Gibson Brands Forums

Hondo II les Paul....Worth fixn up?

I just recently found an old prob 70's or 80's Hondo II les paul in my grandpaws attic, no brigde or nut on it, prob needs some better tunners, I opoended her up and i am pretty shure its a chambered body, neck looks straight, its a realy good lookn cherry burst, block enlays, and the head stock looks exactly like a gibson, i dont know much about these guys but, i dont wana have to drop $300 to get it back in rockn shape when i could buy a new epi for around that price.........help me out thanks

One question, is the neck "bolt-on" or "set"?

If it is bolt on I would only put into it what you are willing to do for your own enjoyment.

If, however, it is a set neck, it is somewhat more valuable and might be worth a restore.

Hondo has an interesting history.

In the Eighties I had a couple of Hondo guitars.

One was total crap and the other was quite good.

How bout a pic or two to help us to determine the condition?

heres the picks what do yall think and if so any ideas for makn this a nice cheap gutiar just to have on the side/Users/maxhartzog/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Data/2008/Jun 27, 2008_2/000_0005.jpg/Users/maxhartzog/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2008/Jun 27, 2008_2/000_0012.JPG/Users/maxhartzog/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Data/2008/Jun 27, 2008_2/000_0010.jpg/Users/maxhartzog/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2008/Jun 27, 2008_2/000_0009.JPG/Users/maxhartzog/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2008/Jun 27, 2008_2/000_0011.JPG/Users/maxhartzog/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Data/2008/Jun 27, 2008_2/000_0007.jpg/Users/maxhartzog/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2008/Jun 27, 2008/000_0006.JPG/Users/maxhartzog/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Data/2008/Jun 27, 2008_2/000_0007.jpg/Users/maxhartzog/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Data/2008/Jun 27, 2008_2/000_0014.jpg/Users/maxhartzog/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2008/Jun 27, 2008_2/000_0013.JPG/Users/maxhartzog/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Data/2008/Jun 27, 2008_2/000_0011.jpg

• 1 month later...

A friend once asked me to fix his guitar. It was a Hondo les paul copy, and it really was a pice of S#?! the body was hollow with a plywood top. the alleged Humbuckers were actually rubbishy single coils housed under a gibson style chrome humbucker cover........i could go on ranting, but you get the idea.

I reckon you should post up some pics and the gurus can have a close look at it.

OOps i just spotted your link. If i found it i would fix it up best i could but i wouldn't spend any real money.

<<PING>> idea........ why don't all us peeps on the forum donate some left over guitar bits, you know, the nut left over from your ex's LP copy, or the PUP you still have from that old SG that you replaced with EMGs.

What do you think!!! forum project?

I just recently found an old prob 70's or 80's Hondo II les paul in my grandpaws attic' date=' no brigde or nut on it, prob needs some better tunners, I opoended her up and i am pretty shure its a chambered body, neck looks straight, its a realy good lookn cherry burst, block enlays, and the head stock looks exactly like a gibson, i dont know much about these guys but, i dont wana have to drop $300 to get it back in rockn shape when i could buy a new epi for around that price.........help me out thanks[/quote']

That guitar originally went for way under $300. Maybe under $200. And they're crap.

Just get a guitar you really want with the money you'd put into it and throw that thing away.

Now that I've seen the pics, I can say this in all seriousness:

Firewood. Really. Don't waste your time.

I'm old enough to have been around when they sold these dogs, and I can tell you it will never be a good guitar. You'd be happier with a $199 Wilshire reissue.

hey guys, thanks for all the offers, its pretty awsome to see yall rally round the gutted guitar to hand out parts, but i think i am goin to take the advice that is is actually hollow with a plywood top, i noticed that, i got some good plans for it tho.

My pops is an avid home brewer, part of the Mystic Krewe of Brew, and he is just putting the finishing touches on his new mini brewery/ bar that he built in the back yard ( basically a pre fab mother in law suite), its got a 7 ft bar, and a walk n fridge, its pretty sweet for a kid in college to go home and find, well anywho hes stoking it with cool beer memerabilia, and ive been collecting bottle caps, so i think im just gona cover the guitar in some sort of pattern with bottle caps to make it like some art he can hang up on the wall

hey guys' date=' thanks for all the offers, its pretty awsome to see yall rally round the gutted guitar to hand out parts, but i think i am goin to take the advice that is is actually hollow with a plywood top, i noticed that, i got some good plans for it tho.

My pops is an avid home brewer, part of the Mystic Krewe of Brew, and he is just putting the finishing touches on his new mini brewery/ bar that he built in the back yard ( basically a pre fab mother in law suite), its got a 7 ft bar, and a walk n fridge, its pretty sweet for a kid in college to go home and find, well anywho hes stoking it with cool beer memerabilia, and ive been collecting bottle caps, so i think im just gona cover the guitar in some sort of pattern with bottle caps to make it like some art he can hang up on the wall[/quote']

Cover up the part that says "Hondo II," or your friends will laugh at you. :)

hey guys' date=' thanks for all the offers, its pretty awsome to see yall rally round the gutted guitar to hand out parts, but i think i am goin to take the advice that is is actually hollow with a plywood top, i noticed that, i got some good plans for it tho.

My pops is an avid home brewer, part of the Mystic Krewe of Brew, and he is just putting the finishing touches on his new mini brewery/ bar that he built in the back yard ( basically a pre fab mother in law suite), its got a 7 ft bar, and a walk n fridge, its pretty sweet for a kid in college to go home and find, well anywho hes stoking it with cool beer memerabilia, and ive been collecting bottle caps, so i think im just gona cover the guitar in some sort of pattern with bottle caps to make it like some art he can hang up on the wall[/quote']

Mean as!! Post sum pics up when ur dun!

Archived