Gibson Brands Forums

Sheriton issues

ralphtown

First

Does anyone know where I can get the "E" for the pick guard?

Mine fell off as soon as I opened the hard case,nearly 5 years ago.

Second.

TARNISHING!!

You know,back in 1976,when all copy guitars were total rubish.I had a Saxon Les Paul copy.

It rarely stayed in tune,had a bolt on neck but the gold bits stayed gold.

I have to say,I,m very dissapointed with the "gold" on my Sheriton.

So,can I clean the gold back with some product or everyday household cleaner.

Failing that what other options do I have?

Any comments welcome.

RALPH

Real gold, or gold plating (which your Sheraton (probably) doesn't have) can be cleaned with a "damp" (not wet) 100% cotton cloth, and some mild bar soap (no grit, please). I found that out, years ago, from a jeweler. Have done it, several times, to my '66 Gretsch Country Gentleman. Asian "Gold" doesn't seem to clean up well, that way. It's either too thinly applied, or isn't real gold plating, or both. You could take off all the parts, send it to a company that re-plates (in real gold), and have something better, in the process. But, of course, that's not going to be "cheap."

On the other hand, if you want to remove the tarnished/tatty "gold" plating, Oven Cleaner "Easy Off," (here in the States) or something similar, will do the trick. An old toothbrush, can be used to get to the areas that aren't easily wiped/scrubbed. Just be sure to rinse it off entirely, and towel dry (or blow dry) the parts, afterward.

CB

unfortunately, the gold does wear off pretty quickly.

it started fairly soon on my sheraton made in korea by samick.

and I replced it all.

the E is often seen on ebay at a ridiculous price.

there are a rew replacement bridges left for the korean made sheraton.. but they aren't being produced any longer.

they are available at WDmusic.com

You'll have to look at your serial number and see if it's chinese or korean.. and then look for the appropriate parts for replacement.

Near as I can tell the standard metric parts fit the chinese made sheratons.

and are available in gold or chrome or black.

As far as I know, only replating will fix what you already have lost.

I let mine go 15 years before I replaced anything, then I did it all at once.

exetorblondy.jpg

blondyheadstock.jpg

TWANG

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Seems a real shame it all just rubs off.

I,m looking for someone here in UK who can re-plate the fixtures.

There was a guy on the UK version of Dragons Den and he was selling plating franchises.

A lot of the Asian community likes to gold plate bits of their Mercs and Lexus.

I,ll have to look out for a blinged up cruiser and ask where they got the gold bits done :D

RALPH

Samick.. korean.. early model like mine.

so the bridge is only available until they run out.

If I were you, unless I planned on having someone remove the bushings and redo the thing so another bridge would fit, I'd get

one while I could.

I don't sell 'em anymore, but they are pretty inexpensive, and seem to be to be better than the originals.

TWANG

I lost some gold on the bridge first.

that's to be expected. you touch it a lot and sweat eats it off along with all that rubbing.

the tuners stayed nice. I even got a good price out of them, 14 years old, on ebay.

the tailpiece in the center portion started after a few years to be less gold.. and more nickel looking.

those are the only two places that it wears.

and you know.. I'd like to see chrome after all that time on similarly played guitars.. bet it's not so perfect either.

but it's true, gold shows its wear more than chrome to start with.

even the better plating.

TWANG

Archived