Gibson Brands Forums

What's your biggest hurdle for improving?

Just Strum

The long slope upward when trying something new. Sometimes it makes it too daunting to try something new. I want to work on some open tunings so I can use slide. There are so damned many open tunings, I don't know which one to adopt. I would hate to spend months on one open tuning only to decide that I should have used another.

Finding people to play with, that want to do something a bit more interesting/challenging, and/or

finding the motivation, to do that, on my own...challenge myself more, that is. I have a tendency,

as I know a lot of other's here do, too (by what they've said) to get into "ruts," more than I'd like. But,

with no real outlet, much anymore, it's easy to do just that. Those of you who live in more urban

areas, probably have (at least a few) more options, for playing with others. "Jam nights," "open

mic" evenings...clubs to go to, just to listen and get more ideas/inspiration, etc. Out here, in the

"sticks" that's a lot harder to find/do. But, for various reasons, I can't really do much else...right now,

anyway. So, that would be MY biggest hurdle, seemingly.

CB

There are so damned many open tunings' date=' I don't know which one to adopt. I would hate to spend months on one open tuning only to decide that I should have used another. [/quote']

That's why I experiment a lot. With open tunings and all other variations I can find on the guitar.

That's why I experiment a lot. With open tunings and all other variations I can find on the guitar.

I have a book of tunings. I guess I'll just need to plow through them.

I sure would like to know how Charley Patton played the guitar. I think he put it on his lap, and may have used a knife. Too bad Charley didn't have YouTube.

I have a book of tunings. I guess I'll just need to plow through them.

You might find experimenting in open E is useful [low to high: E B E G# B E] - hammer on the 3rd & 4th strings at the 3rd & 5th frets' date=' then try the repetitive slide from the 10th to the 12th. You'll be dusting your broom in no time.

P.S. I'm sure that I don't need to tell you this...but don't try this with your favourite Gibson Hummingbird (or whatever) - or if you do, tune to open D and capo at the 2nd fret and move everything up the fretboard... The open E tuning is quite, er, [i']taught[/i]. Doesn't work too well with the modern floating Strat bridges either, but my G-400 handles the abuse just fine.

Lack Of Progress!!! Time is no problem. That's what "retired" does for you. Seeming to have reach a plateau in my playing. I can't help but thinking that I should be much farther along in my quest to play this instrument. But, it seems no matter how much time I devote to practice, here I sit.

What's your biggest hurdle for improving?

This is more of a "was" situation for me back in 1978' date=' when I locked myself into learning every Van Halen lick default_eusa_wall.gif... That period of my musical life was stumped, and all I could think of was cranking my Marshall full stack, and everything had to have echo and flanger. Basically I lost my roundness as a musician for a short stint (1.5 years).

It was 2x harder getting back to my musical identity after I finally got over my Eddie VH identity crisis.

The moral I guess is try not to lock yourself into one type of music and handcuffing yourself by specializing in one type of playing style. Not only will it get boring for yourself, but also for the people that you jam with, and for the people that come watch you jam.

Took this from another forum' date=' but it made for some interesting comments. Over at the other forum "time" is leading the way.

Mine

* Short attention span

* time

* patience - wanting to be good, no make that great, NOW!!![/quote']

those. Anyway, anyone ever go on Ultimate Guitar's forums? I know Iansmitchell has an account there, as do I.

We had a similar thread there, and the most reason was apathy.

...getting stuck in the minor blues scale to the exclusion of almost everything else.

I just purchased a book of modes & scales to try and 'break out' a little...

+1

Also stuck in just the major scales. I've been trying to work in the melodic minor scale into my playing most recently.

What keeps me from progressing now is work,college, and hunting. Maybe that would be considered a time issue:)

I have improved more the past 2 months than I ever have. I have played on and off for 10 years with a year or 2 between picking up the guitar again. When I first started I was stuck on tab and was progressing good but even though lead and tabs is awesome, I want to play rhythem mostly. For the past 2 months 4 buddies and I have been playing every tuesday night together, one buddy had a band in the past, and I have learnt so much more than I ever had. I was having strumming problems on a song and the one buddy took my hand and showed me how to strum that particular song and in a matter of two minutes I could now play a whole song:) If I would have played this much while trying to learn what I am learning over the past 10 years I would be good by now. It always seems like I progress good until a woman comes into the picture then I dont play much....until recently.....I found out I am happier with female "friends" instead of a commitment because I now concentrate more on the relationships with the guitars.

Time is an issue for me. The main issue though, really, is finding others to play with. I'm learning blues, but all the local small bands or musicians near me are into rock (mainly covers). I've managed to find a drummer that does blues and jazz, and my wife is taking up bass, but there's still not enough for my dream of a big band!

You improve SO much quicker when you are playing with other like minded individuals.

Apathy? I'm not sure apathy is the word, but there is a hint of that for me. I do know that I play fairly well and we play a wide variety of music. I would like to increase my speed, not to just play fast all the time, but to play fast to reach a note or phrase. To make a statement when I play. I like to play lyrically so what I play could be sung. My problem is that I know I can do that fairly well, and I can put emotion in to my playing as well, so, I don't spend time practicing on speed. I don't want this to sound like I'm all that great, I'm adequate. Apathy? I think the word for me is lazy.

I play piano as well. One of my downsides for piano is I can't site read for beans. I can read the right hand okay, but not both very well. I have a similar problem here as well. I know how to read charts and make the piano sound good, so I get lazy and don't practice reading music because it is work. A lot of the contemporary pieces that I have worked on sound okay, but I honestly think that what I do sounds better for most of them. Again, I'm not trying to say I am all that great, I'm not. I'm adequate.

So, bottom line for me, I'm lazy. And doing what I know I need to do to improve is work.

Archived