Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul, Advice Needed

RenegadeMaster

As some of you are probably aware I am still in the process of purchasing a Les Paul Custom Ebony guitar

Now, I have to ask for your honesty here, and hope I can get a truly unbiased response, the question

I have is, is Epiphone the way to go? Are they any alternatives? (Such as maybe Tokai) that are maybe better?

Discuss :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theres always alternatives for anything. The best buys in Epi Les Paul models are the Studio and plain top, but I dont care much for the new Chinese models. If I were to go with Tokai I would go for one of the older, Japan built models but that can get pricey. Some of the guys here have Agiles that they are happy with. Just look around and play as many guitars as you can.

RM, I think it's fair to say that MIC guitars are of the same overall quality. I've played many that are just as "good" as my Epi, and would be comfortable buying one. Many are less expensive than Epis - paying for the name on the headstock is part of the deal. As has been seen, even some the latest counterfeits seem to be as good as the genuine Epi product, showing how other Chinese factories are making a very similar product. I'd say that there's a likelihood that Epi and other guitar makers get their components from the same suppliers. OK, bottom line. Play every LP you can get your paws on and buy the one you like, regardless of the name on the headstock, keeping in mind that Epis are just Asian Gibson knockoffs, in reality.

As some of you are probably aware I am still in the process of purchasing a Les Paul Custom Ebony guitar

Now' date=' I have to ask for your honesty here, and hope I can get a truly unbiased response, the question

I have is, is Epiphone the way to go? Are they any alternatives? (Such as maybe Tokai) that are maybe better?

Discuss :)[/quote']

Alternatives? Sure...but, what's your budget? And...What do You "really" want? If it's a Gibson...then

I'd save for that! If you're ok with the Epiphone price/quality, and If you're still shopping for your guitar, I'd play as

many as possible, of every brand possible, and find the one that "speaks to you!" Japanese made

Tokai, Burny, Dillon guitars are decent, but as has been mentioned...can be a bit pricey, nowadays.

So, Epiphone LP Customs are probably as good (if not better) than most, in that price range...

PROVIDED you check it out, carefully (Inside and out), and it has everything you want.

Cheers, and good hunting!

CB

Can we not get down to material terms, when I say Les Paul, we all know I mean

a Les Paul model guitar, http://www.guitarjapan.com/edwards/edwards-gutar1.html

I have been looking at them, what do people think? Are MIJ guitars really much better

then MIC or MIK guitars ? And I want peoples opinions to judge on, so this

discussion is all about what you feel is best and why, I have stated the budget I am on :)

Epi Les Pauls are authorized weather you choose to believe it or not.

weather or not you want to belive it or not its still a copy from the very first Gibson les pauls..

now RM ive given you my .02 worth of advice i love my epi's dont get me wrong but for the price and for the factory stuff the agiles will not only save you money IMO is a much nicer guitar but thats just me...

I just checked out rondos pages and I have to say.. the parts list and hardware.. the options and finishes.. available models and prices

are very competitive.

You can see what all the fuss is about.

TWANG

Everyone is entitled to there opinion and that is the purpose of this discussion, I appreciate the input

you have given on the Agile guitars and I am considering it, could people please not be biased

just because this is an Epiphone forum, if you think an Epiphone is best, state your reasons why :-

Well then I guess the only real Les paul was the first one off the production line. Stick with Epi or Gibby.

You won't be sorry.

dude have you even looked at the Agile guitar's? now if you got a hard on for an epi by all means buy one but if you want to save some money and get a very nice IF NOT nicer guitar buy an agile or something else but thats up to you

Now' date=' I have to ask for your honesty here, and hope I can get a truly unbiased response, the question

Discuss :-[/quote']

The first choice I would suggest is Agile (one of the higher numbered models, such as the 3000 area). I have two and like them very much. Tokai are nice but hard to find.

RM, if you are willing to be patient, you might be able to find a used Epi Elitist LP Custom for sale in that price range.

They are harder to find now that they are out of production but you can sniff them out on occasion. IMO Elitist LP's are woth every penny or pound in your case.

Archived