Gibson Brands Forums

What's your biggest hurdle for improving?

Just Strum

Another thing might be....unrealistic expectations...all at once? So many get frustrated and then "apathetic,"

due to wanting to be "Hendrix, Clapton, or (insert favorite guitar hero)..."right now!" LOL! I know a lot of that

happens when you're younger, and things feel like they need to be more immediate, maybe? I realized a long

time ago, that I would be much better off, taking my time...really listening and learning licks and phrases, in

smaller portions, THEN piecing it together. I've never learned to read "shaped notes"/sheet music, so have

always "played by ear." Thank God, for chord charts, though. LOL! Even after a 30 year hiatus, I'm still a better

player, now, than I was as a kid. Even though I'm still nowhere close, to where I'd like to be, as a player.

I was more adventuresome as a kid, but I've learned to be a lot more patient, the older I get.

BUT...frustration and impatience can still be a factor, no doubt! Oh, and stiff fingers are becoming

more of a factor, too...but, so far...it's not too bad. Here's hoping....

CB

Seriously??

FLOW!!!!! It gets frustrating sometimes when trying a new song or exercise even, and you start off fingers and thumbs, Fingers and thumbs, Fingers and Thumbs...then fingers... and averylittle progression is made the you think "ahhhh....made a little progress today" only for the same mistake to return a day later. Thunderstruck - AC/DC is one such track that hinders me. Sometimes its there, and you can feel it then other days that other "digit" gets in the way...

So I'd say getting songs to flow.....

Lack of practice, period. I jam with a friend once a week, about 3 hours. And I love it.

But playing alone at home is just plain boring. I think I need a way to play along with

some backing tracks, so I can work on lead parts (and have a little more fun). Anybody

know where I can get some backing tracks to burn to a CD?

Lack of practice' date=' period. I jam with a friend once a week, about 3 hours. And I love it.

But playing alone at home is just plain boring. I think I need a way to play along with

some backing tracks, so I can work on lead parts (and have a little more fun). Anybody

know where I can get some backing tracks to burn to a CD?[/quote']

www.guitarbackingtrack.com

They got free tracks, some awesome, some suck, there's tons available so I'm sure you'll find something to suit your taste!

On topic, I'm still a beginner so there's plenty hurdles for me to take... first one is getting smooth chord transitions, next getting the 5 pentatonic patterns in my system, at good speed and in multiple scale patterns (down and up in threes, in fours, groups of three) and lastly to be able to do some basic solo improv using the pentatonic patterns... that's for the first year lol. I'm beginning to build some hand strength for barre chords, and now I find it easier to use barre major scale chords because I can shift my hand around but not have to reposition so many fingers.

Arthritis. My damn hands hurt so bad these days I can't even maintain my present level let alone improve.

Cod Liver Oil Capsules Dude, Cod Liver Oil. Lubricates the joints and ... Aye Voila yer back, quick get the tour booked call the agent...

Lack of practice' date=' period. I jam with a friend once a week, about 3 hours. And I love it.

know where I can get some backing tracks to burn to a CD?[/quote']

Also try http://www.cvls.com/

They have some free lessons etc., and the backing track cd's they sell are reasonable ($10 +/-). I've got three of them and they're pretty decent.

I got a call from the drummer/band leader/booking agent from our old band today (Yes, he did all this very well for us). He's starting the band back up and has two female singers, one male singer, drums, three horn players, keyboards, bass player, rhythm guitar player, and is looking for a lead player. I turned him down graciously. I just don't have the energy to hold down an intense full time job and do that again. It was tempting though; The local competition is getting $3000-$4000 a night for playing the same music with one singer and no harmony.

He will do well with the new group. This guy has a talent for booking bands and keeping them busy without doing the night club circuit. He has contacts in the money crowd and can book the band in the doctor and lawyer type parties (the ones with the heavy wallets). We played the same circles doing classic rock and nostalgia from the 50's and 60s and made lots of money in the 70s and the 80s. Most of our gigs were in hotel ballrooms and country clubs in Atlanta and Macon. He splits the money evenly and doesn't take anything for doing the booking.

There's lots of money out there if you play the right tunes and get into the money crowd for bookings. I have friends who are playing $300 gigs in bars with four members in the band making $75 a night. These people will average $200 to $400 a night each and not have to deal with obnoxious low-life drunks. (grin).

I guess I'll have to go listen to them and sit in from time to time. I just don't have the energy to get back in the grind. I'm happy doing the praise band thing at church. I get about three hours a week of play and practice time in doing that in addition to my home practice and it's just about right. Still tempting though.

There's lots of money out there if you play the right tunes and get into the money crowd for bookings. I have friends who are playing $300 gigs in bars with four members in the band making $75 a night. These people will average $200 to $400 a night each and not have to deal with obnoxious low-life drunks. (grin).

I hear ya. Tempting, but a lot of work. I too, have friends in cover bands who are currently playing gigs and those jobs are paying the same as they did back in the '70-80's. The "money crowds" are different than the local club owners. Anyway, as far as the topic? My hurdle is similar to most of y'all here; finding the time to practice and improve...

Patience Strum! I'm taking the same course you are and I get frustrated making the same mistakes over and over again. I just quit for awhile and get back later on after I've cooled off. I'm 59 and retired now so time isn't really a problem. Of course I wish I'd learned years ago but as a kid playing ball and girls took prefrence over guitar.

Of course I wish I'd learned years ago but as a kid playing ball and girls took prefrence over guitar.

Well, I didn't play ball as a kid, I picked up a guitar instead. That also took care of the girls issue too LOL!!

Archived