Gibson Brands Forums

Prefer Melody or Shredding ??

AyushPresley

We need Hank Marvin to quit recording lounge versions of standards and themes from films' date=' and release [i']Hank Shreds[/i]

SGDCD2019.jpg

My first real...OK.. close to real...electric was a Burns...those are so cool in a 60's kind of way...

Nelson

My first real...OK.. close to real...electric was a Burns...those are so cool in a 60's kind of way...

Nelson

Well Nelson old chap' date=' if nostalgia bites you can pick up one of the contemporary, Korean made [i']Marquees [/i]for not a lot of money. Their devotees seem to swear by them:

2003_Burns_Marquee_Club_Series_2070633.jpg

Alternatively, for a few quid more there are better appointed models: http://www.burnsguitars.com/

They have quite a following here these days... Graham Coxon is a fan, as is that wally from The Darkness.

I could probably be tempted by a Sonic, largely because it avoids the overtly complicated vibrato system favoured for the other models...

sonicbluemain.jpg

I have a friend who is a music business major, taking guitar lessons. The first time I talked to him since going to school, he said "my speed has increased so much."

I was completely clueless as to why you needed speed. I understand faster parts, but even those aren't terribly fast.

Melodic preferred to shred ..... give me BB King, David Gilmour, Brian May any day. I can play "fast" by some folks' definition, but I can't shred. I agree with a lot of y'all's ideas of "saying a lot with a little" (words to that effect, obviously...)

I don't mean to sound like a youngster cuz I listen to and try to play everything, but a great Canadian band from the GTA called Protest the Hero has boat loads of talent, 2 very easy going talented guitar players that fit together great. Take a listen if you can handle a bit of the heavier stuff...plus their Canadian ;)....

Listen to alex Lifeson's solo in "La Villa Strangiato". This solo combines the best of melody, feel, shred...and it's in 7/8 time signature. i recommend anyone who hasn't heard that song listen to it. Especially the solo. One of the most underrated rock guitarists. He also played this solo on a Gibson hollowbody.

when I want to hear elements of shredding, melody, and the blues i always go back to to this solo.

Archived