Gibson Brands Forums

Your own signature model?

metalhed717

i thought it might be fun to start a thread where everyone can come up with their own "signature" guitar. here's mine:

body shape: SG

body wood: mahogany w/ quilt maple top

finish: black cherry

neck wood: mahogany

neck finish- natural satin

fretboard: ebony

inlays: "V" shaped like on the new ESP V and EX 401 models

neck type: speedtaper

bridge: tune-o-matic

tuners- grover

hardware color- black

pickups- dimarzio evolution (=D>/ humbucker from hell (n)

clontrol layout- vol/vol/tone/tone

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i thought it might be fun to start a thread where everyone can come up with their own "signature" guitar. here's mine:

body shape: SG

body wood: mahogany w/ quilt maple top

finish: black cherry

neck finish- natural satin

inlays: "V" shaped like on the new ESP V and EX 401 models

neck type: speedtaper

tuners- grover

hardware color- black

pickups- dimarzio evolution (=D>/ humbucker from hell (n)

clontrol layout- vol/vol/tone/tone

I already have one...Her name is "Rebekah"

Body: 1996 Fender American Standard

Finish:Black polyurethane

Neck: 1999 Fender American Standard one piece maple

Finish: Gloss polyurethane

Neck Profile: Rounded "C"- 9.5" Radius

Bridge/Tremolo: Gold Fender American Standard -Blocked

Machine Heads- Gold Schaller/ Fender American Standard

Pickguard: Fender Cream Mother Of Toilet Seat

Pick Ups: Fender Texas Specials

Controls: Master Volume/Tone/Tone (The last tone control has a detent that allows the bridge pickup to be taken out of the circuit such as with the Fender Delta controls)

DSC00929-1.jpg

She's the one in the upper left of the photo. I put her together from various parts so she's special to me.

Mr.Nelson

body shape: Like a really thin LP with F holes, but a threw middle, making it a semi hollowbody

body wood: Ebony except for the top, which is a face of mirrored Glass/perspex

finish: that above

neck wood: Yew

neck finish- Crystal white

fretboard: Ebony with white steel frets

inlays: Diagonal up,down and across the fretboard, like cracks in a mirror

bridge: That Yamaha locking one, like on wes borlands signature guitar.

tuners- something bizarre

hardware color- Glass or black

pickups-Some sort of EMG that can come in chrome (=D> Lace Alumintone (Chrome)(N)

clontrol layout- vol/vol/tone/tone and a 5 way rotary switch like on a prs

Extras:(Maybe) Built in wireless system, powered by a battery thats in the centre where the guitars solid which would also power the active EMG pickup

overall if you exclude the whacky extras i think it wouldnt be to expensive to make a guitar like this, i recon probably about.... £500-£700 excluding labour aswell

body shape: Rounded Venetian cutaway archtop with 17" lower bout

body wood: carved, solid spruce top, carved, solid maple back, maple sides

finish: lightburst

neck finish: gloss

fretboard: ebony, bound

inlays: block & triangle

neck type: 50's rounded

bridge: ebony, floating with ebony saddle

tuners- Grover Imperials

hardware color- gold

pickups- 1 floating Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith

clontrol layout- vol/tone on pickguard

5-ply bound body, neck, headstock, and f-holes

Nitro finish

Frequensator tailpiece

Fossilized walrus ivory nut

Medium jumbo frets

Dunlop Straploks

body shape: unchambered Les Paul

body wood: mahogany w/ plus maple top

finish: Tobacco Sunburst

neck wood: Mahogany

neck finish: ????

inlays: Mother of pearl Trapezoid

neck type: Something similar to Slash's signature neck

tuners: Gibson Pearloid machine meads

hardware color: Chrome

pickups: EMG's 81 Bridge, 85 Neck

clontrol layout: 2 vol/2 tone

I can see it now: Sinful Bane's Signature Les Paul! =]

I waffle too much with my electrics to have a standard signature model, that has however given me the opportunity to play and own FAR too many electrics over the years. Not a bad thing I guess.

But....If forced I guess it'd be the one electric that has yet to get sold from my stable, my 79 Explorer loaded with PAF's pulled from a 59 burst.

It's black with gold hardware, bought it new. Oddly..... I got the PAF'S from a 59 burst I missed buying because I spent some of the money on the Explorer earlier. A few months later lo and behold I got the job of putting new pickups in it for the new (dumb) owner.

Yup...it's a non desirable Explorer...yup it's an even less desirable 1979 one....fugger has "it" though in spades.

It actually sounded ok with the crappy stock pups, but the old and abused 59's seemed to be just what it needed.

I already have one...Her name is "Rebekah"

Body: 1996 Fender American Standard

Finish:Black polyurethane

Neck: 1999 Fender American Standard one piece maple

Finish: Gloss polyurethane

Neck Profile: Rounded "C"- 9.5" Radius

Bridge/Tremolo: Gold Fender American Standard -Blocked

Machine Heads- Gold Schaller/ Fender American Standard

Pickguard: Fender Cream Mother Of Toilet Seat

Pick Ups: Fender Texas Specials

Controls: Master Volume/Tone/Tone (The last tone control has a detent that allows the bridge pickup to be taken out of the circuit such as with the Fender Delta controls)

She's the one in the upper left of the photo. I put her together from various parts so she's special to me.

Mr.Nelson

How you like the Texas Specials? I have a set, I prefer the Fat 50's...I do have a set of Abigail Ybarra's handwound signed jobs...but over the years I'm leaning heavy to the Fat 50's striking the best useable balance for a set. They sure have a nice quack.

body shape: Les Paul

body wood: Mahogany with a Quilt Maple top

finish: Transparent Blue burst or Dragon Burst

neck wood: Mahogany

neck finish- same as body

fretboard: Rosewood with stainless steel fret wire

inlays: Trapezoid

neck type: 60's style

bridge: tune-o-matic and TP-6 tailpiece

tuners- grover

hardware color- Chrome

pickups- Dimarzio P.A.F 35th Anniversary With Chrome covers

clontrol layout- vol/vol/tone/tone Standard les paul set up

No Pick guard

Abalone inlays with the white binding on body and head stock

Q parts Ringo knobs in chrome and blue abalone

How you like the Texas Specials? I have a set' date=' I prefer the Fat 50's...I do have a set of Abigail Ybarra's handwound signed jobs...but over the years I'm leaning heavy to the Fat 50's striking the best useable balance for a set. They sure have a nice quack.[/quote']

I LOVE 'em...Not as much sparkle as the Fat 50's but a bit more ommmph in output but as you said..not quite the "quack factor" of the Fat 50's I also think the Fat 50's have a glassier top end ("sparkle")...The Fat 50's were a very close second choice and I'm considering those for another guitar. Really both the Specials and the Fat 50's are great pickups..and I have Abby Ybarras in my CS Mary Kay (top middle of the photo). What I didn't care for were the CS '54s they aren't RWRP and sound anemic in the in-between positions. The sonic blue Strat on the far right bottom was a CS " Custom Player's Strat ("57 Vintage RI with a lacquer finish, a fancy wood American Standard 22 fret neck and Am Stand type vibrato) or whatever they called them and it came with the CS '54's and I pulled them out and put in Lace Holy Grails and while I'm not fond of most of the Lace stuff, for that guitar they really worked out well.

Mr.Nelson

Sheraton body

Gibson head

TWANG 335 pickguard

full humbuckers

trapeze tailpiece

No "e" on the pickguard

nitro finish

Gretsch pad on the back

So, in other words you want a Gibson ES-335 with a pickguard someone made in their garage with a jig saw, a Dremel and a big nail file and a Naugahyde throw pillow glued to the back of it...OK, I can see that...

Mr.Nelson

I LOVE 'em...Not as much sparkle as the Fat 50's but a bit more ommmph in output but as you said..not quite the "quack factor" of the Fat 50's I also think the Fat 50's have a glassier top end ("sparkle")...The Fat 50's were a very close second choice and I'm considering those for another guitar. Really both the Specials and the Fat 50's are great pickups..and I have Abby Ybarras in my CS Mary Kay (top middle of the photo). What I didn't care for were the CS '54s they aren't RWRP and sound anemic in the in-between positions. The sonic blue Strat on the far right bottom was a CS " Custom Player's Strat ("57 Vintage RI with a lacquer finish' date=' a fancy wood American Standard 22 fret neck and Am Stand type vibrato) or whatever they called them and it came with the CS '54's and I pulled them out and put in Lace Holy Grails and while I'm not fond of most of the Lace stuff, for that guitar they really worked out well.

Mr.Nelson[/quote']Normally I'm no fan of Lace either, but yeah...I can see those working in the right setup though.

So' date=' in other words you want a Gibson ES-335 with a pickguard someone made in their garage with a jig saw, a Dremel and a big nail file and a Naugahyde throw pillow glued to the back of it...OK, I can see that...

Mr.Nelson[/quote']Sounds like an "interesting" combo to say the least.](*,)

Normally I'm no fan of Lace either' date=' but yeah...I can see those working in the right setup though. [/quote']

I bought the Holy Grails because I got them cheap on SlezeBay ($140 +ship) and I really didn't like the CS 54's once I got them home so I said, "what the heck" (gotta be careful 'cuz some Nancy Boy whined to the Forum Nazis about my language)..".give the Holy Grails a shot" and they worked..I really don't like the Lace Sensors like they used in the Clapton models originally...without the mid-boost of the EC they sound horribly thin...and I really hate the Fender Vintage Toneless errmmm Noiseelss that are in the teal American Deluxe (top right of the photo) but I have a kazillion other projects ahead of that so it's a pretty low priority at the moment. I used 500K pots and .02mfd caps (ceramic discs) with the Holy Grails and I'm thinking maybe even going to a .047mfd to try to give it a bit more bottom...but again, so many things to do and so little time...The Holy Grails are strange in that they're actually single coils but the way they split the coil tricks the pickup into sensing a polarity reversal which cancels the noise...guitar voodoo that I don't completely understand but it works..

Mr.Nelson

My "Canine" signature would be a dream for me, just what I like...

body wood: single piece, unchambered mahogany with a solid flamed bookmatched maple top

finish: Faded Heritage Cherry Sunburst

neck wood: One piece mahogany with long tenon

Binding: Body (single) and Neck

fretboard: Rosewood with jumbo frets

bridge: Fishman Pro with light-weight tail piece

tuners: Kluson w/ tulip heads

hardware: Nickel

pickups: Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates with nickel covers

clontrol layout- two volume, two tone, 3-way toggle switch, Fishman switch

Body: Thinline semi-hollowbody

Bridge: Frequensator

Finish: Nitro Vintage sunburst

Pickups: P94's in bridge and Burstbucker in neck

Top: Maple

Neck: Mahogany

Body: Mahogany

Fretboard: Rosewood

Inlays: Parallelograms

Tuners: Rotomatic Grovers

Beautiful!!!!

I bought the Holy Grails because I got them cheap on SlezeBay ($140 +ship) and I really didn't like the CS 54's once I got them home so I said' date=' "what the heck" (gotta be careful 'cuz some Nancy Boy whined to the Forum Nazis about my language)..".give the Holy Grails a shot" and they worked..I really don't like the Lace Sensors like they used in the Clapton models originally...without the mid-boost of the EC they sound horribly thin...and I really hate the Fender Vintage Toneless errmmm Noiseelss that are in the teal American Deluxe (top right of the photo) but I have a kazillion other projects ahead of that so it's a pretty low priority at the moment. I used 500K pots and .02mfd caps (ceramic discs) with the Holy Grails and I'm thinking maybe even going to a .047mfd to try to give it a bit more bottom...but again, so many things to do and so little time...The Holy Grails are strange in that they're actually single coils but the way they split the coil tricks the pickup into sensing a polarity reversal which cancels the noise...guitar voodoo that I don't completely understand but it works..

Mr.Nelson[/quote']The more I think about it the more I like the Fat 50's...I can live with all the positions, which is hard to say for most SC pups. You are so right about their top end, most folks are not into top end, but these days I'm digging sparkle over most all things.... might be my bad hearin?

My "Canine" signature would be a dream for me' date=' just what I like...

body wood: single piece, unchambered mahogany with a solid flamed bookmatched maple top

[/quote']

That's along the same lines of what I would pick...

Mine would be:

brand: Gibson

body wood: single piece, unchambered mahogany with a solid AAAA flamed bookmatched maple top

top finish: Desertburst, also available in PRS's 10 top "denim" finish with no body or headstock binding, top edges in natural maple, PRS style (I would own one of each)

back finish: natural figured mahogany

neck wood: One piece mahogany with long tenon

Binding: 5 ply body/head (Desertburst only), 1 ply neck

fretboard: Rosewood with jumbo frets

bridge: Robot system

tuners: Robot system

hardware: Nickel

pickups: Seymour Duncan uncovered '59s, 4 conductor, no logo

control layout- two volume, master tone, Robot knob (colored to match other knobs), 3-way toggle switch, independent push/pull coil tap volume controls

Other: No pickguard, Robot system would be set up NOT to lower guitar output at all while using tuning feature. Knobs, including Robot knob, would be gold speed knobs. Non-robot knobs would be numbered to 11.

And since we're dreaming, it would be made in China and retail for $999 with hardshell case. Which case? The one that says "Bad Mother F**ker" on it!8-[

Archived