It may sound awkward if you are used to stretching the 3rd finger to reach the 4th fret, but if you develop this technique, you will advance your soling abilities immensely. Why not use 100% of your fingers? ...not just 75%!!

Sounds complicated but it's not once you develop the technique. [/quote']

Dave, I'm gonna need some charts before I can figure out what you just said. I barely even know that the metal board is called a fretboard.

I'm trying to come up with a way of remembering how to assign names to notes. Identifying which sound is different is easy. Figuring out which letters go with which sound is harder, especially when it comes to the power cords.

You've almost got too much advice already, but here's mine.

Keep it clean- wash your hands before playing and wipe off the guitar when you're done.

You can't do anything until you learn how to tune it and keep it tuned.

I prefer to hang guitars on the wall rather than use a stand, it's cheaper and takes up less space.

Take it slow and accept that we all crawled before we walked. Learn children's songs to start with. There's a reason we teach them to children. They're easy and you already know how they should sound.

Did I mention keep your guitar in tune. If you think it doesn't sound right, check your tuning.

There are tons of free lessons on Youtube to play along with. Like the ones from expertvillage.

Keep asking questions.

Oh and I just realized, my signature has a nice quote from Uncle Ted describing his experience learning guitar.

Dave' date=' I'm gonna need some charts before I can figure out what you just said. I barely even know that the metal board is called a fretboard.

I'm trying to come up with a way of remembering how to assign names to notes. Identifying which sound is different is easy. Figuring out which letters go with which sound is harder, especially when it comes to the power cords. [/quote']

LOL...one of the reasons I didn't want to recomend allot of how to and don'ts. Allot of good advise so far, but IMO overwhelming for a beginer, and at this stage you pretty much haven't a clue as to what it all means.

The only 3 things you need to worry about having at this point to learn to play the guirar is a guitar, you got that, patience and determination. As I said earlier allot of beginners make the mistake in thinking it's easy and give up after a short time of failures, and there will be...gots to want it.

As far as dirrection and learning what to play, that's up to you. Depends on the type of music you want to play...no sense in getting into power chords and such if you want to be jazz player. I mean learn it all but make it easy on your self at first....stick to what you want to play. You'll get allot of help here as far as theory, chords, scales, and so on. Just got to learn what it means and what to ask...usually you learn that when you run into a wall sort of speak. Not know when you are in a middle of a maze.

I would recomend you start looking for a good guitar tech to have it set up the way you like it until you learn your self....nothing discourages beginners more than a guitar tha's hard to play. You don't have to know anything technical to explain to a GOOd Tech what you want. Just tell him you are bignner and got sissy fingers:):-k...he'll know what to do.

Lowering the action means getting the strings closer to the finger board...makes for easier playing. I'm not going to get to much into this at this point...first you might not know what any of it means and there's lots of stuff out there on the web you can read on. As far as string size I prefer 10s way over 9s any day...9s to wobbly IMO...as with all else.

There are tons of free lessons on Youtube to play along with. Like the ones from expertvillage.

Expertvillage can be good for some songs but my problem with them is that they often don't give a good explanation of how to play or that they're not playing the song correctly (i.e. bad rhythym). They also sometimes give the most difficult way to play a song rather than the easier way.

GC

Congrats! It looks wonderful. Yours can't play a single note? What a coincidence... neither can mine. #-o We're in the same boat' date=' so it's nice to have some company. Definitely keep us updated on your new axe and the progress you two are making together. :)[/quote']

What's the first thing you're gonna do with yours? Figure out how to tune it? I'm trying to do that right now... It's tough since I don't know what in-tune notes sound like yet...

Stevie Ray practiced 8 or more hours a day....every day and couldn't even afford his first strat...it was a gift from the people who loved him........

Practice and know the walls don't care.

The series of Guitar World CDs learing series is very good....they run about 10 bucks at wally world when they come out.... Andy Alderhort has some nice ones which get you going from scratch and easy to follow...

get the fingers calused...

Practice...find a good teacher if you can afford one....if not, find the type of music you like and go with learning with what pleases and interest you first.....

Biggest mistake is like exercise...know your goals, just don't do it for doing it. Master one type of music and you can change latter, if you start with something you like it works better.

To quote an old Country player: It ain't the car, it's the driver.....

Archived