Gibson Brands Forums

I think mine came from a bad factory.

MMeazey

I was examining my Epi Les Paul the other day and noticed that i had some marks underneath the lacker. So it must have been knocked and dented before it got painted. Also my tuning knobs were on the wonk and I have recently had a problem with the volume knobs rubbing against the body. It says on the back of the kneck "handcrafted in China" and "QC Assurence".

Was wondering two things:

Do these guitars actually go through a Quality Control process? If they do, Are they strict?

And are the factories that are prone to send out duff guitars?

Would good to hear if there is someone else that has the same problems.

I was examining my Epi Les Paul the other day and noticed that i had some marks underneath the lacker. So it must have been knocked and dented before it got painted. Also my tuning knobs were on the wonk and I have recently had a problem with the volume knobs rubbing against the body. It says on the back of the kneck "handcrafted in China" and "QC Assurence".

Was wondering two things:

Do these guitars actually go through a Quality Control process? If they do' date=' Are they strict?

And are the factories that are prone to send out duff guitars?

Would good to hear if there is someone else that has the same problems.[/quote']

MMeazey...

IF what you say is in fact true...please do yourself and us a favor, and return the guitar, for

one that has NO issues. With no malice or ill will intended, if you accept anything less, you

become part of the problem, and not the solution. There seems to be a larger (than usual)

amount of sub-standard (finish and workmanship) guitars showing up, on this forum, lately.

So, please...if you are unhappy with what you see...return it! It's your money, after all.

You really don't have to spend it, on shoddy anything.

Cheers,

CB

There has been much debate over the quality of the Chinese Epis. I've been hanging out at this forum for several years and have noticed that in years past when all Epis were made in Korea there were very few threads about 'poor quality'. The 'poor quality' threads have increased substantially since production moved to China. To me, that is very telling.

There has been much debate over the quality of the Chinese Epis. I've been hanging out at this forum for several years and have noticed that in years past when all Epis were made in Korea there were very few threads about 'poor quality'. The 'poor quality' threads have increased substantially since production moved to China. To me' date=' that is very telling. [/quote'] Just to put it into perspective, perhaps Epiphone is selling 10x the number of guitars they were before ...... perhaps the percentage of "bad" guitars getting out is the same, just a much larger number due to volume ??? Just playin' devil's advocate, here....I have no real idea. I can add my $0.02usd that my EE LP is at least as good if not better than I expected. Electronics are all fine, fit/finish outstanding - May of '07 must've been a good run of LPs over in Qingdao.

Great points, CB - if something is unacceptable in terms of quality, I agree.....return it for one that's "right", as you said, in accepting anything less, you become part of the problem, and not the solution. I couldn't agree more !!!

What the OP is saying about his guitar reminds me of a plant tour of a Big 3 auto plant, I took many years ago. They had a separate, smaller line for the cars that somehow had received body damage while in the plant, and this line went through a body shop type bunch of work stations. All these cars had been fully painted and they had gone back for rework. You could see the vehicles having large areas of primer rework where it had been repaired, likely with body filler and they were being steered to the paint booth to cover it all up. The number of cars going through this line was just huge.

I was surprised on the large size of some of the 'injuries" to these cars, some looked like a disgruntled worker had kicked the car's door in with their foot, or something like that. Sorry about changing the subject on you, but I thought I share this story. Anyhow, if you don't like what you got, send it back.

MMeazey...

IF what you say is in fact true...please do yourself and us a favor' date=' and return the guitar, for

one that has NO issues. With no malice or ill will intended, if you accept anything less, you

become part of the problem, and not the solution. There seems to be a larger (than usual)

amount of sub-standard (finish and workmanship) guitars showing up, on this forum, lately.

So, please...if you are unhappy with what you see...return it! It's your money, after all.

Cheers,

CB

[/quote']

A few months ago I purchased an Epi LP Studio but I found scratches on the fretboard and it also looked like the little curve of the neck near where it joins to the body was not sanded very well and very uneven and "lumpy". The neck on my special II looked much nicer and smoother in comparison. After mulling it over a couple of days, I decided there were too many flaws for this guitar to be considered an A Stock. If it had been labeled B Stock and priced accordingly ,I could have tolerated it, but as it was, I ended up returning it but the replacement showed up with a cracked neck. I returned it for full refund and have yet to buy another guitar.

Do I detect another EE Epis are chinese c**p due to lousy QA, etc, etc thread starting yet again.

Sorry but if you're not happy with your purchase go beat up the place you bought it as a first port of call. Nothing personal MMeazey but if you think your guitar's not ok then there's no point in asking us here cos we can't help you. Nail the shop who sold it to you and insist on it being fixed/replaced.

Frankly these sort of posts are commensurate with those on medical forums where the guy posts that his testicles have swollen to twice their normal size and turned green - should he be worried! Don't ask about it - GO SEE A DOCTOR!!

If you're not 100% happy then COMPLAIN.

If you're not 100% happy with the response COMPLAIN AGAIN

If you're still not 100% happy then address your complaint, in a nicely written letter, to the CEO's wife and post it to arrive on Saturday morning - she'll read this over breakfast. Follow this up with a second letter to her the next week to enquire why nothing has been done - she'll also read this over breakfast. You won't have to write a third letter because the CEO will definately not want to put up with anymore grief at breakfast. Believe me - it works!

The very reason that I purchased my Epi LP Standard Plus was the fact that it was Korean. I really wasn't seriously in the market but felt that at some point I would want an LP. I bought it in '06 and the guitar's date of manufacture was '04. The price was good and all other LPs in the GC were Chinese. The difference in quality was quite obvious. I knew that I would want a Korean and felt that the longer I waited, the harder they would be to find (another plus is the fact that the Chinese are now $200 more). I think that Chinese quality has improved since, but I'm still very glad I got mine when I did.

Do I detect another EE Epis are chinese c**p due to lousy QA' date=' etc, etc thread starting yet again.

Sorry but if you're not happy with your purchase go beat up the place you bought it as a first port of call. Nothing personal MMeazey but if you think your guitar's not ok then there's no point in asking us here cos we can't help you. Nail the shop who sold it to you and insist on it being fixed/replaced.

Frankly these sort of posts are commensurate with those on medical forums where the guy posts that his testicles have swollen to twice their normal size and turned green - should he be worried! Don't ask about it - GO SEE A DOCTOR!!

If you're not 100% happy then COMPLAIN.

If you're not 100% happy with the response COMPLAIN AGAIN

If you're still not 100% happy then address your complaint, in a nicely written letter, to the CEO's wife and post it to arrive on Saturday morning - she'll read this over breakfast. Follow this up with a second letter to her the next week to enquire why nothing has been done - she'll also read this over breakfast. You won't have to write a third letter because the CEO will definately not want to put up with anymore grief at breakfast. Believe me - it works!

[/quote']

I see where your coming from but i wasn't posting to seek help in that way, when i've posted my serial number and photos it would be interesting if anyone else has has the same problem as me from same factory.

Yeh i will look into taking it back, but i can see some obstacles in the way.

1. I bought it in November and now i have got over the "wow factor" when you first get it i have only just really concentrated on the flaws on it.

2. The shop is about 200miles away!

MMeazey...

IF what you say is in fact true...please do yourself and us a favor' date=' and return the guitar, for

Cheers,

CB

[/quote']

I am convinced that the Chinese quality ethic is one of "most people won't bother to return it, and for those who do, we'll give them another one", which is essentially saying that there is little quality control and no rejected specimens. I no longer buy anything at WalMart because it usually doesn't last very long and it is invariably made in China.

But, like the Japanese in the 1950's some things are well made (Nikon rangefinder cameras from the 1950's are wonderful). Eastman guitars rival Gibson in their workmanship and materials.

But back to what Charlie said, if you expected a well-finished guitar, take it back and get another. They will then sell your first guitar to someone else who doesn't know any better. After all, even ugly people with lousy personalities eventually get married.

Archived