Gibson Brands Forums

Raven West Guitars

animalfarm

Hey, I've been looking at a SAGA kit for months (Les Paul style). I have the ability to do

the assembly, wiring, soldering, set-up, but don't have a wood-working shop to do my

own body blank, neck, etc. I Want a Les Paul made from Padouk Wood, but will have to

settle for SAGA if I go that direction. My real questions are about tiger stripe staining the

wood, and am researching that issue. Already know about the Nitro finish. I need to source

the Padouk, then flip a local artisan a few fins to cut the blank. Probably will use maple neck,

don't know how to make my own yet.

LC10PartsBreakdown.jpg

Of course, if my measurements are off, I might end up with:

Big-Guitar-sm.jpg

It might be EASIER to just build one of these:

Fender-Guitar--4288.jpg

Hiberna!!! Way Cool!!!! Be aware, though, that when the girls kneel at your feet they might just be

using your guitar to adjust their make-up!!! Glass Cleaner, I assume?

Hiberna!!! Way Cool!!!! Be aware' date=' though, that when the girls kneel at your feet they might just be

using your guitar to adjust their make-up!!! Glass Cleaner, I assume?[/quote']

nope, glass cleaner makes it really foggy, not sure what the front is, i presume perspex but still it could be glass. I use regular gibson guitar polish and it works more then great but it takes about and hour plus to get every little spec of sweat and dirt off it. And yeah, the girls do like it, sometimes more then me. :-k

Memphs1978: THAT is what I see when I look at a SAGA kit!

Me want one, too. Wood Grain...(huh, huh, huh - you said WOOD, huh, huh, huh...).

Hiberna, your AXE makes me think it belongs here:

369669qVXU_w.jpg

Sounds like you'd better have one of the groupies polish it....The GUITAR, I mean...

That looks pretty snazzy to me, Hibernia.

Snazzy is old fart lingo for awesome.

23 skidoo!

Animal.. they ship with sealer.. the top is a thin veneer.

I have stripped a teles sealer off and stained it. The basswood took the stain rather oddly.. almost black in some places, and

much lighter in others.

Achieving uniformity on your veneer will depend on how you remove that finish.

If you sand it, there's a big risk you'll cut right through it. And if you use stripper, you're still going to have to do the edges, near the binding

which can melt, by hand.

Use LOTS of patience on that part and you CAN get it down to bare wood.

I can't predict how it will take the stain, but I feel sure that you'll have much more uniformity with the veneer than the basswood

showed.

Also, there are little things you can do with stain, mixing colors, reapplying, etc., to make it come out cool.

Be sure when you start that whatever idea you begin with, the wood will argue with you. Be prepared to modify your idea and then

not be disappointed if it isn't exactly what you wanted. But close, I beleive you can do that.

You can tone by mixing a little stain in with the sealer.. that would give you more of the golden look on the other guitars pictured, and it can

change an overall tone of the stain beneath.

You'll have to reseal it, then fine sand it.

and you can use wipe on poly.. practice first. get to know how to really tack rag it well.. and you can use wipe on poly and get a smooth, thin,

uniform finish.

and more.. email in other thread.

TWANG

Twang' date=' you can now expect some lie to the effect that he's played 10 of every model in the range so that's how he knows.[/quote']

I can expect you to continue to talk as a fool.:-k

And just before he posted the above reply to me' date=' right on cue, we get a load of lies about what he's seen and played:

I've played a few of the early Rev's and they were pretty nice. Especially the P90 ones.

It's pretty obvious all these other crappy imports are all the same trash with a bit different makeup slapped on em. The folks that are sucked into this crap are gettting what they deserve.

Funny thing is folks here complain about the fake Epi's.....they are in all likelihood the same guitars from the same factory as all this other crap.

About 10 years ago I got to take a walk through a storage warehouse, it had thousands of import guitars, all basically the same bodies with many different names on the headstock, archtops, LP's, SG, you name it. After grabbing a few dozen at random it became obvious how crappy all this stuff is. Looks fine in pics and on a guitar stand, but that's it. Buy on suckers, it's just like the crap in the Sears catalog 30 years ago.

And just before he posted the above reply to me' date=' right on cue, we get a load of lies about what he's seen and played[/quote']

Anyone who told you to be yourself couldn't have given you worse advice, anyhow....Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone.:-k

Anyone who is interested in building their own guitar should be commended

and encouraged, knowledge is a good thing that can be passed on to others -

Pay it forward, etc. So, COMMEND ME (not CONDEMN). I'll start it, and I'll finish

it!!! Hmmmm....What is Uncle Sam "fixin'" to play? Looks like a Left-handed guitar

due to the location of the Trem and Knobs. Don't recognize the design yet...

764946_7137_625x1000.jpg

That design is a left-handed version of Brian May's (guitarist for Queen, for those who don't know) "Red Special," a guitar he designed and built with his father. Replicas are available from several companies.

I won't "quote" the whole thing, but DAMN Twang. Well said sir.

*inserts 80s movie slow clap here*

In reference to teh POINT of all of this:

I do not mind some glammy inlays, in fact, one of the reasons I purchased my S101 instead of an Epi , which is my usual habit, was while they were the same price after I cut a deal with the shopkeeper, the S101 had a KILLER look to the inlays (pics forthcoming once I get back to the apartment). I liked how it LOOKED. I liked that I had never seen a guitar with a similar appearance. I wanted something that even stock said "Michael plays this, and this is why." I wanted it to capture a bit of ME. It's why I refinish my straps. It's why I'm modding my LP (with the help of a couple fine gentlemen here). It's why for the life of me, I cannot cannot STAND Fenders, but I so desperately wanted a Strat with a custom pinup painted on the back.

Gentlemen, and the few ladies here as well, at the end of the day, no matter what, someone is going to be pissed off at the opinions of someone else. Marx and Twang are a fine example about it, but NOBODY should ever stand there and say "I got this JUST for tone" or "I got this JUST because (insert artist name here)" played it.

Humans are visual creatures. It's why we measure attractiveness in our gender of choice visually (though we hide behind "sense of humor!")

So TWANG, well said. I loved the carnival bit.

Marx, I appreciate your opinions, and genuinely believe you've played what you say, becuase hey, why not? I've played some killer instruments, and I haven't done much to earn anyone's trust, so just believe it when I say it.

And to the rest of you:

Play what you like

Mod what you like

Choose what you like

Because at the end of the day, when the bassist revolution happens, we gotta have some kick-*** guitars to play at that battle!

The Prophet has spoken! He cometh down from on-high into our Den of Sin to save our souls from all that is poly coated from those filthy Asian shores!

Hear ye, o hear ye all of misplaced faith. Throw down thy cheap Asian pieces of Crap and worship the One True Instrument of Worship, be it American Made of Caucasion labor, for only by the American Way shall thou find an instrument worthy of worship!

Cast out, I say Cast Out thy cheap Asian Pieces of Crap and bow ye before the alter of the One True nitro-finished Idol and beg forgiveness from thy Nashville bretheran for thy sinful desires and past deeds!

All Hail the Prophet! He hath come to save us from ourselves.....

Archived