Gibson Brands Forums

100% Epiphone: stock Wildkat+stock BC30

Gashole

Hey guys. It occured to me in my last Epi sound sample post that with mods, my Sherri ain't sounding like a typical Epi.

Sooo...

Here we have a link to a solo guitar instrumental version of Sir Paul's "Live and Let Die". It's way laid back-wanted to sustain chords out so you could hear the chemistry betwixt the guitar and amp. Just fingers, pick and Bigsby-no slide. The BC 30 is on channel 2 in class A, drive at about 2 '0'clock, level at about 8 '0' clock, reverb at noon, ...the rest is dimed. The Kat (a Ltd. from Indonesia) is purring through the bridge pickup with about half of the tone rolled off. Volume to the pickup is max.

Gives you idea of what this gear can do I hope. Just follow the link-MP3's are on the upper right part of the page. Thanks for listening, hope it helps to move some Kats and BC30's rather than the opposite!

Live and Let Die

Nice job, GAS!

You gave the song a real "rock-a-billy" feel! Geez, now I want a WildKat more than ever ... I'd really like a FlameKat, but those days seem to be gone forever. Anyway, great tone and great playing. Thanks for sharing!

MIDI

Thanks MIDIman 8-[

I have been in love with that particular chord progression for a long time. Not sure that I want to even try to put bass and drums to that recording-I like it as is-sparse though that may be. Kinda like a rockabillyesque/surf hymnnal LOL. Also-I wasn't real adamant about tempo-always a chore to sync up the drum machine in that situation. I was surprised that I turned a roughly 3 minute tune into a 6 and a half minute tune-especially since really only minimal "new" parts were added to it. Really just a segue riff into the "rocked up" section was added, and a bar here and there of the existing song was repeated an extra time. The rest of the added length just comes from the lethargic feel of the song. I really tried to lay back and not add any fast flourishes and notey passages.

I tried to get the Wildkat sounding telecasterish for this one too. Between that and P90's w/ Bigsby I was envisioning Roy Buchanan and Neil Young trapped inside one guitar player. How's that for incongruency?! LOL

If my house was burning up-I'd grab the Wildkat before any of my Gibsons...htough I'd probably try to haul my SG out at the same time...and the BC 30 and the pedal board....after the wife and the pets....probably...maybe I could get her out at the same time? No, no-I'd get her to carry guitars too! Yeah! ..If I lived through it, I'd have to rename everything Lucille I guess...hope it never comes to it! Suzanne wouldn't like me to start calling her Lucille after all of these years. She'd have to change all her documents. What a pain in the *** that would be. LOL

Thanks again!

Very cool. Funny how us Wildkat players must have similar tastes. I think the Kat attracts a certain type of player :-) I particularly like the bit when you get into the boogie rhythm. It's like surf meets rockabilly meets Crazy Horse. I'm completely down with that.

There's a growl to the Kat's tone that stands out... and makes you play a certain way. I hear you, I've got more expensive guitars but I still consider the Wildkat to be my main box.

Thanks jook!

Yeah, the Wildkat has alotta mojo. I sometimes question my sanity that I REALLY DO prefer this guitar to any number of American made Gibsons and Fenders that I have had past and present. It throws the whole maxim of you "get what you pay for" a little bit into the air. I still think that's a valid rule of thumb, but the Wildkat definitely makes a convincing arguement that it isn't always so. I sure wish there had been an Elitist model out there...I would have been willing to sell a guitar or 2 for that-a practice I swore off at the turn of the century. I don't like to cannibalize the stable.

I imagine the Kat does attract a certain "kind" of player. I was really looking at Gretsch when I discovered the Kat-so that probably tells you a little bit. I don'tthink of myself as a rockabilly or surf guy either...I just wanted to test those waters. I've always been a blues rocker. The Kat has opened up a whole new thing for me that quite honestly is very exciting. It's helped me get out of a playing rut by lending itself so well to styles I wasn't exploring prior to purchase.

Thanks for the listen and feedback!

Sounded great GasHole. Who says stock can't rock ? Hope you post more for us to enjoy.

Will do. I'm working on Train kept a rollin right now with the Kat...trying to incorporate stuff from several versions...Jonny Burnett's original feel in the verses-Aerosmith's intro, Zeppelin/New Yardbirds solo break...and my own...whatever it is. It'll have bass drums and vocals too.

Everyone (Guitar Center' date=' Sweetwater, MF, etc) says the Wildkat will be back in stock next week. I just asked all of them to email me when they get it in ... DAMMIT!

Epi ought to send you a bird-dog check, GAS! LOL

MIDI[/quote']

Sweet Dreams! (Sweet Dreams indeed...Damn! That tune is awesome. You tube Roy Buchannan Sweet Dreams some time if you want to be utterly humbled and alternately inspired)

That would be nice though. I swear to God that if I ever manage in this long strange trip to ever make a name for myself as a musician, Epiphone will make me an Elitist Wildkat at the very least! LOL!

Sweet Dreams......:)/

I sure wish there had been an Elitist model out there...I would have been willing to sell a guitar or 2 for that-a practice I swore off at the turn of the century. I don't like to cannibalize the stable.

Haha! I've thought the exact same thing. And it was hilarious when I scrolled down and came across this too:

That would be nice though. I swear to God that if I ever manage in this long strange trip to ever make a name for myself as a musician' date=' Epiphone will make me an Elitist Wildkat at the very least! LOL![/quote']

Man' date=' that was exactly what I thought too! Y'know, when I'm on one of those days where I'm in a ... uh... hazy sorta place... I'd think, god, if I'm ever in a situation where I can get a signature guitar, it'd be an Elitist Wildkat (or even American made! I mean, why not go all the way when you're dreaming up the impossible).

So for several years, I've always thought ... if they made a sunburst Elitist Wildkat, I'd grab it in a heart beat.

... then a couple years back, I found that they [i']almost[/i] did it. They made a bunch of Limited Edition custom models that were exclusive for the Japanese market. It wasn't an Elitist though, and I believe they were manufactured in Korea (or Indonesia). I spotted it on a trip to Japan. And I thought hard about parting my cash for it.

epi-wild-05.jpg

It's basically the Alleykat burst body. While it was very cool, it wasn't different enough from my MIK Wildkat to justify the purchase. Y'know, it wasn't an Elitist.

Here's another rare Limited Edition Wildkat:

EpiphoneWildcatLimited.jpg

That one really looks wild. :)

Man' date=' that was exactly what I thought too! Y'know, when I'm on one of those days where I'm in a ... uh... hazy sorta place... I'd think, god, if I'm ever in a situation where I can get a signature guitar, it'd be an Elitist Wildkat (or even American made! I mean, why not go all the way when you're dreaming up the impossible).

So for several years, I've always thought ... if they made a sunburst Elitist Wildkat, I'd grab it in a heart beat.

... then a couple years back, I found that they [i']almost[/i] did it. They made a bunch of Limited Edition custom models that were exclusive for the Japanese market. It wasn't an Elitist though, and I believe they were manufactured in Korea (or Indonesia). I spotted it on a trip to Japan. And I thought hard about parting my cash for it.

epi-wild-05.jpg

It's basically the Alleykat burst body. While it was very cool, it wasn't different enough from my MIK Wildkat to justify the purchase. Y'know, it wasn't an Elitist.

Here's another rare Limited Edition Wildkat:

EpiphoneWildcatLimited.jpg

That one really looks wild. :-k

Wow-I really like the finish on both of those. I have seen the second one on ebay, but not the first one. I need a second Kat actually. I intend to be gigging again sometime this year after a long hiatus...I want to pretty much rely on the Wildkat. I really want a second as backup. It will be cheaper to rig a Bigsby/vibramate to my SG Classic and use that, but I *want* another Kat.

An Elitist would be so nice! I described my dream in the "dream guitar" thread-a US made high quality Wildkat. I intend to upgrade mine a little in lieu of that. Pots and wiring for sure. I might slap on a set of US Grovers that I have sitting around, since even I can do something that easy. Eventually, just because I'm fussy, not because it needs it, I'll have a graphite nut put on(so I won't have to apply graphite every string change, not a big deal...may never get around to it, but would like to). Nothing else seems necesary! It's a great guitar.

Wow-I really like the finish on both of those. I have seen the second one on ebay' date=' but not the first one. I need a second Kat actually. I intend to be gigging again sometime this year after a long hiatus...I want to pretty much rely on the Wildkat. I really want a second as backup. It will be cheaper to rig a Bigsby/vibramate to my SG Classic and use that, but I *want* another Kat.

An Elitist would be so nice! I described my dream in the "dream guitar" thread-a US made high quality Wildkat. I intend to upgrade mine a little in lieu of that. Pots and wiring for sure. I might slap on a set of US Grovers that I have sitting around, since even I can do something that easy. Eventually, just because I'm fussy, not because it needs it, I'll have a graphite nut put on(so I won't have to apply graphite every string change, not a big deal...may never get around to it, but would like to). Nothing else seems necesary! It's a great guitar.

[/quote']

I think the cool thing with having a second Wildkat is that you could have more liberties with modding one of them. I'm tempted to change things on mine, not because it's inadequate at the moment, but because I'm just curious if there's even more hidden attributes that I can bring out of it. On the other hand, I'm afraid I'll lose elements that I'm already fond of. For example, changing the pickups (and wiring) is tempting, but the current pups are so raunchy as it is. They sound a little like they're out of control, and barely contained... I don't really get that vibe with even Gibson guitars with P90s. Or maybe that's just the combination of P90s with the chambered/semi-hollow small body? I'm not sure.

Hey GAShole, I was just looking up P90 replacements for the 'kat on here, and I discovered that I contributed to your original thread when you were asking about the Wildkat and you were undecided at the time. I'm glad it's turned out so well for you and that we didn't lead you astray! Who's up for a Wildkat enthusiasts society? :-k

Also found this thread. I presume (from the title of this current thread), that you didn't end up replacing the pickups?

Nice job there GAShole...and yeap I love My WildKitty also! it's the Turquoise and Chrome one...only thing I want to change on it is the bridge..wanna roller bridge for it.

Have no complaints on anything else...just plays so sweet, even with the .11s I have one it. I can't tell the diff from the .10s on the Les Paul and the .11s on the Kat when I play them side by side.

It may help they are the Elixir coated string tho...when I change out strings next time will try another brand ( ernie ball) Just the thought of 12 bucks for a set of strings bothers me :-k but then I have had this set on since I bought the guitar and there is no sign of them going dead yet (can't remember when I got it but know it's over 5 months now at least)...and I play it everyday for at least an hour. I do try not to let the other 2 (Les Paul and Peavey Reactor)

feel to left out...lol

Capt

I think the cool thing with having a second Wildkat is that you could have more liberties with modding one of them. I'm tempted to change things on mine' date=' not because it's inadequate at the moment, but because I'm just curious if there's even more hidden attributes that I can bring out of it. On the other hand, I'm afraid I'll lose elements that I'm already fond of. For example, changing the pickups (and wiring) is tempting, but the current pups are so [i']raunchy[/i] as it is. They sound a little like they're out of control, and barely contained... I don't really get that vibe with even Gibson guitars with P90s. Or maybe that's just the combination of P90s with the chambered/semi-hollow small body? I'm not sure.

Hey GAShole, I was just looking up P90 replacements for the 'kat on here, and I discovered that I contributed to your original thread when you were asking about the Wildkat and you were undecided at the time. I'm glad it's turned out so well for you and that we didn't lead you astray! Who's up for a Wildkat enthusiasts society? :D

Also found this thread. I presume (from the title of this current thread), that you didn't end up replacing the pickups?

Hey Jook,

I decided against pickup replacement. Once I started using gain on the amp rather than pedals for that guitar, I became more satisfied with the Kat's breakup overdriven. Now, I've added a BBE treble booster in front of my OD pedal (usually a Marshall Bluesbreaker II, sometimes the old Blues Driver) and even with pedals the Kat breaks up nicely now. You are right about that barely in control aspect-but for me-it was just a bit too much-especially with a set of Gibson P90's in the house to compare. I couldn't be happier w/ the pickups now though. Just had to get past the curve. Pots and wiring though are still a must. I was shocked at the difference it made for my Sheraton...a turn of the knob really takes the sound somewhere with better pots and wiring. And I'm up for a Wildkat society, definitely! lol

Capt Midnight, thankyou too sir! Thanks for listening. 12 bucks for strings? That does hurt...but atleast we aren't bass players...those poor bastards only have to buy 4 strings and look at those prices! LOL

I've been looking for a P-90 guitar and the WildKat is at the top of my list, especially after hearing yours.

Not having luck finding one yet and I don't want another guitar in natural finish (I like em but want the next to be different)

Hopefully I can find one to trade my PRS SE for .........................................

I've been looking for a P-90 guitar and the WildKat is at the top of my list' date=' especially after hearing yours.

Not having luck finding one yet and I don't want another guitar in natural finish (I like em but want the next to be different)

Hopefully I can find one to trade my PRS SE for .........................................[/quote']

Excellent, I didn't turn you off from them! Thanks for listening.

There seems to be all sorts of short stock items all over the place. Hope you can lay hands on one soon, I bet it''ll be a keeper for you.

Archived