Gibson Brands Forums

Broken Les Paul :-(

wrighty3693

Frank, I bet you can also substitute "cat" for a few other words too, like Kids or dogs.... I have a Studio that I bought repaired(my mistake), damage was about third fret down from the nut. Was told when I bought it the guy would email the luthiers name and contact info that did the repair in case I had any problems.. no problems yet,no email either and its been a year, but the repair just looks ugly and I almost never mess with it cause of the repair and feeling I got taken..

l_72dbb8a00c2648ebb5a1c7b7cc54c8e8.jpg

l_20e9e500fa1c4ed19f597ae6f8c7a612.jpg

That's a really simple fix. It's a pretty clean break. Use either 24 hour epoxy (my favorite) or Gorilla Glue. GG is excellent but it "creeps" outside the crack line and cleaning in off is a pain. 24 hour epoxy is stronger than the wood and the thin seam around the repair can be touched up with magic markers and/or with wood filler pens.

Apply the adhesive and clamp the repair. Be sure to put wax paper on the top and bottom of the repair, then wood blocks on top of that, then clamp in as many places as the area has room for. Don't use just a single clamp. Alternatively, if you have help, you can wrap string around the entire area if you don't have clamps. You just need someone, or have some way to hold the repair in place while either clamping or tying string. I prefer clamps - and they're cheap at stores like Harbor Freight Tools. About a buck or less for small "c" clamps or spring-loaded clamps.

I've done a bunch of wood repairs over the years. Clean breaks like the one shown are really easy to repair.

I strongly advise against using Gorilla Glue, or any urethane glue. It is not classified as a structural type of glue. You're better off with plain old aliphatic resin glue(Elmer's, Titebond). The Elmer's type glue is a thermoplastic glue which is a structural glue, and is reversible. I have heard of complaints about glue-line "creep", but having used it for over 30 years on the job, and having glued the head of my V back on twice, over 20 years ago, I have yet to see any evidence of glue line creep.

• 2 weeks later...
Y'all should hear how the people over at the Telecaster Forum talk about Gibson necks breaking.

I did have an LP with a repaired break in the neck. Great guitar.

You guys should be more careful with you're guitars.

Never broke one yet, Fender/Squier or Gibson/Epiphone, knock on wood.

Peter

I cringe at the sight of a broken headstock! It's like looking at a compound bone fracture...

Beware of ceiling fans. Many headstocks have been knocked off when the player stands up and raises the guitar vertical to come out of the strap. Not having a good set of straplocks is another. And, check your strap buttons. I just did a toothpick and wood glue repair on my flametop. I looked down during a gig and the screw had backed out 3/8". It was ready to dump the neck on the floor, despite my Schaller straplocks. It's a good habit to keep your hand on the neck where it meets the body at all times. Develop that habit and hopefully you'll never have to post pictures such as this.

And then there's kids and animals. I keep my guitars upstairs in my music room and declare that area off-limits to children unless I'm with them. If there's a guitar on a stand downstairs, it goes in the bedroom corner until the kids leave.

Archived