Gibson Brands Forums

This one is too far gone for me even!

ksdaddy

"Ahh that's nothing. You should have seen the state of the other fella!"

If only it could speak. What a story that would be.

Here's an idea Messrs Gibson. How about a pack of strings for the best story?

Here's my story: Pete Townsend was in the city to do Letterman and forgot his guitar. So, being a good friend, I gave him mine. Here's the video. Watch it to the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URfzAemzG2s

i'll bet KSD could put that back together! i guess when you get guitars for free you can do that.

Even Pete pays for his guitars. Most big stars do. At least that's my understanding. Even those with signature models' date=' and those that are endorsed by the manufacturer.

But... they are a tax write off. (Tools of the trade) If you make a living with your gear...write it off!

(see your accountant)

Even Pete pays for his guitars. Most big stars do. At least that's my understanding. Even those with signature models' date=' and those that are endorsed by the manufacturer.

But... they are a tax write off. (Tools of the trade) If you make a living with your gear...write it off!

(see your accountant)

i heard, back in the day, the who staff would scour pawn shops and buy up all the junk available. they'd put that in front of their real gear and destroy it instead. not sure if that's true or not but it seems it would get very expensive if it wasn't. it's a pretty hackneyed gag anyway you look at it.

i heard' date=' back in the day, the who staff would scour pawn shops and buy up all the junk available. they'd put that in front of their real gear and destroy it instead. not sure if that's true or not but it seems it would get very expensive if it wasn't. it's a pretty hackneyed gag anyway you look at it.[/quote']

In the early, early days, pawn shop gear was their main gear! lol

funny still how the context has changed. he didn't really strike me as the angry, young quadrophenia lad but rather it reminded me more of a visit i paid to my grandfather in his latter stages of dementia. he was in a home, sitting in the tv room when he suddenly began lashing out at his IV bottle and the stand it was on.

Here's my story: Pete Townsend was in the city to do Letterman and forgot his guitar. So' date=' being a good friend, I gave him mine. Here's the video. Watch it to the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URfzAemzG2s[/quote']

Dear oh dear

How the mighty have fallen Didn't he miss Roger Daltry!

Can remember the Who at Bath Pavilion circa Spring 65 ( my mother took me in my pram LOL)

THAT was angry. one SG/ one Ricky samshed into a wall of Marshalls wearing the Union Jack Jacket and hitting Keith Moon with the remnants of a Ricky.

Oh happy days

By the way the previous year The Yardbirds at Bath Pavilion saw them twice, you guessed it

First time with a very bored Clapton playing "for your Love"

Second time with the immaculate Jeff Beck.

That second gig was the one that put me off playing lead guitar for ever!

Nostaligia just isn't what it used to be!

Nostaligia just isn't what it used to be!

great line' date=' JT.[/quote']

Older than "The Hills" + Methusala + me + T Wilson

It's making a comeback, wwhich I wish Pete hadn't! LOL

It's making a comeback' date=' wwhich I wish Pete hadn't! LOL[/quote']

Fabulous clip but not for the ending. I've never understood that. I'm a huge Who fan so thanks for that Gearbasher. Love the song. Pete Townshend - genius.

I saw them most recently at the Isle of Wight Festival in 2005. He and Daltry both played his sig SJ200 for a couple of songs. Best gig I've seen but no broken guitars mind.

I guess maybe I'm getting old. I think PT SUCKS and someone should get a very heavey Epiphone Jumbo and beat the living $%&^ out of him for doing that to a creation that was made to make music. That ain't no genius man. That's a bone head.

I know the man has made some great music. I listened to his stuff and went parking with girls to it when I was a kid but given the great music he's made doesn't make an act like that look cool to me.

I guess maybe I'm getting old. I think PT SUCKS and someone should get a very heavey Epiphone Jumbo and beat the living $%&^ out of him

Is it really impossible for you to imagine that he was caught up in the moment? He mentions that they are not doing a song from his new album and he is really POed to have to succumb to an old Who standard when he is on the show as a solo artist - so he puts all the rage into the performance and just kills the tune - a real bang up job - and then he assassinates the guitar. It is almost perfect. If his timing were slightly better in the first verse and if the mix wasn't a little too bright . . . well, then you would have magic.

It was a guitar. Wood, built by people with bills just like the rest of us. In ten thousand years the guitar is gone for sure - he just brought the future forward a bit. You criticize him for killing something that was built to make music. He made music, then nailed it. I still think it was brilliant - I just think you don't like Townshend.

Feel free to think whatever you like. My opinion is still that it was more of a childish spoiled kid rant of a person who obviously has too many toys. I think of the kid who wants to play music and could have used that guitar (PT even mentioned "the Children) to learn on. Waste of something like that really is disgusting to me and it wouldn't matter which so called "genius" did it. Maybe if he had to work hard like some of us to aquire our guitars he would appreciate them more. WHAT a putz!

Brilliant??? HA! Anybody can bust a perfectly good guitar.

"Is it really impossible for you to imagine that he was caught up in the moment? He mentions that they are not doing a song from his new album and he is really POed to have to succumb to an old Who standard when he is on the show as a solo artist - so he puts all the rage into the performance"

That's quite an imagination you have going there. smile.gif Thanks for the chucks!

My opinion is still that it was more of a childish spoiled kid rant of a person who obviously has too many toys.

Yes' date=' he [i']does [/i]have too many toys. He's earned every one of them.

Maybe if he had to work hard like some of us to aquire our guitars he would appreciate them more.

Seriously Rick' date=' He's worked [i']extremely [/i]hard for the last 50 years. East Texas is remote, but c'mon.

Case in point: Can you preform with any consistency as he does night after night after night, and command the pay he does? I thought not. He has earned the right to do what ever he wants with his, just as you have the right to do as you wish with yours.

WHAT a putz!

Well thought out and articulate.

It is your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

Thanks for the chucks!

I seriously could care less if he's worked 24 hours a day for his entire life. That still doesn't give him the right in my view to destroy a good guitar. If that's cool with you then fine. You can take an axe to your axe if you want just like he can. That doesn't mean I have to agree with or respect it AND I DON'T! Your opinion is yours. Mine is mine. End of story.

East Texas remote?? HAHAHA Man I'm 80 miles due east of you. That's not exactly what I'd call remote but I respect your opinion to think that anyhow. I've been around the music business all of my life and I just do not find it impressive to destroy a perfectly good guitar. I thought PT looked childish and since this is America I have the right to feel that way. My dad played steel guitar on the stage of the Opry with some of country's best and I never once saw him have a fit onstage and wipe out his guitar. Sorry man but it looked completely foolish to me. Glad you enjoyed it though and I encourage you to do the same if the mood strikes you, thanks for the chucks! I mean seriously.........

My sincere apologies to KS Daddy for taking your original post a bit off topic. I doubt that Gibson can be revived.

I read somewhere in an interview Pete said he regretted destroying all those guitars (even though many were second tier instruments just for the occasion) but felt he had to do what was expected. He said he wouldn't do it anymore, but he must have had second thoughts. He also made it clear that he had no attachment to instruments as "art objects," but rather as tools, nothing more. And as tools, they serve his purpose in their destruction.

I think PT is an outstanding guitarist, has worked hard, paid dues, etc., and can do what he likes. It is a little over-the-top for someone his age, but that's still his gig, and entitled to do it. It's not like Donald Trump setting fire to one of his misbegotten architectural carbuncles, which would nevertheless be an unmixed positive. At least Pete earned his clear and on his own.

Archived