Gibson Brands Forums

alpha or cts? does it really matter?

gibsonbass76

I like that Alphas, but I have used the CTS as well. The CTS require a little bigger hole and you may have to enlarge the holes for the pots, not a big deal though.

I prefer the Alphas that stewmac sell over the ones that GFS sells. I have used both, and the stewmacs are a higher quality, with brass bushings. GFS are not. The stewmac pots turn extremely easy, no drag or friction at all, and they are only a little more expensive, well worth the investment.

Guest icantbuyafender
I have no nor heard any complaints on CTS pots. I've heard several on Alphas. Taper' date=' build-quality, longevity is just not in the same league as CTS.[/quote']

+10

CTS just have a clean feeling that the alphas are lacking.

i tend to use 250k cts pots.... they just sound right to me.

me choosing them started from them being the only pots sold at this small local shop.They just worked well with my orange drops in two project builds that I have done. one of which uses a TBX tone pot CTS makes for fender.(fun mod)

honestly the only problem, well more of a reservation... is the slightly wider shaft that they use.

i guess once you go CTS there's no turning back to alphas on a guitar....

...or can you switch between the two regardless of the wider hole?

I use CTS exclusively. Never had one crap out on me, get scratchy, or sound bad. Plus, the tone stays more consistent than other brands when rolling the volume down. Other brands just haven't been as reliable or sounded as good. At one point I got sick of dealing with crappy pots and replaced all mine with CTS in all my guitars, and haven't had a problem with any of them since.

Someone asked where to get them - lots of places. Usually I get them from Guitar Electronics because they're local (20-30 minutes from my place) and I can go up to their shop. Sometimes I'm too busy, though, and their hours aren't the greatest. I also have ordered from Acme Guitar Works. They have Acme branded CTS pots that are supposed to be the tightest tolerances available. I ordered up their 335 wiring kit because it was about the same price as Guitar Electronics' Gibson wiring kit, only the Acme kit comes with wire and "volume kits" for the volume pots to even further reduce high end roll-off when turning down the volume.

there are two alphas.. and as mentioned one set turns like nothing.. the others have a much better feel, better build.

I always sell the good ones.. and I've never had a problem with them.

I never get the others anymore.. so avoid those suckers.

I can get you the part number if you want the good alphas.. they're less money, too.

and come in metric as mentioned.

TWANG

I'm not sure what I am going to order yet! I got my Seymour Duncan set today(hot rodded set). I go through guitarpartsresource.com for CTS pots. I know I am going to have to drill the holes to 3/8" to install them, but oh well. From what I have read CTS is just the best, and I am trying to do all top materials.

I'm not sure what I am going to order yet! I got my Seymour Duncan set today(hot rodded set). I go through guitarpartsresource.com for CTS pots. I know I am going to have to drill the holes to 3/8" to install them' date=' but oh well. From what I have read CTS is just the best, and I am trying to do all top materials.[/quote']

My time is worth something. The CTS pots cost a little more, but just a couple bucks each. So if I was rewiring a Dot (I'm actually rewiring a Sheraton tomorrow), I have to think about how much time and effort goes into something like that. Imagine if you saved yourself the ten or fifteen dollars going with cheaper pots, and then one craps out on you? Or it doesn't sound good? You'll have to do all that work over again. As limited as my time is, it's not worth the risk. I'm going to buy the best*, and I'm going to get them from a company that guarantees each one is going to be in a certain tolerance range.

* within limits. If CTS pots were $100 each and Alpha were $5, I'd probably have to go with Alpha.

My time is worth something. The CTS pots cost a little more' date=' but just a couple bucks each.

[/quote']

+1

$5 bucks for a CTS that is probably going to outlast you... doesn't seem that much now.

Archived