Gibson Brands Forums

Factory 2nds or blems

wheatlands

The ONLY problem with 2nds and blems is when you go to sell. They just don't hold their store-bought or residual value like 1sts. It's generally better to just buy a mint condition used 1st and get your discount that way. As long as it's still in decent shape, you'll get almost/the same/more than what you paid out at sell time.

Cheers,

The "factory seconds" being sold at the website you cited (and many others, especially eBay)

are refurbs and not quite the same as true factory seconds sold by authorized Epiphone dealers.

The real factory seconds have "2ND" stamped on the back of the headstock, have intact serial

numbers, have a big black "2" stamped on the warranty card and are fully covered under the

warranty. The refurbs are not covered by the Epi warranty. I do understand, however, that

many of the refurbs are fine instruments.

My Dot is a factory second and only has some very minor finish problems at the neck

joint. BUT....it is a replacement (under the warranty) for the original 2nd, which should

have been a reject, having a loose trussrod and bad neck/bridge set. So, having the

warranty was a good thing for me.

I have a "2nd" cherry Dot. I got it from MF. The blems on it are very minor, and I love my Dot. I haven't heard of this company before that you had a link to. They couild be oaky to work with. I would send them an email and find out what their return policy is. They do have a pretty good selection. I really have my doubts that I will be buying any more Epis since buying my first Agile.

They have a 10 day return policy. Buyer pays shipping back. I e-mailed them and asked for a price on a Les Paul Limited Edition Custom Silverburst. They e-mailed back within a few hours and said they would try and locate one and get back to me with a price. I priced a new one out the other day, it came out to $830. Thats with case and tax. Its a little more then I want to spend. I'll wait and see what they come up with. I found this place on http://www.mylespaul.com

Wheat' date=' how does $399 sound? Ebony fingerboard, real MOP inlays. Maybe I'll get one myself.

Silverburst (Click)

I'll HAPPILY TAKE A "BLEM" depending on:

1. the actual damage

2. the actual price - if price is low enough, damage could be lived with. Shoot,

for the right price, I feel quite confident in my ability to glue a cracked neck.

Glue joint will be stronger than the wood.

Ron G!!!! I've been eyeballing the Agile site ever since GEN ZERO pointed out an

LP copy with maple fretboard. Went Hmmmm....... Who IZ deese guys? My research

shows mostly positive reviews for Agile gits. A couple even went so far as to say -

(HERESY!!! UNBELIEVERS!!!) - ON EQUAL FOOTING WITH EPI AND GIBBY?

I have a Dot Deluxe that should probably have been a 2nd or a Blem. There is a small issue with the binding in one location, there were some pit marks on the neck which also has a hollow or two, and the F holes weren't painted too well. I could probably find others. I got a good deal on it when MF was pushing them out the door and it plays just fine.

I'll HAPPILY TAKE A "BLEM" depending on:

1. the actual damage

2. the actual price - if price is low enough' date=' damage could be lived with. Shoot,

for the right price, I feel quite confident in my ability to glue a cracked neck.

Glue joint will be stronger than the wood.

Ron G!!!! I've been eyeballing the Agile site ever since GEN ZERO pointed out an

LP copy with maple fretboard. Went Hmmmm....... Who IZ deese guys? My research

shows mostly positive reviews for Agile gits. A couple even went so far as to say -

(HERESY!!! UNBELIEVERS!!!) - ON EQUAL FOOTING WITH EPI AND GIBBY?

[/quote']

I'm ordering my second Agile a week from Friday. I have an AL-3100 and it is an awesome guitar. I'm gonna get an AL-3000M HSB. I can't wait. Check them out, the quality is amazing and the price is unbelievable.

I, too, am eyeballing an Agile AL-3100. One thing mentioned an all the spec sheets for each

guitar - sez Bridge Post center-to-center spacing is 3" instead of the standard 2 7/8" for all

tune-o-matic replacement bridges. I emailed Rondo Music/Agile with same question. "Is this a TYPO,

or is Agile using special OEM Agile-only bridges?" if so, this kind of dorks up my potential plans

to upgrade any bridge hardware. I LOOKED at all photographs over and over, it sure LOOKS like 2 7/8"

but maybe an optical illusion? Anyone out there know the answer???

I' date=' too, am eyeballing an Agile AL-3100. One thing mentioned an all the spec sheets for each

guitar - sez Bridge Post center-to-center spacing is 3" instead of the standard 2 7/8" for all

tune-o-matic replacement bridges. I emailed Rondo Music/Agile with same question. "Is this a TYPO,

or is Agile using special OEM Agile-only bridges?" if so, this kind of dorks up my potential plans

to upgrade any bridge hardware. I LOOKED at all photographs over and over, it sure LOOKS like 2 7/8"

but maybe an optical illusion? Anyone out there know the answer??? [/quote']

I replaced the bridge on my AL-3100 with a Wilkinson roller bridge, I put a Bigsby on it. It fit no problem. I have the same birdge on my Dot and Sheraton. The Agiles are Asian made like Epis, so you will need to get metric, but you shouldn't have any problems finding replacements. The bridge I took off my Agile looked just like the ones on my Epis, except that Epiphone wasn't stamped on the bottome of the bridge.

Guest icantbuyafender

my G400 is a 2nd I bought 6 yrs ago for $300 ($100 off!) even at a shop its finish is oddly several shades of cherry darker than most(which I love) . other than that and the 2nd stamped on the back of the headstock she's every bit of a guitar the regular ones are, if not more.

Archived