Gibson Brands Forums

Jack Casady Bass

floydpink7

Do you have a Jack Casady Bass, or know anything about it?

Then post your experiences, thoughts and opinions about this semi-acoustic bass right here!

I think it looks really nice with its ES style body, and because it's semi-acoustic I'm thinking you could play it without an amp.

Hi

I've had mine for just over a year.

If the house was on fire that's the one possession i'd grab.

Not only does it look great, it has got a lovely tone tho' I hide this with the effects I use!

The passive pick up really has some power to it! I can't speak highly enough about it.

I had to get the action adjusted & some of the frets needed fret-stoning but it's fine.

Buy One!!!

I have a Casady, and I love it. It's semi-hollow, with a center block like a 335, but the top doesn't touch the centerblock, so it vibrates freely. Acoustically it's not loud enough to perform with (even with acoustic guitars), but it is loud enough to practice by yourself without an amp.

It has a much different sound than, say, a Precision bass, which also has a single pickup in the "sweet spot." It's like the difference between a solidbody electric and a hollowbody --- the Casady has a woodier tone, and the low impedance pickup is very quiet and brings out more of the acoustic tones. It blends really well with acoustic instruments (guitars, piano, vibes, winds), and I use it in the studio for jazzier tunes too. You wouldn't mistake it for a stand-up bass, but it does get a bit of that quality. For funk-style slapping and popping a la Larry Graham or the Brothers Johnson --- not so much.

On the other hand, cranked up it gets that big, deep rolling bass sound that I associate with Jack Casady and Phil Lesh. It's lots of fun to play, and it's a unique design from any other basses out there, both visually and sonically.

i want a new rivoli! :)

symmetry!

Yeah... thanks for the help everybody. Currently my (realistic) dream guitar. But Hey! Dream guitars don't always have to be crazy!

If you don't mind me asking, what nation is this?

Hello...

I just received my JCB this week. I didn't have a chance to play it before I made the purchase since none of the local re-sellers had the JCB in stock. I felt a little anxious about making the purchase blindly.

Well... I played my Jack Casady Bass last night at a gig and I have to say that it has met and surpassed every expectation that I had about this bass.

It's slim long scale neck is easy to navigate. It's light compared to my Thunderbirds and certainly has no neck dive issue. The tone is punchy compared to that of my Rivoli. The tone of this bass is really deep and the sustain is quite nice.

I bought the JCB to replace a 2002 Epi Les Paul Standard Bass and a Rivoli that has fallen out of favor since I've had to repair the headstock.

I've been looking for another Rivoli since they were last in production and have been kicking myself since then. My Les Paul Bass Standard was stolen out of my car last fall, and now it's hard to find that bass since it's out of production as well.

My only complaint is that the "E" logo on the pickguard is not so secure.

Buy this bass while you still can. You won't be disappointed.

I got a gold one a few years back. Probably after seeing Jack and Jorma in Pittsburgh - one of the BEST concerts ever!

One day I decided the pots were noisy and took it to my local music store, BIG mistake!

The idiot there pulled out the pots and threw them away before realizing he had no idea what value they were, or that this bass was in any way unusual!

I did some research, was unable to get a wiring diagram but learned about the inductor and the low-z thing, and inconclusively came up with some pot values (can't remember what today) which I was able to find in my junk box. I took them to the store and after arguing with the guy about how to read pot values found that he had made such an ungodly mess of whatever soldering he had attempted that I basically did what I had to do to minimize the remaining microseconds me and my bass spent in that place. (I'm fuzzy on the details, this was a few years ago and my memory is still clouded by my ill feelings toward the idiot). Anyway - now I have a bass waiting to be put back together, but I still don't know what value those pots should be.

Sorry for being so verbose. If you're in N.E.Ohio contact me and I'll gladly defame the idiot by name!

Can anyone help?

the jack casady bass is the next best thing to a rivoli bass... And since the rivoli basses are so rare and valuable (pricey) it's a better thing to own the jack casady bass...

I mean... The guy from Jet plays one in: "Are you gonna be my girl"... and that's a pretty cool song and a pretty good bassline...

The real question is.... black.... or gold.... I would go for both... they're both stunning-looking! :D/

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

I've just bought one of these and I'm mighty impressed so far. I usually use a P Bass for most of the band work but after two gigs, I'm using the JC more and more.

I also took a look at the Ibanez Artcore basses beforehand but there is a big difference in quality for a relatively moderate difference in price.

I'd love to know how these stack up against a Gibson?

Cheers,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Jack Cassidy bass is based on the earlier Gibson "Les Paul Signature" bass, which was in

production from 1973 to 79, when all Les Paul Basses were discontinued. But the JC has the

same basic body shape, and characteristics. The Gibson LP Signature was a heavier, more

substantial feeling bass, and quite loud, acoustically too, by comparison. But, the JC bass seems

to be a nice one, from what little I've messed around with it, in shops, etc. I'm sure the owners of

that bass will have a better idea, of it's particulars! But, they are cool looking, and decent sounding.

CB

Jack Cassidy bass is based on the earlier Gibson "Les Paul Signature" bass' date=' which was in

production from 1973 to 79, when all Les Paul Basses were discontinued. But the JC has the

same basic body shape, and characteristics. The Gibson LP Signature was a heavier, more

substantial feeling bass, and quite loud, acoustically too, by comparison. But, the JC bass seems

to be a nice one, from what little I've messed around with it, in shops, etc. I'm sure the owners of

that bass will have a better idea, of it's particulars! But, they are cool looking, and decent sounding.

CB[/quote']yes, and I had one of those Les Paul Signature Hollow body guitars, gold top. I sold it about 15 years ago, but I miss it now.

Archived