Gibson Brands Forums

What is the Difference??

BeaMeUpScty

I am wanting to buy my son an Electric guitar and his instructor suggests to buy a low-end Gibson, which is what I understand the Epiphone line is. However, I see a Les Paul Special, a Less Paul Special II, and a Les Paul 100 that are within $50 of each other. Then, I see a Les Paul Studio that is a lot more money (although there is a scratch and dent one for $300). I don't get the heirarchy of the models to know which is better or even what is different (even after reading the description). Can anyone help?

Buying new, a Les Paul Special and Les Paul Special II will be the same guitar. I don't know why the current model is called the "II," but Epiphone only makes one Les Paul Special model.

The LP-100 has a carved top, like a "real" Les Paul, but has a bolt-on neck like a Fender.

A Les Paul Studio is essentially a "real" Les Paul without some cosmetic features.

I would really suggest you get him a Studio as he is learning.., well even the scratch and dent one would play really good, if you don't mind the scratch that is..well they generally have unnoticeable scratches anyway..studio is just like the

Epiphone Les Paul Standard with cosmetic cuts and feels similar to the Gibson rather than the special or the LP 100. Spending a bit more on the studio would be better than getting the very low end ones..it's really worthed..

Studio means better pickups, better hardware, better tuning machines, over all better in every aspects than the Special or the Lp 100..

Also, his instructor may mean a "Faded" Gibson LP (double cutaway) or Faded SG! Maybe even a Gibson Melody Maker...being the least expensive actual Gibson! All are good guitars, which will retain their value. They are (with the exception of the Melody Maker) more costly, than the Epiphones mentioned, but (probably) a better overall investment...in case he doesn't decide guitar is his "thing," you'd (most likely) be able to recoup your investment,

with the Gibsons. They seem to go up in price, at the drop of a hat, so...getting one now, may allow for retaining it's full resale value, in the future...or, possibly even making a profit?! Not suggesting buying the Gibson(s) for JUST that reason, but's it worth considering. The Epiphones, however, are really good "bang for the buck," guitars...

as well.

But...probably, the best thing is , to take him to the dealer, let him try out all the guitars in your price range, and let him make the decision, as to which one he likes best.

CB

I am wanting to buy my son an Electric guitar and his instructor suggests to buy a low-end Gibson' date=' which is what I understand the Epiphone line is. However, I see a Les Paul Special, a Less Paul Special II, and a Les Paul 100 that are within $50 of each other. Then, I see a Les Paul Studio that is a lot more money (although there is a scratch and dent one for $300). I don't get the heirarchy of the models to know which is better or even what is different (even after reading the description). Can anyone help?[/quote']

I think he really means a low end Gibson such as a Melody maker or an SG Special Faded...

Gibson-Melody-Maker.jpg

lrg_sg_faded_worncherry_promo.jpg

BMUS,

You have gotten some good feedback here.

I am sure it will lead to some good discussion between you, your son and his instructor.

My question to you is: How old is your son?

Personally, I would not buy the same guitar for a nine year old as I would for a fifteen year old.

You are primarily talking about Pauls. Is size a concern? How about weight? Again with the lads age: How well

do you think he will care for it? Accidents do happen, and they seem more prevalent the younger they are.

Epiphones and Gibsons are fine guitars and my personal favorites however, they are not the only guitars on the market.

Thank you all for such a quick and thourough reply. In response to Whimore Willy, my son is a large eleven-year-old. He is quite committed to learning and playing. I've made him take lessons on a very cheap acustical to see if he will stick with it and practice every day.

I appreciate the information about the Gibson line. I couldn't tell which were actual entry-level Gibsons versus Epiphones (that I thought were Gibsons too). Everything seems to have Les Paul's name on them. He must have been some guitarist :-k.

Good suggestions to take him in for a test drive. Since I had been shopping on-line, I hadn't considered that there would be a difference in the feel, other than the better they get, the better they feel. Makes sense, now that you mentioned it.

I want to get a guitar he will be happy and satisfied with for at least two to three years. The reviews I have read about the Epiphone Specials say that they are great starter guitars, but after a year, they were ready for a better guitar. So, it sounds like I would be better off looking at the Epiphone Studio or the Gibson Melody Maker/SG Special Faded would be a better direction.

"I appreciate the information about the Gibson line. I couldn't tell which were actual entry-level Gibsons versus Epiphones (that I thought were Gibsons too). Everything seems to have Les Paul's name on them. He must have been some guitarist :-k."

Les Paul at I think 93 years old is still a heck of a guitarist. As everyone else stated above the Epi Studio's and Standards are good choices along with the few lower priced Gibsons. If he takes care of his stuff good chance the guitar you get him could last a lifetime...

I've got a les paul studio.

I've had an lp100 and a G310.

I see no reason to go below the studio.. it will last him a LOT longer than 2/3 years.

I don't intend to sell mine at all.. and I've got 20 guitars.

In 2/3 years, you may want to add a part or two.. upgrade the pickups, something like that. But that's about it.

You've got all your les paul design basics.. set neck, mostly mahogany body, mahogany neck..

and you'll get good hardware, Grover tuners, and be very happy with it's playability and it's sound.. stock.

Mines a tad heavy, but even an eleven year old can get around that with a nice padded strap.

For the money, I honestly would turn down the gibson studio and choose the epi studio.. with upgrades, it's right up there with the big boys,

whether they like it or not.

It's not an ego machine. he'll have to play it, the bragging rights don't come with the guitar.

But as far as I'm concerned, mine is flawless.

I tweaked mine, being an old fart and set in his ways. with Grover locking tuners, Bigsby, and pups and electronics, as well as straplocks.

It's a little modest jewel.. and I'm happy as can be to own it and play it and hear it.. and it looks good, too.

Resale value on a guitar that does the job this well is a totally moot point to me. Unless you plan on quitting entirely.

It will be a great backup if he gets to playing pro.. and if there's one thing I hear in here all the time it's how people wish they had kept their first guitar-even if it was junk!- so you'll get another plus. This isn't anywhere near junk.. and anyone would be happy to keep it forever.

You can quibble about the body wood not being first rate, or the cosmetics that are not applied to this, like binding or fancy neck inlays,

but look at a strat.. see any binding? see any fancy inlays?

What counts is the basic guitar itself, and the epi lp studio is your basic les paul. A keeper.

TWANG

+1 for the studio, unless you're willing to drop a few extra bucks for a plain top standard. Street price on those is about 450 I believe, a little more than a studio. But it has all the same cosmetic features as a 2000 dollar Gibson, minus a few small things that an 11 year old will never notice... The studio is a nice guitar, but the standard is IMO a lot nicer. They feel a little more substantial, and the pro recognition is there too. I've seen plenty of touring national acts using epiphone LP standards, including bands as big as Sevendust... You don't see many, if any, playing epi studio models.

Basically, with a studio, the point at which he will want an "even nicer" guitar will probably come a year or two sooner.

Of course, you could always go up to an epi standard from the studio... Buying yourself a few more years before he starts crying "Gibson" in his sleep, LOL...

+1 for the studio' date=' unless you're willing to drop a few extra bucks for a plain top standard. Street price on those is about 450 I believe, a little more than a studio. But it has all the same cosmetic features as a 2000 dollar Gibson, minus a few small things that an 11 year old will never notice... The studio is a nice guitar, but the standard is IMO a lot nicer. They feel a little more substantial, and the pro recognition is there too. I've seen plenty of touring national acts using epiphone LP standards, including bands as big as Sevendust... You don't see many, if any, playing epi studio models.

Basically, with a studio, the point at which he will want an "even nicer" guitar will probably come a year or two sooner.

Of course, you could always go up to an epi standard from the studio... Buying yourself a few more years before he starts crying "Gibson" in his sleep, LOL... [/quote']

whatever he said is 100%..standards are better than studios..and it's only costs a bit more than the studios. try the plain top you'll love it..like said your son will love it too until he starts crying Gibson...lol

Archived