Gibson Brands Forums

Weird Epiphone LP Japan/Elitist

Ricochet

Can't see your pic Ricochet but I think that I've heard that some Elitists were produced with the open book headstock for the Japanese market. Could be wrong but thats what I would think anyway.

I hope I fixed the pic?

Well... Elitist LPs have their own narrow headstock and the Elitist stamp. The Epiphones intended for the Japanese market had the open-book headstock but no stamp. This has a bit of both.

Those were early Elitists, for the Japanese Market, only. Not to be exported. They later changed to the headstock we are

more familiar with, here...even for the Japanese Elitists. There was a Japanese website, for awhile, that had a LOT of

those particular "Elitist" and "Orivlle" and "Epiphone Japan" versions. All had that same "Gibson" headstock. Not sure it's still on line. Might try Googling Epiphone Japan, or Epiphone Elitist (Japan)?

CB

Those were early Elitists' date=' for the Japanese Market, only. Not to be exported. They later changed to the headstock we are more familiar with, here...even for the Japanese Elitists.[/quote']

Tnx CB. You're not talking about the Epiphone Elite line or are you? They were Epiphones, Japan-made, with open-book headstock but again no Elite/Elitist-stamp.

Gibson didn't allow the "Gibson open book" headstock on Elitist that were to be exported, here especially. I think (not

entirely sure, about this) that some earlier "European" exports may have had that Gibby headstock as well, but it might

have been before Gibson found out, they were being exported, and put a NIX on that? I've seen some that were bought

and owned by people in Europe and England, even. But, they're not very common, obviously. But all those early Elitist

and Epiphone Japan/Orville instruments are very, very good quality! And, very accurate, to the original specs, on the

models they were fashioned after. Long neck tenons, and the whole bit. You may have noticed, too...that a lot of those

early Japanese Burny, Dillon, and Tokai Gibson clones are edging ever higher on their resale value/market, simply because

they are so well made, and accurate to the Gibson models.

CB

But all those early Elitist

and Epiphone Japan/Orville instruments are very' date=' very good quality! And, very accurate, to the original specs, on the

models they were fashioned after. Long neck tenons, and the whole bit. You may have noticed, too...that a lot of those

early Japanese Burny, Dillon, and Tokai Gibson clones are edging ever higher on their resale value/market, simply because

they are so well made, and accurate to the Gibson models.

CB[/quote']

Can't believe how much prices have gone up in one year. I was contemplating buying one last year. Didn't have the green. Now I'm paying at least a $150 premium over the same model guitar. It's getting well within used Gibson range.

TRC is odd also. Scrolled print? Elitists were block print "Elitist" and Elites were block print "Gibson."

Maybe photos are of an Orville?

My 2003 Elite LP standard + honeyburst has the Elitist headstock (narrow, not open book).

Also, mine and other Elites I've seen have witch hat knobs and that is also different from the photos you posted.

Elite photos for reference.

epiphone_elite_les_paul.jpg

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby, I'm going to play on:-"

TRC is odd also. Scrolled print? Elitists were block print "Elitist" and Elites were block print "Gibson."

My 2003 Elite LP standard + honeyburst has the Elitist headstock (narrow' date=' not open book).

Also, mine and other Elites I've seen have witch hat knobs and that is also different from the photos you posted.

"[/quote']

Looks like someone simply changed the TRC to one from a USA LP Standard, and changed the knobs. I know I almost always change the amber bonnet knobs to speed knobs, myself. I just don't like the looks of the darn things...

The guitar itself looks every inch an Elitist otherwise, from what I can tell from the small photos.

Nice!

Red 333

"but it might

have been before Gibson found out"

This view gets expressed often, and I am not sure it is entirely accurate. I don't believe anything is happening / has happened

(in recent times, at least) in Japan without the Gibson corporation's prior approval. Therefore, it is not a case of Gibson having

"found out", but rather maker a prior decision not to produce the open book headstocks for the US market...

"but it might

have been before Gibson found out"

This view gets expressed often' date=' and I am not sure it is entirely accurate. I don't believe anything is happening / has happened

(in recent times, at least) in Japan without the Gibson corporation's prior approval. Therefore, it is not a case of Gibson having

"found out", but rather maker a prior decision not to produce the open book headstocks for the US market...[/quote']

Yeah, that's why I mentioned prior to that statement, that I wasn't sure it about it (which you didn't

bother using). But, I do think you're probably right. And, of course, the "European" ones could have been

purchased by some dealer, from Japan, and sold in Europe, with that headstock. Who knows? Unless/Until

Epi-1 or some other Epiphone/Gibson rep chimes in, to let us KNOW what's going on, with these type things,

we have only our suppositions, and speculations....accurate, or otherwise. ;>)

CB

Does it have a Elite stamp?

Forgot to get back to you on this. Yes, the back of the head has an Elite stamp. It looks pretty much like the Elitist stamp, but says Elite instead.

The head is not as huge as the typical Epiphone head. It has a hump in the top center.

Ricochet' date=' was there any way to make out the sn# from the original source of the photo?

mgm[/quote']

There were some other pics, but I didn't bother since it was like $1200 bucks...

Forgot to get back to you on this. Yes' date=' the back of the head has an Elite stamp. It looks pretty much like the Elitist stamp, but says Elite instead.

The head is not as huge as the typical Epiphone head. It has a hump in the top center.[/quote']

Tnx Jeffery!

My 2003 Elite LP standard + honeyburst has the Elitist headstock (narrow' date=' not open book).

[img']http://www.12fret.com/new/epiphone_elite_les_paul.jpg[/img]

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby, I'm going to play on:-"

This is similar to my Elitist and Elite Byrdland heads.

Archived