Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Darkfire

TWANG

Why because you had to make fun of your beloved rickenbacker brand? LOL! I kid I kid.

GC

Nah, Chico...I made fun of that, when it was introduced! LOL!

What I meant, was...The thought of "live"music/performance being relegated to "Karaoke" like "happenings,"

is very depressing, to me![-X I guess I'm more "old/old fashioned" than I realized? LOL! I like/love

the whole guitar experience, acoustic and electric. When "technology" starts messing with that, as

interesting as it might end up being...I find it somewhat depressing. That's all. Not saying I'm "right"...

Just a feeling, you know?

CB

Seems like a Gibson LP Studio, with a Plus Top, and Line 6 (but probably more advanced?) Vari-axe

electronics, along with the robot tuning....??? The top seems nicely done, but the body itself looks a

bit "rough," doesn't it? So, is that part going to be "faded" or BFG style "rough out?" The inlays

are of similar (maybe the same) material as the Soap-bar pickup, seemingly. It will be interesting,

to see where it's priced, in relation to "normal" (Analog...LOL) LP's.

CB

Actually, in the pictures the top looks a lot like the Epiphone Prophecy GX. I was very disappointed in Fender's

VG Strat ... the other "does it all guitar". None of the tones (other than the strat, naturally) sounded anything like what they were supposed to be ... even the telecaster sound was off quite a bit. And $1800 for a basic American Standard Stratocaster was just too much!

I gotta admit, I'm more than a little intrigued by this apparent Gibson attempt. God only know what its gonna cost ... or sound like.

MIDI

What I meant' date=' was...The thought of "live"music/performance being relegated to "Karaoke" like "happenings,"

is very depressing, to me!:^o I guess I'm more "old/old fashioned" than I realized? LOL! I like/love

the whole guitar experience, acoustic and electric. When "technology" starts messing with that, as

interesting as it might end up being...I find it somewhat depressing. That's all. Not saying I'm "right"...

Just a feeling, you know? CB[/quote']

Well there will always be the purists around to play these instruments designed back in the 40s and 50s.

Maybe there was also some innovation (besided p_up technology; like the active pickups and different magnets

available today), but other than some curiosities, most of the guitar market up to now has been based

on the original designs from Gibson (and other makers too) from the 50s.

I think it was Confucious (or maybe some other famous philosopher) that once said "We live in interesting

times"...witnessed from the this weeks events in the presidential race. Most of us that grew up with

Gibson/F*nder/Guild and Epiphone can only relate to guitars of "our generation"...but just like Karoke

and digital CDs have replaced old technology 45/33rpm vinyl records, so will the advent of new technology

in guitars keep the next generation interested in music.

Most kids in the "technology revolution" of the 90s and today are not going to relate to those "old instruments"

like jazz archtops or nylon string classicals..they want to be part of the young generation's experience and

what they see on TV and video games, such as Guitar Hero I,II, World Tour etc.

That plastic guitar shaped game console with imprinted with Gibson on it, was a

smart move..because when those kids grow up playing and being part of the

virtual video rock scene, they may actually want to try to play a Gibson robot guitar

or even a virtual guitar if it's available.

But technology has to gain acceptance by the people that use it. I can't relate to

text messaging and all of these new fangled I-phones..it''s just too much for my

old brain..but I can use a computer and a cell phone and that is more than my

father or grandfather who could turn on a radio and maybe be able to call

someone on magneto phone or rotary dial. I would also like to say that I am

proud to be part of the process of innovation in the 80s, that turned analog

phone networks into digital and cell phones.

I think that this time Gibson has got it right and they are very smart to start

the innovation process on the next generation of guitars , (for the next decade

and beyond). The kids born today are evolving with constant change and advances

in technology. They enjoy being entertained,

whether it's a big screen tv or a interactive video game, and they don't want

to spend years learning doing something like playing a guitar.

They just have too many other high tech innovations competing for their time.

Actually' date=' in the pictures the top looks a lot like the Epiphone Prophecy GX. I was very disappointed in Fender's

VG Strat ... the other "does it all guitar". None of the tones (other than the strat, naturally) sounded anything like what they were supposed to be ... even the telecaster sound was off quite a bit. And $1800 for a basic American Standard Stratocaster was just too much!

I gotta admit, I'm more than a little intrigued by this apparent Gibson attempt. God only know what its gonna cost ... or sound like.

MIDI[/quote']

Like or not fellow guitar players, we are now in a technology period that is driving

innovation to hold on to market share. Gibson, F*nder, and others are starting to

see the "writing on the wall", with the asian factories ramping up to mass produce guitar

clones in the LP style. Their share of that guitar "pie" is shrinking.

Clones (and fakes) are starting to appear everywhere now.

The solution is innovation and proprietary sealed electronics to create new demand for

their guitars. As well, as the years go by, the old generation of archtop/flat top players

is slowly being replaced by the new generation that are looking for "something else".

Yes, there will always be a market for traditional instruments, but if a company wants to

continue growing in this day and age of "global economies", it has be innovate new products

tocreate a demand.

Just like there are some digital emulators (Podxt etc) for unique EFX and popular

amp "sound signatures" in one box, there is also a demand today for different styles of pickups.

Wouldn't it be nice to just be able to dial in that P-90, Classic 57, F*nder Strat

SC, SD, DiMarzio Distortion, on a dial on your LP rather than have to go through

all the trouble of swapping and evaluating different pickups?

Ted McCarty had the vision in the early 50's that they needed something

"different" to compete with Leo Fender... and their version should have a carved top,

because most of their guitars had carved tops and they wanted to offer something

different from the competition.

At least someone in corporate has supplied the vision for the next generation of

guitars that can be considered exclusive LPs to Gibson, maybe even Epiphone.

Innovation, and forward thinking/action is Great! But, when it will end up replacing "people" in jobs,

beit manufacturing, or entertainment, with robots and endless digital loops, programmed robotically,

or even by a select few "people," where is the "joy" and feeling of accomplishment, then?! A totally

"Techno" society, is just around the corner...and a short corner, it will be. There is some concern too,

that all this "electronic" stuff isn't even healthy...cell phones, in particular. Tech societies, all advertising

BS aside, move people away from people! Increase one's dependency ON Tech stuff, and increase

dissatisfaction, and impatience, with less than the "newest greatest thing!" We get so bored (already), with our

new toys, so soon...that before the wrapping paper is thrown away...we want something else.

We've created a disposible society, that some day soon, will dispose of us...and not bat a LED, in the process.

CB

Archived