Gibson Brands Forums

Strap for Les Paul?

yamatsuka

I never had a leather strap, I always use nylons cause i adjust them very often. I guess there isn't a big difference between leather and nylon straps, except the feel. A wider leather strap would supposedly fit better than a wide nylon cause of the material.

For a Les Paul I like at least a 2 1/2" to 3" padded leather strap. Strap locks are a must. If you are going to be standing and playikng for any length of time, a Paul is a killer. The wider the better.

Nylon straps are slippery and have a tendecy to dig into my shoulder with heavier guitars. Leather straps that have suede on the back will not slip.

I also recommend at least 2 1/2".. 3" feels big to me.. so. I use 2 1/2

also I leather.

I've had the same strap on my blondy since I bought it 15 years ago.

I prefer the look and the feel of leather..

I always use dunlop straplocks.

I have a bunch of very nice L&M 2 1/2" black leather straps I'm overstocked on, so if you want to take one off my hands, you'll probably

save several dollars even with shipping.

they are the typical kind that thread through the back for adjustment. Wear 'em high or low.. they fit.

It's thick leather, too, not that cheap crap.

Hey. I'll throw in a black nylon strap! I've got a whole box full of 'em I'll never use.

TWANG

For a Les Paul I like at least a 2 1/2" to 3" padded leather strap. Strap locks are a must. If you are going to be standing and playikng for any length of time' date=' a Paul is a killer. The wider the better.

Nylon straps are slippery and have a tendecy to dig into my shoulder with heavier guitars. Leather straps that have suede on the back will not slip.[/quote']

I'm a huge Levy's fan. On my LP (& other solid bodies) I use their 2 - 1/2" suede leather strap. Wide enough to spread the weight and the suede keeps it from slipping around. Your mileage may vary.

Leather. I bought black one at GC when I bought my Epi LP Flametop a couple of years ago for something like $23. I don't remember the brand, but it's a little wider than the $9.95 nylon straps and it is REAL leather, not imitation. Yes, it was cheap, but still looks like new and still hugs my shoulder and keeps the neck from sliding down when I let go of it. And, Schaller straplocks went on it the day I bought it. The straplocks also prevent stretch in the leather tips from putting it on and off the guitar.

I think the $23 price was a discount from the sales rep who sold me the Paul and an SKB ATA case. I think it was $29.95 msrp.

Wow, how did we ever get by before the interwebs? LOL...

Call me silly, but I always start with the cheap nylon strap and a set of AllParts or proline straplocks, and if the strap isn't comfortable enough (read: long enough to hang the guitar where I want it), I keep it as a spare and buy a nicer (read: longer) one. I seriously don't see much performance difference between leather and nylon though, whenever I have used a leather strap it was when I found a cheap one, and then only for cosmetic reasons. My tripleneck weighed at least 20 pounds, and I used a 4.99 nylon Ernie Ball strap on it with no problems. No matter how wide or formerly mooing your strap is, a 20 pound guitar still weighs 20 pounds. And really, there is generally going to be less than 7 pounds difference from a Parker fly to a Les Paul custom... If you can't stand up for an hour with a 10 pound guitar hanging on your shoulder, perhaps you should look into learning to play a clarinet?

Then again, I did march in the band with a bari sax, so I suppose I was conditioned early on to "deal with it and quit whining"... My sax weighed somewhere around 20 pounds or more, and the neck strap was about 3/4" wide. Probably why most guitar straps don't bother me at all. What's the saying... Your mileage may vary? LOL!

I also recommend at least 2 1/2".. 3" feels big to me.. so. I use 2 1/2

also I leather.

I've had the same strap on my blondy since I bought it 15 years ago.

I prefer the look and the feel of leather..

I always use dunlop straplocks.

I have a bunch of very nice L&M 2 1/2" black leather straps I'm overstocked on' date=' so if you want to take one off my hands, you'll probably

save several dollars even with shipping.

they are the typical kind that thread through the back for adjustment. Wear 'em high or low.. they fit.

It's thick leather, too, not that cheap crap.

Hey. I'll throw in a black nylon strap! I've got a whole box full of 'em I'll never use.

TWANG

[/quote']

For how much would you be selling it?

Well.. much to my surprise.. I've only got one left now. .guess I should have read this thread quicker.

sold three.

and no nylon.. can't find the darn things. They're around here somewhere!

I have some other straps, but they're all fancy and kind pricey.

I can order some more, though. I should anyway, now!

TWANG

Well.. much to my surprise.. I've only got one left now. .guess I should have read this thread quicker.

sold three.

and no nylon.. can't find the darn things. They're around here somewhere!

I have some other straps' date=' but they're all fancy and kind pricey.

I can order some more, though. I should anyway, now!

TWANG

[/quote']

surprise surprise............

Epi moderators asked me to not sell stuff in here.

So from now on' date=' email me.

TWANG

thanks[/quote']

TWANG,

If you have a web page it would be nice to see some of the stuff you carry. The URL could be posted in your profile.

Archived