Gibson Brands Forums

Gretch's Bo Diddlry Box/Slab

RaSTuS

It's weird' date=' but I like to be different!![/quote']

The story I heard about that guitar goes like this:

Bo was apparently playing in some pretty rough juke joints and dives at the time and was getting tired of his guitars being ripped off. He decided to have one made for him that was so completely different that it would deter pawn shop owners from taking it in as it was unmistakably Bo Diddley's axe!

If you've ever seen the "Billy Bo" from Gretsch, then you can see that he continued to play interestingly shaped guitars all his life.

MIDI

I would so play one of those. I'd be a ****** though, and have one made with 5 ply binding, a set neck, and a AAAA quilted maple carved top. I'd have the top carved with a hard bevel, like the end of a chisel. And a really nice glossy blue burst finish, or maybe a blue to green burst...

Actually, barring the set neck part, that wouldn't be too hard to build with an aftermarket neck like a warmoth or something, and a few nice pieces of mahogany and maple. Maybe even make it neck through... How awesome would that be, to have a guitar with all the high end cosmetic appointments of the finest PRS or Gibson model, but on a rectangular body? It would be beautiful and ugly as sin, all at the same time.

I want one, will probably dump my Traveller in the deal. Traveller has it's niche but I suddenly think for me this would fill it even better. Considered buying a Daddy Mojo for a while but if the Didldley's are anywhere near MSRP it seems like more bang for the buck than either. I love a sleeper, and if the l'il box makes big tone it'll have that in spades.

Wedgie

Archived