Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton 2 Bone Nut

rlajack1217

Riajack,

A bone nut is a great addition to any guitar.

The effect on the sound, however, is negligible at best. The only time it is going to make a diferrence is on open

strings. Another considerations is that most will not come pre slotted. Also, if you are looking at bone consider

that most Epi nuts are are closer to 1/4" wide as opposed to 3/16" (standard on Gibsons)

An alternitive that many are going to is the graph tech "Tusq" nut. They are pre slotted, although the bottoms

still need to be sanded for correct height. Also, the tops can be sanded for desired string exposure. (Not much of

a time saver)

They are a high temperature, high pressure synthetic.

I have used the PQ-6060-00 on a couple of Epi L.P.s....they are also listed as fitting Sheratons. I like them.

The PQ-6060-00 is white. The PT-6060-00 is black and often referred to as a trem nut. I have been told they are the same thing.

This discussion has come up before and James-Edward (a member) said he got a better fit out of the PQ-M600-00

which is actually for a Martin. ( 7/32" wide) but you can check all the measurements and deside for yourself.

Here is where I buy mine:

http://anthillmusic.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=155275&c=0&i=239531050

They have a toll free number, good prices and support.

If you look up any parts on their search it will often only show a picture. If you click the part number below the picture

it will often expand and give you the specs.

Good luck....hope this helps

I've heard that replacing the nut that comes standard on the Sheraton II with a bone nut improve the sound. I'm wondering whose done this and which one did you buy?

I'll let you know in a couple of days how I like a bone nut. Took my Sheri and PRS to have them setup yesterday. He was appalled at how poor the Sheri was. He's going to level the frets and everything else you'd expect for a setup. He said the nut needed a lot of work (too tall and strings bind). I asked how much to replace it and after he gave me a price (a little expensive) "I said what the hell, do it!"

So he is cutting a bone nut for it also, pics to follow on Friday when I get it back.

Riajack' date='

The effect on the sound, however, is negligible at best. The only time it is going to make a diferrence is on open

strings. [/quote']I beg to differ with that statement.

While plastic to bone swap is not so obvious, try a brass nut sometime, it's becomes instantly obvious even on FRETTED strings that the nut still comes into play for the tone.

Your finger fretting the note does not 100% remove the affect of the nut as the string's termination point.

Unless that is you have some incredible clamp like steel fingers.

IMO they sound like crap. My point was they make it quite obvious the nut affects tone even fretted.

well' date=' the greater density of the brass adds to the over-all density of the neck which changes the resonant qualities of the guitar...I don't happen to think bone is the end all to be all for [i']all [/i]guitars. Bone works great on some guitars and so-so on other guitars and Tusq or other synthetics like Corian work well on some guitars and not so great on others...and then there's Fossilized Walrus Ivory..it can be a process finding the right material for the particular guitar but there's no question that brass sucks lol...I had one on a Les Paul back in the late 70's for about a week...it was all the rage and as you mentioned about the foolishness of youth lol...I have to replace the nut on my SJ-200 and I have the nut blank (bone) on the way and I've done other nut replacements but this involves having to score the finish so I can remove it without messing up the finish (it's inlayed and it ain't coming out easily) and at first I thought "no problem" but I don't trust always myself to do every thing on a guitar and this could be disastrous if I screw it up... we shall see lol..

Mr.Nelson

well' date=' the greater density of the brass adds to the over-all density of the neck which changes the resonant qualities of the guitar...I don't happen to think bone is the end all to be all for [i']all [/i]guitars. Bone works great on some guitars and so-so on other guitars and Tusq or other synthetics like Corian work well on some guitars and not so great on others...and then there's Fossilized Walrus Ivory..it can be a process finding the right material for the particular guitar but there's no question that brass sucks lol...

Well said.

Willy

well' date=' the greater density of the brass adds to the over-all density of the neck which changes the resonant qualities of the guitar...

Mr.Nelson[/quote']Beyond that I believe and have heard differences due to the material itself even once notes are fretted.

Folks make the erroneous assumption that once you fret the termination point is out of the sonic equation, I contest it is not.

Bend a fretted note, pluck the string length BEHIND the nut, the note BEHIND the nut WILL go sharp, fingering a string does not totally remove the string lengths termination point 100%. Hell a fretted note is really a micro bend too....but that's another discussion.

Riajack

I hope you come back and read this.

I replied because you asked a good question and I hoped to give you a starting point.

The members that replied after me have given you some very good information. I hope you are taking account of

what they are saying.

Sledge.....

Ya, Let us know when you get your guits back. I, for one, would like to know how things turn out.

Got my guitars back today and the bone nut on the Sheri is sweet.

I can't tell how much difference if any the new nut made, the fact that it's now the right height however made a huge difference. Having this guitar setup was the best thing I've done, notes that killed my pinky to play now I just have to barely rest my finger on the string and the notes are clear.

Now I know any awful sounds coming from the guitar are my fault, I knew that before but now I have no other excuse.

Sheri-Nut3.jpg

Sheri-Nut2.jpg

Sheri-Nut1.jpg

I beg to differ with that statement.

While plastic to bone swap is not so obvious' date=' try a brass nut sometime, it's becomes instantly obvious even on FRETTED strings that the nut still comes into play for the tone.

Your finger fretting the note does not 100% remove the affect of the nut as the string's termination point.

Unless that is you have some incredible clamp like steel fingers.[/quote']

I can't believe it.

At last someone who agree with me about brass nuts.

I use them on all my personal basses and have for years.

And for years I've had people tell me I was all wrong.

But, by golly, I hear it!

TWANG

I've got an epiphone tusq nut here.. new in package.

I made my own sheri nut, out of bone.

I'll go look right now and see if this is a fit.

Ok. tusq is man made ivory.. as good as if not better than bone..

part no PQ 6060-00

Tusq nut slotted 1/4" Epiphone

Tusqs rating for tone puts Gibsons Corian as second to Tusq, and ivory bone and micarta close thirds.

It looks a perfect fit.

Now.. it may be high. That's just smart. You don't want the thing low cause you can't add material.

If it's a tad high at the nut slots.. you just sand/file a bit off the bottom..

It just means putting it on a couple of times..

That's what I'd use.

Much easier than cutting one.. and I doubt anybodys bone nut is going to fit better right out of the box.

graph tech, which makes the Tusq nut says:

most important is e to e spacing.. must be correct.. ((and they are!))

extra length and width is common and easily taken down with fine sandpaper.

They know that not all guitars even of the same model and manu are going to be exact.. so they let you do the easiest part of the final fit.

I think that's the way to do it.

tWANG

That bone nut in the pics doesn't seem cut very well to me.

Sorry.

But you can see on the high E and the A string especially that the slots were not uniform along their length..

although they can be somewhat off, that's too far for my taste.

Also, the A string has visible space beside the string at the fret side.. unacceptable.

Although 51% of the string resting in the slot with the rest above is as perfect as it gets.. it also appears that this rule is not even close to

uniform on the nut.. and the Low E appears to be too far out of the slot.

It probably works.

But honestly, looking at the g and b strings, too..

I'd have done it over.

TWANG

Archived