Gibson Brands Forums

Eastwood guitars?

I like the looks of that one, too and they make a lefty version...bravo! Here's what others have said at Harmony Central:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Eastwood+Guitars/Stormbird/10/1

I think it would be a nice player. Over time, I'd upgrade it (quality wiring harness and bone or tusq nut) and maybe some GFS pickups as they get a lot of good reviews here and aren't really expensive.

I think JS is right, plus I've seen used Eastwood guitars on Craigslisp here on the east coarst for as low as $250, but usually more like between $500 and $600 asking. I hate to say it but a MIM Fender will hold its value much better in the short and long run. You have to really like the Eastwood's retro styling to want one, but everybody wants a Fender. Well, almost everybody.

if your not into it holding its value but rather how it plays they are not bad at all.. Heard a guy playing a H44std Stratotone.. he had it sounding nice with no upgrades... I have not seen many Eastwoods used around Chicago, seems like guys around here are holding onto them..however, fender's are all over craigslist

I think you would be happier with a Mexican-made Fender Jaguar. Very hard to tell them from the Corona' date=' CA guitars. And the short scale makes them very playable.[/quote']

Jeff's right there. I owned both a MIM Telecaster and Stratocaster, and they played/sounded as good as the American

made ones that I had/played. They may not hold their value as much as the American made ones, but if you're looking

for sound/playability you can't beat the price of the MIM Standards.

Just wanted everyones general opinion on these guitars i realy like the storm bird model

They feel and sound like cheap guitars. There's nothing that sets them apart from other oriental guitars except they have funky looks inspired by Italian glam-rock.

They're made with basswood and I've found they have a very empty, flavourless sound. They're also overpriced. The P90s that some of them come with are junk pickups that sound nothing like P90s.

Eastwoods aren't horrible guitars. There's just nothing impressive about them except the look, and I don't like the look so I'll never buy one.

Looking on the specs on the stormbird' date=' I didn't realize Eastwood had started to make Gibson copies.

It's made out of basswood so it will sound nothing like a Gibson or Epiphone. If you want a Gibson sound, I think you'll be very disappointed with this guitar.[/quote']

You do realize that some Music Man (USA) models are basswood, right? I think there's a lot of prejudice against this wood because it's not what the big two use. I also don't believe that the wood species affects tone nearly so much as we're led to believe. I don't buy the notion that a basswood (ie Asian built) guitar "won't sound the same" as a Febson due to the wood.

But that's just me.

I have a Delta 6:

EastwoodDelta_6.jpg

It's made out of "maple" wood and it plays and sounds great.

IMHO, the build quality and finish is comparable to my Epi Dot. The hardware and electronics are so-so, and could benefit from upgrading, much like an Epiphone. But it's working fine right now.

Archived