Gibson Brands Forums

How much can you do to one LP Special II?

antwhi2001

Been meaning to post this for a while, finally got time.

I bought an Epi Special 2 on e-bay for £50 a while ago, supposedly for my partners' daughter to learn on.

Serial Y7030805, bolt-on neck. Of course I couldn't just leave it as it was...

Interestingly, I think a previous owner had already modded it to fit the neck P90 and the grovers.

100_0335.jpg

I found the tone very disappointing, the neck too thick for my tastes and it was difficult to get a low action without getting dead frets.

I found the neck P90 to be quite nice for clean sounds but the bridge one was too quiet. I put a spare 57 CH humbucker on, with a surround I fabricated from a sheet of black plastic.

Couldn't resist a few cheap cosmetic mods. White pickguard and trc, and Gibson headstock logo....

100_0383.jpg

100_0384.jpg

Then, she me refinishing my faded DC in TV Yellow. The faded yellow Gibson uses on these is nothing like a proper TV Yellow, and I did this to mine :

100_0518.jpg

This aroused her curiosity; she wanted to know if there was anyway I could refinish hers in the brightest green possible. I liked the idea, and produced this :

100_0521.jpg

100_0522.jpg

Inevitably, she lost interest in learning and it ended up as an ornament in her room. I don't believe in trying to force kids into music, I give them opportunities and then it's up to them.

I rescued it and decided my next project would be to take it down to a wood finish single-P90 guitar, with high action, that I could leave permanently in open tuning to learn bottleneck on.

Work in progress :

100_1178.jpg

You can see that I've re-cut the headstock shape and filled the tuner holes prior to drilling new ones slightly lower down.

In this pic you can see the cut-out walnut veneer I was going to re-face the guitar with. I did like the plain light wood, but the plain body edges just showed all the cheap plywood ! :

100_1177.jpg

"Finished" product (except with me, no guitar is ever "finished"!) :

100_1270.jpg

I wasn't happy with the finish. Applying veneer and getting it to stick flat was very difficult. I spayed the body edges with ebony wood dye to mask the ply, and faded it into the top face, then clear nitro. The whole effect was darker than I intended. I'd fitted a chrome-plated brass nut and sanded the neck to a slightly thinner profile too.

Now to bring it up to date...with an overlay from http://www.axewraps.com/

And a few more obvious changes. Epi stock humbuckers and knobs came out of my spares drawer...

100_1385.jpg

100_1384.jpg

These axewraps are a very high quality overlay. Only drawback is that a lot ot the apertures come pre-cut or marked, and most of us know that the exact positioning of knobs and switches on Epis varies from year-to-year and factory-to-factory....so don't expect a perfect fit.

I'm now playing with a Tele project, an Alba I bought for £35. I don't intend to do any more to this Epi .... except maybe sell it. I did actually use it at a recent gig...but only for one song. When he saw it our drummer said it was not so much Les Paul, more Les Dawson (the Brits will get that one).

I know some of you will think me crazy for doing all that; thing is, I enjoy it. And it's good practice.

I'm not skilled enough at carpentry to fit binding properly. I just smoothed the edge of the veneer to the plywood then sprayed the edge black, blending into the walnut with a sunburst technique to mask the join. You can't really see it on the pics, but the walnut veneer "bubbled"; I used the right adhesive but possibly too much of it. I placed it on a flat concrete floor while it was drying, with a metal plate plus weights on top to try to compress it flat. Stll got some "bubbling"....

although the walnut looks great and believe me most of us would love to be at your skill level. but, how much does all the re-work affect the tone of the wood_obvious newbie question.

The tv yellow was a keeper. i would have snagged that one for sure!!!!!!!

As one who has Gibsonized an Epi, i salute you! Your job was alot bigger then mine and it looks good. I think the need to do that, goes back to my college days when i was the king of fake IDs. LOL. Here's a pic of mine and i call it a Tribute Guitar, and its as close as i will come to a real 58 V. Stan.MVC-005F.jpgMVC-014F-1.jpg

I'm doing something similar to a bare-bones guitar I got for almost nothing. New pups (thanks y'all for the advice...), tuners, pots and wiring, new bridge and nut as well...

I'm into vintage looks and tone, so I'm thinking about refinishing mine in TV yellow, but might as well go for the ebony look with cream pickup mounting rings and switch washer, I like that as well.

Thanks Wardog. Believe me, all that work did nothing whatsoever for the tone or the natural sustain of the guitar - both of which are still poor. The body is a slab of cheap plywood. Don't know what wood the neck is made of, it's too soft to be maple. You might as well make a guitar out of cardboard. I still can't get the action as low as I would like without buzzing and fretting out. This will never be a "good" guitar by anyones' standards. It's just about adequate for a beginner to start on, because it does stay in tune now.

The gap in quality between this guitar and the set-neck Korean G400s, LPs, and 57RI Juniors is vast. Those are real musical instruments, when they are set up right they play very nicely, and they have some natural resonance. This one sounds pretty dead unplugged. Plugged, I can get a thin clean sound usable for 50s rockabilly, and it sounds ok on full distortion for solos. Everything in between sounds poor to me - no fullness, no mids.

The TV Yellow one is my Gibson LP doublecut, it's been my main gigging guitar this year. I've done 40-45 gigs in the last 12 months and used the doublecut about 70% of the time. Those P90s through my Marshall give me all the tones I want for rock/blues.

Archived