Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V

Guitar Chico

So what do you guys think about V's? What's the neck like? What kinda tones can you get out of it? I don't really know much about them but there are many here who know that I sure do love the look. I'd go out and play one but the music store that I'm close to doesn't have any in stock.

GC

I've owned several...Gibson reissue, Ibanez "Rocket Roll" model, a handmade one from a NY luthier whose name escapes me at the moment.

Nice guitars if you're into the "flash" factor. They looked cool onstage, but tonally, they ALL reminded me of a Les Paul. That's NOT to be taken as a bad thing. I love LPs, but now that I've officially reached "old fart" status, I'll just stick with the Pauls in the first place!

Forget stting down and playing one too...but then again, Rock 'N Roll wasn't meant to be played sitting down...

The 58 has a wide neck, but its not real thick. The guitar its self is light for its size, must be that Korina veneer LOL. They have there own sound, not as thick of tone as the other models, but they do cut thur. all in all a fun guitar to play, with the best neck access of any guitar i own. I highly recomend them. Stan.MVC-014F-1.jpg

Interested in comparisons between the Gib and Epi Vs. I've played the faded Gibbie and liked it a lot--loved the "wide/thin" neck, and the sound, yeah, it was LP-ish. Now the Epi is different wood and a vastly different tailpiece. So this all, then, makes it do...what, by comparison?

I have an Epiphone korina Flying V. I don't play it often, but when I do, I have no trouble playing it sitting down - the bottom leg of the V goes between my legs & the point of the V rests on my right leg. Now that I've got a new camera, I'll post some pictures when I get a minute. (And when someone reminds me how to do it.)

Archived