Gibson Brands Forums

wild- wild -wild -cat

johnbm2136

hi there guys, just purschased my wildcat from the states, been waiting for one for months, there are none to be found in the uk.. and dealers dont expect any in for months thats if they ever arrive. one main dealer placed an order last august, he doesn,t expect any in before next march at the earliest. anyways its gonna take approx 7 -10 days to arrive so ill just have to thrash my dot ( which is still cool ) i just cant wait to vibe them v p90 pups. has anyone any feed back on this kittens. cheers john

The ones here that own them (me being one) love the guitars. I picked up mine more by accident (followed me home), but it is definitely a purchase I do not regret.

I don't have any technical feedback, just that I love the sound and feel of the guitar.

Mine is in the avatar.

I have one and love it...as I am sure you will too. play with the master tone and the volume knobs and you can get just about any sound you want out of it...from that Tele twang to a nice warm LP sound...then crank it up and rock ON.

I leave mine in the middle position on the selection switch (almost all the time) and just use the pick up volumes to dial in what ever sound I am wanting and the master volume to crank it into overdrive. You gonna love how the P-90s react to your picking styles (hard and heavy it's got plenty of bite, soft and easy nice warm bluesy sound) So enjoy!

Capt

that roller bridge in chrome came in today Capt. Let me know if you think you want it.

I'll get some measurements and pics.. Schaller.

and congrats on the wildkat, John.. I've lusted for one for a long time!

TWANG

that roller bridge in chrome came in today Capt. Let me know if you think you want it.

I'll get some measurements and pics.. Schaller.

and congrats on the wildkat' date=' John.. I've lusted for one for a long time!

TWANG[/quote']

OK Twang and thanks...hope it will just drop in, I don't want to have to deal with pulling the bushings and replacing them. What I am worried about the most is the travel of the saddles, mine are almost bottomed out on the high E string...I know that is why they turned the bridge around to get more travel out of it...right now it's dead on as far as the intonation goes, but being turned around with the screws pointing toward the bigsby the strings break over the screw heads and one even touches the screw...doesn't seem to hurt the working of the bigsby or how it plays or sounds...just know if I were a big bigsby waggler (if that is even a word..lol) it would wear the string alot quicker.

If it wasn't for that worry I wouldn't bother changing the bridge...sounds to good like it is.

Let me know about all the measurements and such..with Christmas just passing, it maybe a couple weeks before I can tell you to ship it. So if you get an order for it before then, go ahead and let it go. I can get you to order me another one if need be.

Capt

ps,,,think I can trust you??? I mean damn you ship your stuff to places where it never gets delivered (ducks as I laugh) I know it isn't funny to you! BUT you should just laugh it off as dealing with a$$holes is all part of the retail game. What was it the song said...money for nothing and the pickguard for free....heheeh

Guest alanhindle
I have one and love it...as I am sure you will too. play with the master tone and the volume knobs and you can get just about any sound you want out of it...from that Tele twang to a nice warm LP sound...then crank it up and rock ON.

I leave mine in the middle position on the selection switch (almost all the time) and just use the pick up volumes to dial in what ever sound I am wanting and the master volume to crank it into overdrive. You gonna love how the P-90s react to your picking styles (hard and heavy it's got plenty of bite' date=' soft and easy nice warm bluesy sound) So enjoy!

Capt[/quote']

Hi John

I'm one of the other Wildkat owners currently on the forum. I agree with the Skipper's comments above, although I get my sounds in a slightly different way. The extra master volume indeed allows you to fully control everything from the guitar. For me, by setting the rhythm pick up on a low volume and turning the treble up full you can use the selector switch to move from clean to mean. The middle position does give you a humbucker type tone but without causing muddiness (usually due to effectively moving your position away from the bridge) because of the brightness of the P90s. The fact that you can achieve so many different sounds in so many different ways, to me, illustrates its versatility. You'll love the gritty growl of those 90s too.

Interesting you say you couldn't source it in the UK. I've had mine less than a couple of months. I got the last one (complete with case) from imuso. Other suppliers I contacted said they had no stock left. Mine is also Korean made and dated 2006- it was definitely brand new and unplayed though.

I wonder if the Wildkat is being discontinued (following its Alleykat brother) because the new EE factory in China simply isn't going to make them anymore and Korean Epiphone operations have ceased.

Anyway here's a pic of mine to whet your appetite while you wait:

DSC01715.jpg

Cheers

Alan

I'll get some pics of the bridge up.. next to a stock epi bridge..

I may even mount them both on my lp for extra comparison..

looks good though.

this one wasn't a schaller.. it just has a number on the bottom.. so it maybe an epi or epi repro or something.

very nice bridge though, seriously, I'd use it in a heartbeat.

Of course you can trust me.. don't mind the horns and tail, it's just a family trait!

TWANG

Guest alanhindle
I was looking at GAK's site earlier today & they still have Wildkats listed.

GAK was one of the sites I tried ordering from (they would have been my first preference). However, even though they had them on the website, when I emailed to enquire they no longer had them in stock.

John,

Who did you try ordering from in the UK?

Archived