Gibson Brands Forums

Riviera P-93 LE owners...what do you think, by now?

charlie brown

As I stated in another thread, I've been playing my

Riviera P-93 LE a LOT, lately...(I have played it daily,

since I got it, but even more so for longer periods,

recently)...and this guitar simply gets better and better.

I don't think (for me, anyway) the "honeymoon" will

be over...at least not for a long time.

But, it would be great to hear what other recent owner

/purchasers think/feel, about their new gutiars.

So, what say you?!

CB

You read my mind...I was thinking about just such a thread earlier today.

I really dig mine. Great looks, very comfortable to play, and it sounds awesome and has an incredible palate of tones available, both clean and dirty.

The only drawback I've found is the tuning stability. It's not horrible, but doesn't stay in tune as well as my Dot or Dot Studio. My guess would be the bridge. I've checked the nut and put some graphite in the slots, but still have tuning issues when I use the Bigsby (and no, I'm not dive bombing with it). I may consider a roller bridge some time down the line, but for now I'm fine.

It's a great guitar for sure, and a great deal at the price they're moving them at. I certainly don't regret the purchase.

Hey CB,

Glad to hear you are enjoying that p-93 so much. My Wildkat is getting it's more than fair share of playing also, even tho it has just the 2 p/us I am amazed at all I can get out of her...can only imagine what the Riviera sounds like. Maybe if I hit the lotto I can get myself one of those R p-93s myself...but with Christmas coming soon, I don't see me getting one anytime soon. Shame too because by the time I can justify buying one they will all be gone:-({|=

I did fall off the WK wagon yesterday and grab my Reactor Tele clone from Peavey. Just needed a Tele fix for a day...and it has such a sweet playing neck.

Capt

Well, I have several guitars (mostly Gretsch's) with Bigsby's, and they ALL have slight tuning issues.

Nothing really serious, but they just don't stay in tune as well as ANY of my fixed tailpiece equipped guitars.

I've always just "assumed," it was the nature of the beast, so to speak. So, have never really worried

about it. Heavier strings (10's or 11's) help, a lot! One of my Duo-jets has a roller bridge, and it doesn't

stay in tune any better, than the "barrel" bridge, on the other two Gretschs. So...??? Anyway, it's never

been what I would call Serious enough, to cause any real problems. Just have to pay a bit more attention

to tuning, now and then. But, I'm always interested in other's experiences, and suggestions, too.

CB

I use 11's' date=' so I don't think it's the strings. Like I said, it's not horrible, but not as stable as my others. Thanks for your feedback on the issue.

[/quote']

Sure..

I wonder (a little) about the tuners, but mine seem to be OK! Nice and tight, and pretty smooth,

too. Did you have to slightly ream out the slots (like with an old string), and use the graphite,

too...or just the graphite, alone? Just curious...

CB

Did you have to slightly ream out the slots (like with an old string)' date=' and use the graphite,

too...or just the graphite, alone? Just curious...

CB[/quote']

I had to file a couple of the slots because they were binding a tad. And my tuners seem fine too, I have no complaints there.

Thanks....I was curious about that. I think I may need to do that, too...but, I'll wait for the next string change. I'm

mostly playing at home, right now, so it's not that critical. But, all in all...I think these Riviera P-93 LE's are awesome

guitars! I'm REALLY glad, I pulled the trigger on this baby! I love the tone you get, when the bottom volume control

is all the way on! Sounds really "Gretschy," with a bit of Telecaster mixed in...or that kind of "in between" pickup sound

on a Strat, too...but warmer/rounder, somehow. Just so many possiblities!

CB

Thanks....I was curious about that. I think I may need to do that' date=' too...but, I'll wait for the next string change. I'm

mostly playing at home, right now, so it's not that critical. But, all in all...I think these Riviera P-93 LE's are awesome

guitars! I'm REALLY glad, I pulled the trigger on this baby! I love the tone you get, when the bottom volume control

is all the way on! Sounds really "Gretschy," with a bit of Telecaster mixed in...or that kind of "in between" pickup sound

on a Strat, too...but warmer/rounder, somehow. Just so many possiblities!

CB[/quote']

Wahhhhhhhh !!! Stop it you guys the GAS is killing me!:)

Do you have any problem with the middle pick up being in the way? I do alot of fingerpicking' date=' with and without a thumb pick and find that a middle pick up sometimes is in the way.[/quote']

Ummmm, not really...but I don't use finger picks, so..??? The middle pickup is actually a bit lower

than the bridge and neck pickups. Visually, it might seem like it's in the way, but once you get

used to it, being there...it doesn't seem (to me, anyway) to be a problem. I don't hit it, when

picking, at all. And I LOVE the tonal possibilities (which I'm still discovering), that it allows. McGuinn

uses finger picks and a flat pick together on his 3 pickup signature Rickenbacker, so I would think

you'd get used to it? But, everyone's different.

CB

Do you have any problem with the middle pick up being in the way? I do alot of fingerpicking' date=' with and without a thumb pick and find that a middle pick up sometimes is in the way.[/quote']

When I play fingerstyle I don't use a thumb pick and I have no problem with any pickup being in the way. When I flatpick I sometimes feel it touch the cover of the pickup while playing, but it makes no noise and doesn't cause a distraction. I had the same concern myself before I ordered the guitar, but that has long since faded.

i, being a newbie to setting up a guitar, took mine to local luthier and had him give it the once over. After setting it up for 11's, and adjusting the pole screws to balance out the tones. he and the workers in the shop could not put it down. I have enjoyed it greatly. still getting use to bigsby. not used it much.

Luther recommeded tuner change as first upgrade when i was ready for one. stated the epi label tuners where cheap. This could be one of the tuning issues leading to 6string's problem. Stated with schaller locking tuners, i would not need to change bridge.

he really liked the wood and loved the tones he got out of her. As, true to epi form; he felt epi wood's are great but hardware can be cheap. upgrade the hardware and bam you have a gibson for 1/3rd to 1/5th the cost.

But for now, loving it. [-X/

I've resisted replying to this thread, but after three glasses of Chardonnay, I guess I might as well respond and then go to bed.

My response to the Riviera is an attitude change on my part. When I'm playing a Byrdland or my high-end PRS SC, I tend to lean toward jazz or other old fart stuff. When I have the Riviera on my lap, those three P90's sort of loosen my right brain to the exclusion of my left brain. And I like to use it with the Musser rings (but don't use the Bigsby at all...and wish it weren't there).

Am I the only guy with an "attitude change" when playing this guitar? Can a guitar's sound or appearance change your playing style or attitude?

I've resisted replying to this thread' date=' but after three glasses of Chardonnay, I guess I might as well respond and then go to bed.

My response to the Riviera is an attitude change on my part. When I'm playing a Byrdland or my high-end PRS SC, I tend to lean toward jazz or other old fart stuff. When I have the Riviera on my lap, those three P90's sort of loosen my right brain to the exclusion of my left brain. And I like to use it with the Musser rings (but don't use the Bigsby at all...and wish it weren't there).

Am I the only guy with an "attitude change" when playing this guitar? Can a guitar's sound or appearance change your playing style or attitude?[/quote']

LOL! I was wondering when you'd respond. No...attitude changes, even music style changes, from guitar to

guitar are not uncommon...at least, for me. But, I find this lovely instrument can go "Blues" to "Jazz," quite

easily. Then, with some switch/dial setting changes, you're in "Rock a Billy" territory...and/or early "Beatles"

tones! I love it, more all the time. I think I might change tuners, too...eventually, but probably to the Grover, (either the Kluson type...like is on it...only better quality), or the Rotomatic 18:1. But, that's not really

needed, yet! Amazing, lovely guitar...IMHO! But, I love Thin-line Semi's with P-90 tone, anyway.

CB

I just got over hating you Wildkat owners..

Now I have to hate RP90- owners.

and some of you twice which is really confusing!

Maybe I'll sell off my super modded lp..

*S*

TWANG

Grover has a new locking tuner by the way.

they got rid of the slotted top post.. sometimes when you break a string close to the post you have to diddle that back and forth until

the string comes out.. now they have a knob on the back.. lock it in.. it breaks later, you unlock it and that's it!

I've got a couple of sets coming in. and I'll report.. but I'm sure they're nice.

ok, enough. where are the pics. i really want to upgrade tuners on p93 and dot. i like imperial for p93 and keystone for dot. so, pics of either would be great. as well as who u got them from, if u had a match or had to retrofit.

](*,):-s :-s

There are like at least 5 guys in this forum that have sliped on the weak moment of their emotions and bought one of these and so far as I can recall only Charlie Brown has actually posted some pictures. C'mon others... show us your beauties!!!!

There are like at least 5 guys in this forum that have sliped on the weak moment of their emotions and bought one of these and so far as I can recall only Charlie Brown has actually posted some pictures. C'mon others... show us your beauties!!!!

I did, but they weren't so good. I'll try some more this weekend. My house is such a mess lately (too many animals) that I have to photograph it outdoors.

• 2 months later...

Archived