Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall Avt20?

Geetar_Axl

Absolutely!!!

I have an AVT50 which is superb. The 20 & 50 watt versions have spring reverb as oppesed to the higher wattage models with inbuilt digital effects. (YUK!)

The AVT's have an ECC83 tube powered preamp and solid state power amp. Mine's a 2000 build and I believe the older Valvestate 2000 series are in some way nicer than the newer models, don't know why though.

Anyway, great amp, very underrated. I bought a Marshall Vintage Modern 50 watt half-stack last year and to be honest I prefer the AVT tone for my blues / blues rock tastes. I'm not snubbing the VM, just prefer the AVT. It sounds even better plugged into the VM quad box!!!

I'm a hardcore vintage tone freak but I just can't deny what my ears tell me, of course we're all different!!! They're a great cheap amp that are well worth the money, particularly second hand.

If you have the option of the AVT50, I'd go for that for the extra "oomph" and the second channel.

Absolutely!!!

I have an AVT50 which is superb. The 20 & 50 watt versions have spring reverb as oppesed to the higher wattage models with inbuilt digital effects. (YUK!)

The AVT's have an ECC83 tube powered preamp and solid state power amp. Mine's a 2000 build and I believe the older Valvestate 2000 series are in some way nicer than the newer models' date=' don't know why though.

Anyway, great amp, very underrated. I bought a Marshall Vintage Modern 50 watt half-stack last year and to be honest I prefer the AVT tone for my blues / blues rock tastes. I'm not snubbing the VM, just prefer the AVT. It sounds even better plugged into the VM quad box!!!

I'm a hardcore vintage tone freak but I just can't deny what my ears tell me, of course we're all different!!! They're a great cheap amp that are well worth the money, particularly second hand.

If you have the option of the AVT50, I'd go for that for the extra "oomph" and the second channel.

[/quote']

Very good points. Best thing for original poster to do is go into the store and try different amps. Find what sounds best to him. We all have different tastes and as they say, one man's ceiling is another man's floor.

I have a AVT50 2000 series as well. Its a great amp!

I also owned the original valvestate from about 15 years ago...

The 2000 series is much better. More bottom end, amd more realistic sounding snarl.

The only problem I have is when I first turn it on it makes a funny noise for about 20 seconds.

Then alls well. I even changed the 12AX7 tube but the noise is still there at startup.

I still use it, and I cant say enough good things about it.

+1 for the tube amp. iv had 2 valvestate amps wich were and old 8240 and also and avt275. take my advice (if you want) they get close to a real tube sound but just dont quite cut it. i finally went all tube after those amps and believe me it was worth it. the valvestates are very good and tough but for tone wait the extra bit and go tube.

I have a AVT50 2000 series as well. Its a great amp!

I also owned the original valvestate from about 15 years ago...

The 2000 series is much better. More bottom end' date=' amd more realistic sounding snarl.

The only problem I have is when I first turn it on it makes a funny noise for about 20 seconds.

Then alls well. I even changed the 12AX7 tube but the noise is still there at startup.

I still use it, and I cant say enough good things about it.[/quote']

I have the AVT50 halfstack and think it alright. I prefer my TSL60 way better but for the

money its pretty decent.

Deepblue, I would check your fan for the noise problem. I had mine go bad a few years back and

had some burnt up parts replaced under warranty.

Recently my fan would make noise for 15-20 seconds at start up then went away.

Noise went away and the fan still turns so I'm not worried.

I'm still rocking a 1995 hybrid amp and love it. Good enough for the studio and small venues. Large venue? Mic it. It's only a 1x12 though, so some time soon I'll throw some coin at something that moves a little more air. But that ValveState owes me nothing. So build/reliability wise, +1 for the Marshall.

I have a AVT-20, that I've owned about 8 years...great little amp, but not perfect.

No channel switching (and, in that price point, probably not unexpected...then),

and the difference when going from clean to punching the button to get that "Marshall

Growl" is tremendous. So, for practice it's OK. For "gigs," I'd get the AVT-50 with

channel switching...and a bit more "umph!" TUBE amps, will always "Rule" in my book,

but for what it is, the AVT-20 is decent!

CB

Archived