Gibson Brands Forums

Can a flame maple veneer finish deepen with age?

Guest alanhindle

Guest alanhindle

My honeyburst Epi Les Paul standard plus, which I've had for a year now, has been kept in the open in a reasonably light and airy room.

The honey finish seems, to me, to have deepened lately and the cream binding seems, well, creamier. I really like how the guitar looks at the moment because the veneer seems to look more natural and the whole guitar appears more vintage looking.

Surely the colour hasn't changed that much since I bought the guitar and if it did it would get lighter. Am I going mad? It could be just the dull UK climate at this time of year- we don't get a lot of sun in the autumn and winter.

Has anybody else with a LP standard plus noticed this?

NB. My avatar pic and this pic were taken at nightime under artificial light but you can see the contrast with my new Wildkat in antique natural.

Alan

DSC01721.jpg

I agree to both comments

1) Probably the varnish with maybe a little change from the wood aging. However, the wood is controlled (dried) before assembly, so I would agree on the varnish.

2) Those are two exquisite examples - and I have a special place in my heart for the Wildkat. You did take the plastic protective covering off the pick-ups, correct?

If you do happen to catch a day with some nice sunshine, take her outside. I personally doubt that any color change has happened since the Maple is a veneer and is coated in Poly, which doesn't age like Nitro. Then again, I could be wrong. Would have to see it in person.

If you do happen to catch a day with some nice sunshine' date=' take her outside. I personally doubt that any color change has happened since the Maple is a veneer and is coated in Poly, which doesn't age like Nitro. Then again, I could be wrong. Would have to see it in person.[/quote']

I'm not certain putting any guitar in direct sunlight for any period of time is a brilliant idea...especially not in hopes of it getting a sun tan.

The "yellowing" that is often a desirable quality of vintage guitars is a result of a photo-reactive change in the nitro-cellulose lacquer, that was used in the paints and clear top coats of these vintage instruments, when they were exposed to UV radiation a/ka "sunlight". The color fading and figure-enhancing seen on some vintage guitars is the result of a similar photo-reactive change in the aneline dyes that were used in the staining and painting of vintage guitars. The same exposure to UV radiation caused the reds to fade leaving the infamous "no burst" patterns of the old Les Paul Models.

Modern finishes don't do that. Polyurethane finishes are essentially plastic coatings and not subject to the yellowing effects that nitro-cellulose finishes are. The veneers on the Epiphone guitars are so thin that the coloration of them is also essentially a "dyed-in-the-wool" result so there isn't going to be the color fading that happened with the once-used aneline dyes.

I'm certain that over time there'll be some changes in the finish especially if subjected to environmental factors such as cigarette smoking and some UV effect is will occur with exposure to sunlight but it's not going to be as pronounced or as profound as is found with vintage finishes. I still wouldn't intentionally subject the guitar to extended periods of direct sunlight exposure.

Nelson

I'm not certain putting any guitar in direct sunlight for any period of time is a brilliant idea...especially not in hopes of it getting a sun tan.

Ah, what I meant was to take her outside to see if the finish had truly darkened in natural light, since he said he was taking the pictures under artificial light.

Ah' date=' what I meant was to take her outside to see if the finish had truly darkened in natural light, since he said he was taking the pictures under artificial light.[/quote'] Good point - I know my honeyburst looks MUCH MUCH lighter under direct lighting, especially sunlight (looks almost yellow !!!) .... indirect lighting outdoors seems to look a lil "darker," and indirect lighting indoors makes it lean even more towards the brown side...... seems it's all in the light (source/angle/type) - perhaps honeybursts moreso ??? I have a natural finish spruce-top acoustic, and it pretty much looks the same whenever/wherever....my honeyburst, always different...for better or worse (I rather like the "variability) My sig pic was taken outdoors with the sun on the other side of the house.....so this would be "midway" between the lightest it looks and the brownest it looks, fwiw. =D>

I'm certain that over time there'll be some changes in the finish especially if subjected to environmental factors such as cigarette smoking and some UV effect is will occur with exposure to sunlight but it's not going to be as pronounced or as profound as is found with vintage finishes. I still wouldn't intentionally subject the guitar to extended periods of direct sunlight exposure.

Nelson

Let us not forget cats, a cat can turn anything yellow.

Let us not forget cats' date=' a cat can turn anything yellow.[/quote']

I only ever had one cat take a squirt on my equipment in the past 35 years, and by all indications, it was because she hated the glue stench coming out of the case.

I'd been considering replacing the case eventually anyway (I hated the smell myself)...she just expedited my decision.

Guest alanhindle

Thanks Guys for the explanations of the ageing processes occuring with the different finishes and thanks too for the complements about my LP and Wildkat. I love all of my guitars and I just can't ever see me wanting to part with any of them, although I may have to if I eventually upgrade any of them. Even though my Yama*a could be seen as less pleasing on the eye compared to the others it has a very fast action, great sounding pickups and has been with me since 1987 so it has sentimental value too.

Strum, to answer your question- Don't worry, the plastic has been taken off the Wildkat pickups. The photo was taken on the day I got it and before I had properly inspected it.

Incidentally, we did have a bit of sun today but the colour still didn't lighten up as much as I remember it being over the summer. I'll try and dig out some older photos of it if I can. Failing that, I suppose the only thing to do would be to revisit this post in the summer and we'll see if it has reverted back to a brighter finish.

Direct Daylight (noon) is approx. 5000-6000 degrees kelvin (very white).

Indoor lighting (homes) mostly "Tungsten" or 3200 degrees kelvin, or less. MUCH warmer/amber in color.

Florescent lighting, can be "greenish, bluish, even magenta in color...so, it will look much different under those

conditions, as well.

Just some more reasons, to check out a guitar's finish/color, in "sunlight" as opposed to "in store" lighting.

The differences can be pretty dramatic, at times.

CB

Archived