there is a definite difference, in horn shape, between

the "sunburst" version (more Gibson like), and the black, and natural

version. Then, I went to the Epi site, brought up the Sheraton,

and there it is, again. Definitely more "Gibson" like horn shapes,

than in the past. Epiphone stated, that it was going to be

going back to old specs, and...by the looks of it, they

must be. I'm assuming that the photo of the "Sunburst,"

is the "Qingdao" Chinese version, and the other black

and Natural ones, depicted, are the Korean versions.

Anyone (including our Epiphone Monitor) want to comment,

or "speculate" on this?

CB

If so, it's a good thing, in my opinion. Here's a shot of my Sheraton II:

EpiphoneSheratonIImod.jpg?t=1233276029

and here's my ES-335 Dot:

GibsonES-335andBluesJr.jpg?t=1233276105

The 335 is close to the original '58-'62 shape, while the Sheraton is more like the early Gibson-made Sheratons (probably intentional, to differentiate them from Gibson); to my eye, the "Mickey Mouse ears" are much more attractive.

I looked at the MF site and it appears that you are right.

Yeah, there's a definite curve to the inside of the horn, on the newer ones (and your Gibson 335) that the Korean Sheri's don't have,

or at least the ones you see, most often. That's why I wondered if the newer Chinese Sheraton's were ALL like that (I'm assuming

they will be), or if that was a fluke? I can't get to a music store, easily (without driving 100 miles), anymore to check this stuff out,

so I have to rely on photos, and you guys, to help me out, here.

CB

Well, the "Elitist" were the most like the "old" Sheratons, in style, pickups, paint scheme (except in "Poly," instead of Nitro), and hardware.

This newest version is more like a 335, in horn shape, as opposed to the original or "Elitist" versions. At least, that's the way it looks, from the photos, I've seen. Maybe someone here, with a newer ("Qingdao?") Sheraton can confirm that? Or...someone from "Epiphone," maybe???!

CB

lookin' at Mf now..

yah.. the black horns seem to have a tighter curve inward than the burst..

I held my fingerpickin nail up to it.. switched pics back and forth.. they move a bit. but I just moved my head to compensate..

and it's no trick of the eye.

I still haven't chosen a fave yet.. *L*

TWANG

lookin' at Mf now..

yah.. the black horns seem to have a tighter curve inward than the burst..

I held my fingerpickin nail up to it.. switched pics back and forth.. they move a bit. but I just moved my head to compensate..

and it's no trick of the eye.

I still haven't chosen a fave yet.. *L*

TWANG

Well, if by "tighter" you mean less inner curve, I agree. The Sunbust seems "more" curved (to me)...

whereas the Natural and Black ones, have more of a straight inner edge... It's no big deal really, but

personally, I prefer the newer version, as on the Sunburst.

CB

CB' date=' I just noticed you're in Kansas -- my home state. Where are you? I grew up in Leavenworth, about 30 mi from KC (still go up there to visit cousins in Lawrence & KCMO).[/quote']

LP...Another "Jayhawk," huh? Leavenworth?...I hope you mean the town and not the prison?! LOL! ;>)

I went to KU years ago, and lived in Lawrence for several years after school.

I'm in South Central Kansas, now. I still have some family in Kansas City, too...but most are scattered

all over, anymore.

I actually bought my '76 LP Deluxe (used), in Overland Park..in '77. Still have it! The mini's had gone

mircophonic (as is not unusual, for them, after that many years), so I had sent them to a good friend

that has a repair service in OKC, figuring I'd have to have them rewound and wax potted, but he said

all they needed was the wax potting. They sound better, now, than they ever did! LOL!

Where do you live, now? I just returned to Kansas (grew up, here) after living in Southern California

(Santa Barbara, then Los Angeles) for 30+ years. But here, it's a Much nicer pace, and it's great not to have

to wait in line, for EVERYthing! Now...I drive to Walmart, 25 miles away...and pass maybe 10 cars....in LA

you'd pass 10 cars getting out of your car port! ;>) I do miss my friends, and So Cal weather, though...

especially in the Winter! LOL! But, it's good to be back "home!"

Cheers,

CB

My family moved to Riverside CA when I was in Jr High, finished high school there, BA from Cal-State Fullerton (worked full time running the truck scale on the night shift at the Sunkist Lemon Processing plant in Corona while going to college...where the plant was, Fender is now. I don't know what that says about their quality!). Came to TX for graduate school at UT Austin, and spent a couple of years shuttling back and forth between the LA area and TX until I settled here in Nacogdoches in '78 to raise my kids. Now all grown and married, all three live in Austin, and drive newer and more expensive cars than I do, so I guess they're doing all right.

This town is about 600 due south from KC, very similar to NE KS but without the snow.

My own LP Deluxe is a southern boy...the original owner carved his Social Security number on the back of the headstock (sure wouldn't do that now!); the # was issued in AR. A subsequent owner was from Shreveport, and the brother of John Campbell, a local blues phenom, now deceased, who lived here until he was signed by Electra and moved to NYC (search "John Campbell" on youtube and you'll find some amazing performances, including one at the Montreux Jazz Festival). SInce then it's been in Nac and Houston, and now Nac again: a friend bought it from the store that took it in trade, in '85, then he sold it to me in '97. It had a dead bridge p/u so I put in Seymour Duncan SM-1s, very close in tone to the originals.

I retired nearly 6 years ago, and finally have been able to devote myself to recording, playing, gigging, and horse trading gear.

My family moved to Riverside CA when I was in Jr High' date=' finished high school there, BA from Cal-State Fullerton (worked full time running the truck scale on the night shift at the Sunkist Lemon Processing plant in Corona while going to college...where the plant was, Fender is now. I don't know what that says about their quality!). Came to TX for graduate school at UT Austin, and spent a couple of years shuttling back and forth between the LA area and TX until I settled here in Nacogdoches in '78 to raise my kids. Now all grown and married, all three live in Austin, and drive newer and more expensive cars than I do, so I guess they're doing all right.

This town is about 600 due south from KC, very similar to NE KS but without the snow.

My own LP Deluxe is a southern boy...the original owner carved his Social Security number on the back of the headstock (sure wouldn't do that now!); the # was issued in AR. A subsequent owner was from Shreveport, and the brother of John Campbell, a local blues phenom, now deceased, who lived here until he was signed by Electra and moved to NYC (search "John Campbell" on youtube and you'll find some amazing performances, including one at the Montreux Jazz Festival). SInce then it's been in Nac and Houston, and now Nac again: a friend bought it from the store that took it in trade, in '85, then he sold it to me in '97. It had a dead bridge p/u so I put in Seymour Duncan SM-1s, very close in tone to the originals.

I retired nearly 6 years ago, and finally have been able to devote myself to recording, playing, gigging, and horse trading gear.[/quote']

Interesting! I have friends and family in Texas, as well...(Dallas/Fort Worth area)...and my best friend's daughter

lives in Austin. I'll check out "John Campbell." as you've suggested.

Have you any experience, with the newer Sheraton's, in your gear trading? It looks as if they've changed

the upper bout horns, a bit...at least by the photos I've seen.

CB

I haven't seen any newer Sheratons (mine was a '95 Samick) due to the fact that there are no Epi dealers anywhere around.

When you search "John Campbell," be aware that there's the "blues" JC and the "sacred" JC, and they are NOT the same person! The one I knew is the blues guy.

My gear trading has been based on three criteria: 1) the new gear (other than guitars) must be significantly lighter than the old; 2) the guitars have to be Gibson electric/Fender bass quality or better (after a lifetime of yard sale bargains and pawn shop prizes); and 3) anything I don't play regularly must go.

The single exception to the last rule is a custom-made flamed maple jumbo built for me by a local luthier, which has a little too much fancy inlay on it for me to be comfortable with it...but it has my signature inlaid at the 19th fret, and it goes to my oldest son when I'm gone. But, in fact, I pulled it out of its case this week and tried it out on the latest song our

"Baptist Blues Band" will perform at church ("Jesus on the Mainline" -- search for that one, too, on youtube and check out Ry Cooder) and it's got a really funky sound for that '30s Blind Willie McTell bottleneck whine. I notice that it's aged nicely, too.

Front and back:

BullFrogMountainJumbo.jpg?t=1233342358

BullFrogMountainJumbo122rear.jpg?t=1233342414

It's based on a 1937 Kay jumbo that the luthier owns.

Thanks. I've had her for, what, 22 years now? And she doesn't get out of the case that much. I recorded a guy from Austin playing an original song on her a couple of years ago, but otherwise she hasn't gotten that much use. I keep fresh strings on her, and she lives in her case, but I really have no excuse for not playing her more.

A friend has her sister: instead of butterfly inlays, his has roses, and a satin finish instead of the gloss on mine (both guitars were made from the same flitch of fiddle back maple, and the trim -- ebony and rosewood binding -- is the same on both guitars, but while I play slide on mine, he has a percussive style that has broken in the top quite a bit more). Once I saw the satin finish, I was almost sorry mine was gloss: the back of his guitar looks like quartz crystals when the light hits it.

The butterfly has nicely aged, as noted: she's now turning into amber all over -- she's sitting on a stand about 6' away from me while I type this -- and, other than a few flat-pick scratches (not mine!) on her face she's like new.

What the heck: the camera's nearby, so here she is:

Butterflyside.jpg?t=1233356728

You can also see the clutter, my guitar case rack made of PVC, and several amps, if you look closely.

hey. smart guitar case rack!

great looking guitar' date=' too!

TWANG[/quote']

Thanks. A friend came down from St Louis a couple of years ago with his wife. He reported that she **really** liked the guitar case rack. When I was in St Louis visiting I asked her, "what was it about the rack? The neatness, the fact that it takes up less room?"

"There's only room for so many guitars!"

Seriously (although that was serious enough) it took a 10' length of PVC and a little time spent measuring. Tip: use the PVC cleaner on each joint before you glue it. Tip #2: It doesn't take paint very well, even when you primer it....

Thanks. A friend came down from St Louis a couple of years ago with his wife. He reported that she **really** liked the guitar case rack. When I was in St Louis visiting I asked her' date=' "what was it about the rack? The neatness, the fact that it takes up less room?"

"There's only room for so many guitars!"

Seriously (although that was serious enough) it took a 10' length of PVC and a little time spent measuring. Tip: use the PVC cleaner on each joint before you glue it. Tip #2: It doesn't take paint very well, even when you primer it....[/quote']

I see you have some Optimus Linaeum book shelf speakers. Nice.

Listened to John Campbell on YouTube. Awesome! Thanks, LP...

Was he on "Austin City Limits," back in the late 80's? Sure seemed familiar,

but the name didn't ring a bell, right away. I've been out of the "music" scene,

for 30+ years, until reccently...so, it's no surprise I missed him. Sorry I did, though!

I did used to watch ACL..on a fairly regular basis, though...so, I'm wondering

if maybe I have a memory, from that?

At any rate, thanks for the recommendation!

CB

Guys' date=' please show me the two Sheratons side by side. I'm not seeing these differences.[/quote']

Jeff...go to "Musician's Friend"...to the Sheraton and compare the Sunburst with the black and Natural

ones. If you look at the upper bout horns, you'll see the Sunburst has more of a rounder 335 style,

and the inside curves (very much, to exactly like our Riviera P-93 LE's do) of the horns have a more

"curved" (and less straight line) to the upper areas of the horns, as in the Korean versions. Once you

see it, it's pretty obvious...and even more so, on the Epiphone Website, under Shearaton. But it's only

on the Sunburst version...so I think they're still using older photos, for the Natural and Black.

See what you think...

CB

I see you have some Optimus Linaeum book shelf speakers. Nice.

Yeah, I read a review in the old Audio magazine, and then waited until RS put 'em on sale. I have 4 of the first generation (shown in the pic) in my office + a subwoofer, and 4 of the later ones in my living room + a sub. I bought another quartet for my youngest son when they were closeouts, and lucked into the matching center channel speaker, all for around $200.

CB, John Campbell was not on ACL that I know of -- and there are enough of his friends/fans around here that I would've heard, I think -- but he became very popular in Europe and traveled to Germany and England often to play in blues programs. At one point he told me he was #2 on the German charts, right behind Paul McCartney.

And to Jeffery Smith, sorry for hijacking the thread....

Thanks LP...I was just curious. He was an awesome player...sorry he's gone!

As to getting back the the original subject...if you go to Sweetwater, and pull up images of the Sunburst

Sheri, and then the Black or Natural one, you'll see what I'm talking about, with differences in the upper

bout horn shapes. No big deal, really...it's just cosmetic, but it seems more "Gibson/Epiphone" and less

"generic," the new way. So...I applaude it!

CB

I love the way Sweetwater puts photos of the actual guitars on their site.

That's cool. I think that shape is much more attractive than the narrower horns. I wonder if they changed when they went to new tooling for the Chinese factory? All the Korean models I've seen (or seen pictures of) have the narrow horns.

I also think Gibson is smart to make the resemblance to the 335 more obvious -- the days when the Epi needed designs distinct from the Gibson are long gone, and this change helps differentiate the Sheraton from the Ibanez and other wannabees out there. In fact, I've been preaching for some time that Epis are such good deals because they, unlike other inexpensive brands, use the superior McCarty-era designs.

Archived