Gibson Brands Forums

"Dee Adario" strings.... Italian / American lesson?

Mugatu

I've used D'Addario strings before on my electrics and acoustics... great product. (Martin do better bronze Phos acoustics, and Ernie Ball do better nickel electrics in my opinion, but I digress!)

It's a pronunciation matter....

D'Addario is an Italian name. Therefore you pronounce it the Italian way. Right?

Da - Dar - ee - oh.

Why does the man in this video pronounce it "Dee - a - Dairy - oh"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_kwR2rLVL48&feature=related

I commented on youtube, and got (what I believe to be) an American man correcting me.

Something about if the first letter has an apostrophe after it, you pronounce the full phonetic sound, as in "Dee" for D.

Well not in Italian or French you don't. "D" is just a "D" sound. And it's an Italian name after all!

How do you pronounce your second favourite string manufacturer?

Am I incurring the wrath of the American masses here for daring to pronounce a European name in the European way?

D'Addario is an Italian name. Therefore you pronounce it the Italian way. Right?

Da - Dar - ee - oh.

I'm pronouncing it the same as you do. The D in all probability is derived from "Di". So D pronounced as "Dee" would be correct.

They want us to pronounce it right? They've gotta spell it right. =D>

I only discuss them in a forum where I can look at the empty pack sitting next to the computer and spell it out. I buy them on line most of the time and when I don't, I just point to them or go around the counter and take them off the rack.

When friends discuss them I just nod my head the same way I do when someone speaks to me in a foreign language.

I'm not shure about Italian...but as I'm a french speaking person, I am shure it would be pronounce "Da - Dar - ee - oh" in french. The apostrophe making it the same way you would say it without apostrophe like Dadario. I have an Italian fellow working with me. I will check with him tomorrow, but as Italian and French are both latin's language, I really think you don't have to separate the pronounciation.

But anyway, I don't play with those strings...lolll

I use Ernie Ball's and I'm shure of the prononciation...lolll

Frequently Asked Questions

How do you pronounce D'Addario?

We used receive e-mails and letters each week regarding the correct pronunciation of the DAddario name. Some years back, we even ran an ad that illustrated an easy way to pronounce the D'Addario name. The name is pronounced phonetically as follows:

Da-Dairy-O

A simple way to pronounce a tough name in musical accessories!

Yups It's Da-dairy-o....But i used that pronounce it as Dee - Add-ario some years ago...I still find it hard to pronounce it though...Dee - Add - ario is simple and when any person may it be from US or UK or Aus they'd pronounce it as

Dee-add-ario as they see it...

well it's a proper noun so you can pronounce it as you like it...like my name is Aayush.and it's pronounced as

Aa-u-shh.people pronounce it as A-ush or some even "Ice" but it's a proper noun so can be pronounced any way anyone likes..

I used to pronounce I-banez as Ee-ba-nez later i got the actual pronunciation....=D>

*shrug* I just showed my grandfather (Born in Naples, Italy, lived there most of his life) and we both agree that even though their site said Da-Dairy-O it SHOULD be "Dee-ah-DAR-ee-O", though he says it with a very very very light T sound in there for emphasis.

My grandparents were from Italy. In the southern Italian dialect (I don't know about the others) which includes Naples, Sorrento and Amalfi (where my mothers family came from) the apostrophe makes the long E sound (U.S. long E, not Latin E).

So my grandparents and parents who also spoke southern Italian would have pronounced the D' as DEE ("Dee-ah-DAR-ee-O").

OK, I know the last name is Norton, which isn't very Italian. When my late uncle went into politics, anybody with a vowel at the end of their name couldn't get elected "Dog Catcher" so they changed it to Norton. I guess I'm glad, because I'm not sure how to spell the long Italian name they abandoned =D>

Insights and incites by Notes

Frequently Asked Questions

How do you pronounce D'Addario?

We used receive e-mails and letters each week regarding the correct pronunciation of the DAddario name. Some years back' date=' we even ran an ad that illustrated an easy way to pronounce the D'Addario name. The name is pronounced phonetically as follows:

Da-Dairy-O

A simple way to pronounce a tough name in musical accessories![/quote']

Great -- I wasn't too far off. I buy my strings online, so I don't suffer miscommunication.

the northern / southern pronunciation difference is probably a factor...also, the history of immigration in

the U.S. in the 19th / 20th centuries reveals that often names and pronunciations were changed upon

arrival or gradually shifted over time due to many factors, such as local dialect, proximity to other ethnic

immigrant groups, etc...

the northern / southern pronunciation difference is probably a factor...<...>.

So now we need to find out whether it should be read in a southern' date=' northern or Roman dialect [-o<

As a child, my parents bought these wonderful tasting Sesame cookies made by [i']Stella D'Oro[/i] (pronounced Stella DEE Oro - roughly meaning golden star). Nobody in our Italian neighborhood pronounced them Stella Doro. Therefore, I pronounce the apostrophe as a long E sound if used in an Italian or Italian-ish word ;)

Notes

So now we need to find out whether it should be read in a southern' date=' northern or Roman dialect [-o<

As a child, my parents bought these wonderful tasting Sesame cookies made by [i']Stella D'Oro[/i] (pronounced Stella DEE Oro - roughly meaning golden star). Nobody in our Italian neighborhood pronounced them Stella Doro. Therefore, I pronounce the apostrophe as a long E sound if used in an Italian or Italian-ish word ;)

Notes

or we can start a thread "Da-Dairy-O it SHOULD versus Dee-ah-DAR-ee-O" and get 80+ posts of arguing.

My grandparents were from Italy. In the southern Italian dialect (I don't know about the others) which includes Naples' date=' Sorrento and Amalfi (where my mothers family came from) the apostrophe makes the long E sound (U.S. long E, not Latin E).

So my grandparents and parents who also spoke southern Italian would have pronounced the D' as DEE ("Dee-ah-DAR-ee-O").

OK, I know the last name is Norton, which isn't very Italian. When my late uncle went into politics, anybody with a vowel at the end of their name couldn't get elected "Dog Catcher" so they changed it to Norton. I guess I'm glad, because I'm not sure how to spell the long Italian name they abandoned O:)

Insights and incites by Notes[/quote']

So, Bob...were you a Nortoni, or Nortonio? ;>)

CB

So' date=' Bob...were you a Nortoni, or Nortonio? ;>)

CB[/quote']

Nardiccione or something like that. I haven't seen the spelling since I was a child. Mother's maiden name was equally Italian, but I guess it's not appropriate to post that in a public forum, so many card companies ask for that name to verify my account.

Father's family was from Abruzzi but moved to Ostia Lido and mother's family was from Amalfi.

When I was young, we lived in a very Italian neighborhood in New York. All the old-timers spoke Italian to each other. My parents only spoke Italian when they didn't want us to understand what they were saying. They didn't teach us Italian because they wanted us to be Americans, not Italians.

It's too bad they didn't teach us Italian, as I am now struggling with Spanish and not doing very well at it (I can play Musica Latina authentically though).

Notes

Archived