Gibson Brands Forums

Very Short-lived HNGD... Bummer... (Now with Update...)

KYSohn

I went to buy the Epi Alleykat, but saw a Fender (used) "Crafted in Japan" 60's Telecaster Custom with Bigsby Re-issue on the wall. Gave it a try, and it played well.

One problem I noticed was that the previous owner had sanded the back of the neck to remove the glossy clearcoat. In fact s/he got too excited with the sanding, and actually removed the yellow neck tint at the middle of the neck in about 1/3" width and about 7" length.

But the sanded neck didn't bother me that much because many people do that on the neck of LPs.

I figured it wouldn't hurt the resale value that badly in case I decide to sell it later on.

So I bought it and took it home. And here's pic...

IMG_1755_1.jpg

Looking good, right???

Then removed the pickguard to clean, and guess what I found...

That previous owner??? That dumba$$ had routed the almost entire area underneath the pickguard and made a HUGH swimming pool out of it!!! The size of the pool is about 4"x6"!!! :-&

IMG_1756_1.jpg

And the routing job was done pretty badly...

IMG_1758_1.jpg

Even though it plays nice, I will return it on Monday (that shop closes on Sundays) and get my money back because I don't want a guitar that has been messed up this badly!!!

Also, I think this lousy routing job will really hurt the resale value in the future.

(Unless, someone is specifically looking for a Tele "Secret Stash Chamber" Model...

So it was an unfortunate, short lived Happy New Guitar Day... Sigh...:-

You didn't notice the lack of weight when you played it in the store? I would think that would have been a red flag instantly...

Sorry you got screwed. Hope they don't give you too much trouble in returning it.

On the other hand, if you liked how it played enough to buy it, why not keep it? You shouldn't get rid of it solely because of resale value alone... Think about it this way: if you hadn't taken the pick guard off, would you still be happy with the guitar? If so, then consider the modification as just added mojo to the guitar, and play it for life. I bought and upgraded my fakes because I liked them, knowing full well I would never get back half of what I put into them. Buy to play, not to sell, IMO!

You didn't notice the lack of weight when you played it in the store? I would think that would have been a red flag instantly...

Sorry you got screwed. Hope they don't give you too much trouble in returning it.

On the other hand' date=' if you liked how it played enough to buy it, why not keep it? You shouldn't get rid of it solely because of resale value alone... Think about it this way: if you hadn't taken the pick guard off, would you still be happy with the guitar? If so, then consider the modification as just added mojo to the guitar, and play it for life. I bought and upgraded my fakes because I liked them, knowing full well I would never get back half of what I put into them. Buy to play, not to sell, IMO!

[/quote']

Actually, I did notice that it was fairly light for a Tele with a Bigsby, but I did not EVER expect to find what I found...

The store I bought it from has 2-day return period. So returning it won't be a problem.

If I hadn't taken the pick guard off, would I still be happy with the guitar?

Well, not really because even before I took the PG off, I thought something was funny about/around the neck PUP.

The tone from the bridge PUP was good, but there was something weird about the tone from the neck PUP...

That's why I took the PG off to inspect and clean any dust accumulated around the PUP...

The resale value is NOT my top criteria I consider when I buy a guitar.

But since I do have a tendency to sell and buy (and later regret), the resale value is something I cannot ignore 100%...

So I guess I will return this... Too bad, because I really wanted a Tele with Bigsby...

Dang, looks like the Gibson guitar company got ahold of yours to try out their

new "put holes in 'em and sell 'em" marketing scheme like the new "holy Explorer".

Worst case, an insert blank Could be cut, prepped and glued in, BUT I'd have to think

ANY reputable seller would drop their mouth open, immediately take it back, and

hopefully offer something even tastier at the same price to earn back your trust'and business.

Makes you wonder what would make someone think ,Yeah this is a good idea???? or maybe they didn't have the money to get an Epi Ultra and decided to do the next best thing? Anyhow sorry for the let down man!

Matt

Dang' date=' looks like the Gibson guitar company got ahold of yours to try out their

new "put holes in 'em and sell 'em" marketing scheme like the new "holy Explorer".[/quote']

LMAO!!! Indeed. Or Fender thought it was brilliant and is trying it out themselves.

Sorry about that man, that was a beautiful guitar!

Just had a thought... Is it possible that the previous owner created a hole

of those dimensions in which to HIDE a small "BRICK" of an unknown but

highly illegal substance? Gotta admit, VERY FEW folks would have the savvy

to even consider that area as a hiding place. Hole dimensions would make sense...

Hmmmmm.....

highly illegal substance? Gotta admit' date=' VERY FEW folks would have the savvy

to even consider that area as a hiding place. Hole dimensions would make sense...

Hmmmmm.....[/quote']

Man, you guys are funny... At my expense!!! =P~ D-oh!!! #-o

Well, I can think of three reasons why anyone would do this to a guitar.

1. to reduce the weight, ala Gibson's Explorer Spiderweb Edition.

2. to stash a small brick of illegal substance, as several of you pointed out.

3. or---more seriously, try to make the tone from neck PUP more hollow-bodied-like???

I don't know if it is because of the swimming pool or the PUP itself, but the neck PUP sounds kind of somewhere between typical Tele and HB on a semi-hollow.

(or put it negatively, the neck PUP was little muddy for a single coil...)

That's why I thought there was something funny about the neck PUP.

Regardless, I am returning this sucker on Monday.

And they'd better get me my money back because they have 2-day return period and Monday is within that period!!!

I'll keep you all posted...

Yeah, if it sounds funky, jump off of it like the titanic. It's true you'd have a hard time selling it down the road... However, if the shop was willing to let you keep it for half or a third of the price, then it might be worth it. I mean really, what are they going to do with it anyway?

As for why somebody might have done that, it was probably to offset the added weight of the bigsby, now that I think of it. Probably not the best way to go about it, but I guess it works.

I know what you mean about buying and selling, I am the same way. I think my recent Gibson purchase is the first guitar I have ever bought with the intention of still having it when I die, LOL. That and my fake, mainly because it would be hard to sell that one for what I have in it... Better to part it out. So I can respect the aspect of keeping resale value in mind, as long as it's not the MAIN reason to buy or not to buy. If a guitar might make me happy, I will buy it knowing full well that I will take a loss when I decide to get rid of it. I've bought and sold over 2 dozen guitars in the last 15 years, and have only broken even on two, and only turned a profit on one. The rest I lost money on... So I can understand why you'd want to take it back.

Best of luck, hope they give you a deal on something much nicer!

Jeffery, you are cracking me up!! O:)

Well, the shop that sold me that Tele isn't like that cat (well, I hope not---).

Maybe someone pulled a fast one on them when that shop was taking it in as a trade, and the shop didn't know how messed up the body was when they sold it to me.

I mean, how many music shops take a PG off to inspect when they buy in a guitar?

BUT if they knew about it but didn't tell me, then tomorrow would be the last time I ever shop there!!! [-X

I don't think I'll have any problem returning it tomorrow.

But I will keep you updated regardless.

Thanks guys...

When you take it back' date=' ask can you get Sharon Davies - to do a couple of laps in your new found errr..."Pool" :- [/quote']

Your "pool" comment made me realize that the guitar must have belonged to

Michael Phelps, Olympic Gold Medalist. Perfect for jamming and having quick

access to "things that will make you weightless in the water"...Nyuk, Nyuk!

Advantage: You can add one or two new pickups no problem

Disadvantage: You have a huge hole in your guitar

Advantage: Your pick guard covers the hole nicely

Disadvantage: If you keep it you will always know about the hole

Advantage: It's definitely one of a kind

Disadvantage: Your conscience will not let you sell it without letting the buyer know about the new Barby Pool.

If you like it keep it, if not return it. Like I said you can now add a humbucker or another single coil and have a Nashville Custom Three pickup tele!

Good Luck...

Your "pool" comment made me realize that the guitar must have belonged to

Michael Phelps' date=' Olympic Gold Medalist. Perfect for jamming and having quick

access to "things that will make you weightless in the water"...Nyuk, Nyuk![/quote']

Don't go there Dude..... Just Don't.... Your cracking me up! :-({|=

"things that will make you weightless in the water".

We have a local swimming pool near by, that was closed for "Hygiene" reasons - apparently, there were BROWN"things that will make you weightless in the water". Proving the theory that your guitar is a turd (Sorry)

The pool part is true, it was closed by a local council for exactly that reason........

I think that hole has been cut out to smuggle narcotics - as a previous poster said, the dimensions of the hole seem to agree with the 'brick' dimensions that producers of the popular narcotics seem to favour.

Please can you take it to your local police department and get it swabbed? I'd love to know what's been in that cavity..........!

If it was used for this purpose, then you've got yourself a very interesting item to research - imagine if you could trace it back to Kurt Kobain or someone like that - $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to have too much fun at your expense, KYsohn, but you now have plenty of room to install killer electronics in that cavity. I can see the insides of a tube screamer and chorus going in there and switches on the pickguard. Just thumb slap and you have some nice sounds without walking over to the pedal board...

highly illegal substance? Gotta admit' date=' VERY FEW folks would have the savvy

Hmmmmm.....[/quote']

Dogs would sniff it out in a heartbeat, they can smell dope in a barrel of gasoline.

Archived