Gibson Brands Forums

Has anyone seen an Epiphone Slash model?

JefferySmith

I just played a Slash model for the first time at GC a few days ago. It had a comfortable neck profile, was light in weight, and appeared to have good workmanship. The price was $999, which I think is a bit too high for a Chinese built guitar. I believe that $799 would be a bit more reasonable.

Midiman just post a topic about slash gold top saying this :

"Just to make sure I hadn't suddenly developed unfound upper body stregnth, I grabbed the Epi LP Custom right next to it and it felt like the slab of wood you would expect. Honestly, the Goldtop felt lighter that my chambered LP Ultra. It played okay, I guess. They've knocked the price down to $799, by the way and it still includes all of the "case candy". My favorite parts of the guitar were the tuners ... and the color is actually prettier than the Gibson version IMHO."

You will also read an answer from an Epiphone mod in that topic... something very unusual.....

Midiman just post a topic about slash gold top saying this :

"Just to make sure I hadn't suddenly developed unfound upper body stregnth' date=' I grabbed the Epi LP Custom right next to it and it felt like the slab of wood you would expect. Honestly, the Goldtop felt lighter that my chambered LP Ultra. It played okay, I guess. They've knocked the price down to $799, by the way and it still includes all of the "case candy". My favorite parts of the guitar were the tuners ... and the color is actually prettier than the Gibson version IMHO."[/i']

You will also read an answer from an Epiphone mod in that topic... something very unusual.....

I had a completely different notion about the Slash neck. I think that one of the USA guitar mags described it as a Louisville Slugger. That was enough to make me shy away.

I had a completely different notion about the Slash neck. I think that one of the USA guitar mags described it as a Louisville Slugger. That was enough to make me shy away.

I felt the same way Jeff. I too had heard that the Slash had a large neck profile but the one that I played at GC didn't feel that way at all. It felt more on par with Epis standard line. With the upgraded pickups, case, and workmanship, this guitar would be well worth the $799 that others have saw it going for but my local GC was asking $999.

I've tried both, Gibson and Epi, Slash LPs. I was totally blown away with the Gibson model. Me and LPs have always hit rock bottom for some reason...althought I do like them. Anyhow not this time. If I was in the market for an LP this would probably be the way I would go...or something close.

The pickups on the Gibson where killer I thought...great sounding. On the Epi they didn't do much for me....maybe I should have not played the Gibson before hand.

The profile on both are about the same. Not quite the slim tapper '60s IMO but real close. Definitely no baseball bat feeling on either one....one of the things that turn me away from LPs.

Anyhow much better than any other Epi LP "I'VE" played...or done the demo thing before IMO. But having done a side by side with the Gibson kind made me put the Epi up....not really fair to the Epi IMO, but that's how it went.

I don't think it's worth 1000 dollars though...at least not to me.

I felt the same way Jeff. I too had heard that the Slash had a large neck profile but the one that I played at GC didn't feel that way at all. It felt more on par with Epis standard line. With the upgraded pickups' date=' case, and workmanship, this guitar would be well worth the $799 that others have saw it going for but my local GC was asking $999.[/quote']

I finally did see it on GC's web site, for $999. If I were to see it for $799, it might be enticing. But Rafael's post indicates that, if you're gonna get a Slash, save up for the Gibson model. With the economy the way it is, I'll be Slash-free, I'm afraid.

LOL...I didn't want to come out right and say it being on a Epi forum, but yeah that's exactly my take. Very good Jeffery.

As I said it's not bad, not worth 1000 bucks IMO, but did feel better than other Epi LPs I've tried.

I guess if a body never plays the Gibson one, one might be happy with the Epi version. For myself, and as you understood, if I wanted one I would save up and get the Gibson. Anyhow just my opinion.

LOL...I didn't want to come out right and say it being on a Epi forum' date=' but yeah that's exactly my take. Very good Jeffery.

As I said it's not bad, not worth 1000 bucks IMO, but did feel better than other Epi LPs I've tried.

I guess if a body never plays the Gibson one, one might be happy with the Epi version. For myself, and as you understood, if I wanted one I would save up and get the Gibson. Anyhow just my opinion.[/quote']

My wife would shoot me if I brought one more guitar into the house, so I'm sort of happy that the Gibson is out of my range.

I felt the same way Jeff. I too had heard that the Slash had a large neck profile but the one that I played at GC didn't feel that way at all. It felt more on par with Epis standard line. With the upgraded pickups' date=' case, and workmanship, this guitar would be well worth the $799 that others have saw it going for but my local GC was asking $999.[/quote']

I mentioned this in the other Slash thread, both of my local Guitar Centers are currently selling the gold top for $799 with the case and all the candy. I'm going back and forth between it and a Black Beauty. Same price, but the BB would also cost me the price of a case!

MIDI

I mentioned this in the other Slash thread' date=' both of my local Guitar Centers are currently selling the gold top for $799 with the case and all the candy. I'm going back and forth between it and a Black Beauty. Same price, but the BB would also cost me the price of a case!

MIDI[/quote']

Ever since I picked up the factory 2nd ebony Sheraton, I've gained an appreciation for them black guitars. Like playing a tuxedo.

Ever since I picked up the factory 2nd ebony Sheraton' date=' I've gained an appreciation for them black guitars. Like playing a tuxedo.[/quote']

Don't I know it, Jeff. I have that Epi Lucille and every time I pick it up I feel like I should be wearing a tuxedo myself! Very classy looking girls, Luciile and Sheri!

MIDI

If I could find the burst finish epi slash model for 799, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat, but I just can't get into the goldtop finish. Never have, really. My first LP was an epi goldtop standard from the mid 90s, and it was great. I just didn't care for the color.

That, and I never finished paying the guy for it, and he repo'ed it...

I put $100 down on the second last one in Melbourne acewarslave. For $1540 I got the LP and an Orange Crush 15w for the spare room - this is my first electric in 13 years and i'm now married with a dog blah blah so no huge marshall stacks were appropriate lol!

Maybe next year... I played this and a bunch of other LP's, even some strats :-$ and thought this was a great deal for the Seymor Duncans, neck profile etc. plus it comes with hardcase, lead, strap.

All for a smidge over $1500 AUD? Not bad I reckon. If you're in Melbourne I think there's one left at Mannys but that'll be it - only 2000 of them worldwide so if you're gonna go for it go for it now!

I mentioned this in the other Slash thread' date=' both of my local Guitar Centers are currently selling the gold top for $799 with the case and all the candy. I'm going back and forth between it and a Black Beauty. Same price, but the BB would also cost me the price of a case!

MIDI[/quote']

I have never cared for the Goldtop myself but if I could get the Slash for the same price as the Black Beauty it would be a no brainer. Go with the Slash ! The upgraded pickups and case amount to several hundred dollars and you never know; the finish may grow on you. If not, you could Ebay it at a lter time and get most of your money back.

hey joshimax thats a pretty sweet deal on the slash model..there were 2 selling a scarlett music he had $1399 buy now..which is a good deal thats the best price ive seen from music stores..the one i was lol..at is still on ebay witch is the price of a good second hand gibson standard he has got $2.395.00 on a slash eppi#-o

Archived