Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Choice Help

EbonyLP

I started guitar about 1 year ago, and I'm getting pretty good, acording to my peers. My birthday is coming up, and my dad said that he'd get me a new guitar if I wanted. I immediately knew that I wanted an Epiphone of some sort, based on the feedback my friends had given me about them, their look, and their nice sound. After searching through dozens of reviews, I've narrowed my choice to 3 guitars.

1) Epiphone Les Paul Studio Arctic White

2) Epiphone Les Paul 100

3) Epiphone SG G-310

From reviews I've read, the 2 Les Pauls seem to be the best choice. The reviews I read on the SG gave quite abit of negative feedback towards the SG. Well, I'm going to ask you guys. Which guitar do you think would be good for teenager guitarist who enjoys playing metal, alternative, classic rock, and hard rock?

Depending on your Dad's willingness, and/or "budget," if you want really good upper fret access (especially for "Metal" shredding) a G-400 Standard would be an excellent alternative. Miles away from the G-310..IMHO. LP's are great, but again, a bit extra, for a "set neck" version, would be money well spent, in satisfaction and re-sale value (if that's any concern), down the road. So, depending on what you really like playing, the G-400 or LP Standard would be my recommendation.

Better (and less expensive in the long run) to grow into a guitar, than out of it, you know?

CB

A white LP studio, or a black or cherry G400 (if you want super upper fret access), would be great entry level 'gig quality' guitars for a young man such as yourself.

Both have set necks, great tone, offer upgrading potential and will NEVER go out of fashion.

I own an lp studio.

And a sheraton II.

And about twenty other guitars.

I love that studio.

Over and above the g310 and the lp100, both of which I've had here, it shines.

I can't argue with charlie.. sure the g400 and the lp standard would be great.

But overall, they only really offer some cosmetic differences.

the studio gives you a set neck, full controls, carved top, and yes, the pickups are hot output humbuckers so they do lend themselves

to modern metal as well as hard rock and alternative.

They aren't everyones final choice.. I changed mine to vintage style, with a p90 in the neck.

But for starting out with, I think they're gonna be excellent.

upgrades are plentiful, and not expensive, so as time goes by you can keep the guitar, for less money than trading up or buying a replacement,

and play it for many years.

I don't intend to sell my own, and I'd play it proudly next to any other guitar.

The G400 is sometimes offered at a lower price.. in ltd. edition models.. so look around well. It does have a sligthly more comfortable

body and the upper fret access is a tad eaiser.

On the other hand, the lp is played by more people who are famous for their playing, as I'm sure you know.

TWANG

get the Les Paul man all the guitar legends had Les Paul's and i can name them all.

jimmy page, slash, Ace Frehley( this guy is from KISS), Paul McCartney, Pete Townshend, Frank Zapp, Zakk Wylde, Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day), Bumblefoot (Guns N' Roses), Eric Clapton, Don Felder (Eagles), John Frusciante (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Noel Gallagher (Oasis), David Gilmour (Pink Floyd), Stone Gossard (Pearl Jam), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), James Hetfield (Metallica), Brian Jones (The Rolling Stones), Steve Jones (Sex Pistols), Frank Lero (My Chemical Romance), Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley and Neil Young

pictures of these guitarists

get the Les Paul man all the guitar legends had Les Paul's and i can name them all.

jimmy page' date=' slash, Ace Frehley( this guy is from KISS), Paul McCartney, Pete Townshend, Frank Zapp, Zakk Wylde, Billie Joe Armstrong (Green Day), Bumblefoot (Guns N' Roses), Eric Clapton, Don Felder (Eagles), John Frusciante (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Noel Gallagher (Oasis), David Gilmour (Pink Floyd), Stone Gossard (Pearl Jam), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), James Hetfield (Metallica), Brian Jones (The Rolling Stones), Steve Jones (Sex Pistols), Frank Lero (My Chemical Romance), Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley and Neil Young

pictures of these guitarists

About half of those people were also know to play an SG as well.

Get a G400.

And BTW, you didn't even come close to naming them all.

I'm gonna have to support what CB said, the LP Standard or G400 would be superior to the LP Studio or G310 respectively. That said, where I live, the G400 is the same price as an LP Studio and is by far the better guitar, so if the situation is similar over there, it's hands-down the cherry G400.

Of course if the guitar doesn't feel right to you, then disregard what I just said.

Thanks for the excelent help guys. Well, after closely reading everyones suggestions, I've got a good idea what guitar I want, an Epi SG Vintage G400 in Worn Cherry. But I still can't get over the excellent looks of the Epi LP Studio in Arctic White. :-$

So I guess If anyone would like to help me choose between those two guitars I've listed above, feel free.

Go somewhere and play them both.

Play both standing up. Play both sitting down. Play each trying out the different pups, and checking out the switches, nuts and other aspects of the guitars. Not all LP's are the same. Not all G400's are the same. They are individual instruments. So try 'em out side by side and see which one "speaks to you".

And get that one!

Thanks for the excelent help guys. Well' date=' after closely reading everyones suggestions, I've got a good idea what guitar I want, an Epi SG Vintage G400 in Worn Cherry. But I still can't get over the excellent looks of the Epi LP Studio in Arctic White. :-k

So I guess If anyone would like to help me choose between those two guitars I've listed above, feel free.[/quote']

G400: Any reason for the faded cherry over the full glossy version? The glossy doesn't cost much more and, to me, looks much much nicer.

As stated, try'em and find the one for you. You may end up with a finish you never thought of. The G400 and the LP Studio (and anything upwards) are great guitars.

G400: Any reason for the faded cherry over the full glossy version? The glossy doesn't cost much more and' date=' to me, looks much much nicer.

As stated, try'em and find the one for you. You may end up with a finish you never thought of. The G400 and the LP Studio (and anything upwards) are great guitars.[/quote']

A difference of $100 is why I picked the faded. I guess I have the money I can put towards the glossy finish (I feel guilty whenever I make my dad spend alot on something for me). We're going to end up buying one from an online retailer like Sam Ash or Musicians Friend and If you go on and look the prices are cheap but once they're converted to CAD, it's alot more!

im gonna throw myself in here and say that i hate most les pauls, for the reason that there LOADS of them

<------ i know its kinda hypocritical me saying that since i own one but i feel mines quite unique i feel due to the finish.

get a guitar that makes you feel, well amazing. as i say all the time;

its not the body or hype of the guitar but the voice she sings to you that makes the player feel so good.

im not saying dont get an LP but try it out first.

There. My hat is now in the political ring.

There. My hat is now in the political ring.

I think you need some help with your idioms. Because you don't seem to understand how to use them correctly.

You are not thowing your hat in any political ring at all.:-k

I think you need some help with your idioms. Because you don't seem to understand how to use them correctly.

You are not thowing your hat in any political ring at all.:-k

Dammit i thought nobody would pick up on it! ive just always wanted to say it, but ive never had the chance.

It depends also on what type of music you are playing. Find a music store that has a good selection in stock and try them. Take your amp with you if possible. I guarantee the guitar will sound different at home and on stage than it will in the store.

You should also look at the LP Ultra I. It plays great, looks great and is somewhat lighter than the Studio. It has a fatter sound than the SG.

Archived