Gibson Brands Forums

Question Du Jour - How did the Beatles make the CAT Scan possible?

JefferySmith

This is a bit of minutia that my father told me decades ago when he was a hospital administrator. I'm not sure if the answer is out there on the Internet.
:) Do YOU have "the answer " ???!!!??? Enquiring minds want to know :- LOL ...... very funny (at least I hope it was meant to be...)

Profits from the group's records were redirected by EMI to research on the CT machine' date=' which they would eventually manufacture.[/quote']

You got it. Epstein used to make the financial arrangements for them, and he would settle for a ridiculously low amount (pennies on the dollar). EMI started making money hand over fist from the Beatles' album sales, providing them with tons of R&D money for the CAT scan.

That may be true. But that doesn't mean they "made the CAT scan possible."

It means they unknowingly, helped with the development of it. It's not like it would have been impossible to invent it without their help.

That's a big difference IMO.

Epstein used to make the financial arrangements for them' date=' and he would settle for a ridiculously low amount (pennies on the dollar).[/quote']

I reckon Epstein gets a bad rap. I remember reading Albert Goldman's scathing remarks about Epstein's fiscal abilities in his biography of John Lennon, noting that Epstein initially settled for fractions of one penny.

Truth is, at the time he struck his first deals, the Pound wasn't really the universal unit of currency in Britain. Of course it existed, but the standard, really, was the Shilling. There were 12 old pence in one shilling, so his deals look more favourable when one is interpreting them based around a fraction of 1/12 as opposed to 1/100 (there being 100 pennies in the post 1971 decimal Pound Sterling, which we still use today.)

Also consider that it was the early 1960s, and he was trying to persuade London businessmen to invest in an obscure group from the north of England. As George Martin said of **** Rowe, his counterpart at Decca records "I really couldn't blame the chap who turned them down."

Without Brian Epstein, the Beatles would have grown old in the cellars of Hamburg and Liverpool...

That may be true. But that doesn't mean they "made the CAT scan possible."

It means they unknowingly' date=' helped with the development of it. It's not like it would have been impossible to invent it without their help.

That's a big difference IMO.[/quote']

I never said that it would have been otherwise impossible to invent the CAT scan! If you are going to disagree with a statement, don't make up something absurd and then attribute it to me.

And I don't agree that the Beatles had to know about it. How does their not knowing what EMI is doing with all of the money make it less of a factor? And how do you know that they didn't know about it? The guy selling the CAT scan 4 decades ago said that they couldn't have done it without that money. I guess he didn't know squat. Thanks for setting the record straight.

I reckon Epstein gets a bad rap. I remember reading Albert Goldman's scathing remarks about Epstein's fiscal abilities in his biography of John Lennon' date=' noting that Epstein initially settled for fractions of one penny.

Truth is, at the time he struck his first deals, the Pound wasn't really the universal unit of currency in Britain. Of course it existed, but the standard, really, was the Shilling. There were 12 old pence in one shilling, so his deals look more favourable when one is interpreting them based around a fraction of 1/12 as opposed to 1/100 (there being 100 pennies in the post 1971 decimal Pound Sterling, which we still use today.)

Also consider that it was the early 1960s, and he was trying to persuade London businessmen to invest in an obscure group from the north of England. As George Martin said of **** Rowe, his counterpart at Decca records "I really couldn't blame the chap who turned them down."

Without Brian Epstein, the Beatles would have grown old in the cellars of Hamburg and Liverpool...[/quote']

Here we go again. I didn't say that the Beatles would have made it big without Brian Epstein. Just the opposite. He cleaned them up and made them palatable to the biggest audience possible.

This forum is seriously beginning to suck.

Here we go again. I didn't say that the Beatles would have made it big without Brian Epstein. Just the opposite. He cleaned them up and made them palatable to the biggest audience possible.

This forum is seriously beginning to suck.

Well...Bollocks! What's going on around here?:) :) Seems some folks need to get "laid!" LOL!

And that is not directed at anyone in particular, just this increasing antagonistic feeling,

lately. Maybe, it's just filtering down, from all the "bollocks" in the world??!

CB8-[

I never said that it would have been otherwise impossible to invent the CAT scan! If you are going to disagree with a statement' date=' don't make up something absurd and then attribute it to me.

[/quote']

Dude, take a freakin' chill pill and stop being so damn defensive.

I NEVER SAID THAT YOU SAID IT WOULD HAVE BEEN OTHERWISE IMPOSSIBLE TO INVENT THE CAT scan!

I was just making a comment. My God, you attribute whatever you want to whomever you want without any reason.

I didn't say that the Beatles would have made it big without Brian Epstein.

Never said you did. Honestly, Jeff, there was no accusatory intent in my post, I assure you. Just general observations.

Maybe we need a "no-Beatles moratorium" for a while. It seems to bring out the worst in us.

You got it. Epstein used to make the financial arrangements for them' date=' and he would settle for a ridiculously low amount (pennies on the dollar). EMI started making money hand over fist from the Beatles' album sales, providing them with tons of R&D money for the CAT scan.[/quote'] Dang...... sorry I thought your op was in jest. I, for one, am impressed !!!:)

Never said you did. Honestly' date=' Jeff, there was no accusatory intent in my post, I assure you. Just general observations.

Maybe we need a "no-Beatles moratorium" for a while. [b']It seems to bring out the worst in us.[/b]

Well, it (or SOMEthing) certainly seems to...Lately!:) Why???! What's happened? Besides the fact that the

economy sucks, and there's too much pressure, everywhere, nowadays. Why "The Beatles?" I can

understand different points of view (and respect those, too), but usually...Beatle discussions, to say nothing

of their music, brings people together. So..???

Anyway, let's (Please?) not loose our sense of humor and/or perspective...OK?:)

CB

Profits from the group's records were redirected by EMI to research on the CT machine' date=' which they would eventually manufacture.[/quote']

Yes. I just had a myelogram (not recommended) in October on my back and I, of course, had to entertain the staff with the information that had it not been for the Beatles they probably wouldn't have their jobs because their CT (computed tomography) machines would not have been invented. EMI was so flush with money from the Beatles they were able to finance the research into what was then called "The EMI Scan" blah blah blah. They must not have been impressed They poked needles and shot dye into my spine anyway. Absolutely the worst thing I've ever been through. I hate the Beatles.

Nelson

Never said you did. Honestly' date=' Jeff, there was no accusatory intent in my post, I assure you. Just general observations.

Maybe we need a "no-Beatles moratorium" for a while. It seems to bring out the worst in us.[/quote']

My apologies Leicester. I was still reeling from seeing getting my "anecdote" shoved back down my throat in the previous post. I should have held my breath counted to 10 before looking at the next post. Truly sorry, buddy.

My apologies Leicester. I was still reeling from seeing getting my "anecdote" shoved back down my throat in the previous post.

Your anecdote shoved back down your throat?

You are an ingorant man.

Not to mention a few other things I won't mention.

Your anecdote shoved back down your throat?

You are an ingorant man.

Not to mention a few other things I won't mention.

Ah, you felt that you weren't offensive enough in your first 2 posts? Keep it up, Brad. You are really on a roll. Do you have an emoticon that gives me the finger? You are one hell of a man. Dude.

My apologies Leicester. I was still reeling from seeing getting my "anecdote" shoved back down my throat in the previous post. I should have held my breath counted to 10 before looking at the next post. Truly sorry' date=' buddy.

[/quote']

Not a problem at all. The forum has been a little tense in the last few days all the way around as Charlie says.

Peace, and best wishes.

Midnight in London - goodnight all.

I haven't been offensive at all.

Now you're acting like a child. Trying to egg me on or something.

I really feel sorry for you Jeff.

You don't seem to need any encouragement. I'm wondering why you seem to have such a hard-on for me. I started the thread just because I thought people might be interested in that tidbit. I don't intend to get into a protracted pissing contest with you no matter how great you might think you are. How about if I agree that everything you said in your response is RIGHT ON THE MONEY! Thanks for feeling sorry for me too. I'm an ignorant man (and other things that you won't say), and that surely isn't offensive, nor is your taking pity on me for being so inferior.

You don't seem to need any encouragement. I'm wondering why you seem to have such a hard-on for me. I started the thread just because I thought people might be interested in that tidbit. I don't intend to get into a protracted pissing contest with you no matter how great you might think you are. How about if I agree that everything you said in your response is RIGHT ON THE MONEY! Thanks for feeling sorry for me too. I'm an ignorant man (and other things that you won't say)' date=' and that surely isn't offensive, nor is your taking pity on me for being so inferior.[/quote']

You really have some problems. Like I said, I feel sorry that a man your age acts the way you do.

Hope you get some help. Best of luck.

Such compassion. Do you ever not look down your nose at others? Not liking being misquoted and then told that I am wrong about what you said makes me mentally ill?

I have the same gripe that another member had this week, i.e., forum members who take a statement, morph it as something stupid, tell the person that he/she is wrong (in front of the English-speaking Epiphone users of the world), and then immediately claim that the did no such thing (what makes me even more annoyed is when the person goes back and changes his original post. I don't accuse you of doing that).

Would you like me to tag along behind your posts, misquote you, point out that your misquoted statement is wrong, and then deny misquoting you? It will really annoy you, but I don't think it will make you mentally ill, no matter how old you are. (we old guys are really getting reamed here these days)

Archived