Gibson Brands Forums

serial number oddity?

clarkuss

I've now seen two Epiphone Dots with a serial number that begins R09C. I thought this meant Peerless 2009 March. But this can't be right because the people selling them have had these guitars for a couple of years and Peerless don't make dots any more and even if they did they wouldn't be available to buy in the U.K this month. One of them was bought in september 2005.

any ideas?

15d6_1.JPG

My peerless dot also has a weird serial - R012C2391. Its definitely legit though, but doesnt fit any of the coding for regualr epis as it has too many figures. Maybe peerless just like to make up their own rules occasionally!

My peerless dot also has a weird serial - R012C2391. Its definitely legit though' date=' but doesnt fit any of the coding for regualr epis as it has too many figures. Maybe peerless just like to make up their own rules occasionally!

[/quote']

Thats a very special guitar. It won't be built for another 3 years. :(

I'd hold on to it just to see what happens in March of 2012.

Thats a very special guitar. It won't be built for another 3 years. :(

I'd hold on to it just to see what happens in March of 2012.

Wouldn't the serial # R012C2391 indicate the year 2001? Feb.?

The guitar dater project isnt reliable - why dont epiphone have their own section for serials? I know it doesnt actually matter when my dot was made' date=' but out of curiosity, Id like to know for sure! [/quote']

You are correct, it's a very helpful site but if certain variables aren't program in the search engine it will read it like a regular sn#. It's probaly going to take a call to Gibson/Epi. to find out what the relivance of the C in the sn# is.

mgm

You are correct' date=' it's a very helpful site but if certain variables aren't program in the search engine it will read it like a regular sn#. It's probaly going to take a call to Gibson/Epi. to find out what the relivance of the C in the sn# is.

mgm[/quote']

C = March

Another code used on some current Epiphone models

FYYMRRRR

F= Factory code

YY=Year of manufacture

M= This will be a letter code corresponding to the month (A=January, B=February, etc...)

RRRR= ranking number

Example - R03D0263 was issued in April 2003.

Hence that bad joke I made regarding 012 as being built in 2012. That guitar is just a bit ahead of its time.

What we need to find out is the relevence of the 012. I'm figuring the guitar is a 2001 so that would leave the 2, for what I have no clue????

The guitar dater project isnt reliable - why dont epiphone have their own section for serials? I know it doesnt actually matter when my dot was made' date=' but out of curiosity, Id like to know for sure! [/quote']

Epiphone has an area on their web site where you can decifer the serial number.

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Peerless Plant, Korea

March 2009

Production Number: 1807

Peerless Korea Co., Ltd.

Peerless Korea Co., Ltd. is a Korean-Japanese joint venture company headquartered in South Korea and has been in the guitar-manufacturing industry since 1970. With the core expertise in guitar manufacturing initiated from Japan, Peerless has provided 2.9 million pieces of guitars in the worldwide market so far. Peerless had once manufactured 30,000 pieces of guitars per month in the past in order to meet the order quantity, however have gradually changed their focus from quantity quality. With this in mind they have cut down their manufacturing capacity to 2,000 pieces per month just to ensure the high quality of our products. Peerless produces guitars via OEM for brands such as Epiphone by Gibson, Alvarez, Hoyer and Gretsch by Fender. Note: While not explicitly stated it is believed that Peerless is part owned by Aria of Japan.

Unfortunately the Guitar Dater Project won't be any help to us on this one. What we know, the "R" is the plant of origin Peerless, the 09 possibly the month of production and the 1807 more than likely the production #. The wildcard in these sn#'s is the mysterious "C" and I think in the end we will find out that it hold some sort of relivance as to the sn#.

mgm

I think C is most likely to be the month though because Peerless have always used letters for the month

Could be... very confusing. If you guy don't mind me using your sn#'s I'll give Gibson Epi a call tomorrow and see what I can find out?

mgm

Could be... very confusing. If you guy don't mind me using your sn#'s I'll give Gibson Epi a call tomorrow and see what I can find out?

mgm

Dont mind at all - in fact, thatd be amazing of you!

I like your thinking but it has a made in Korea sticker on it. I'm 90% sure that this is a Peerless made guitar in March, but of which year I have no idea. Maybe it was a mistake on the day and that day's batch of guitars went out with the wrong year. Maybe it was meant to be 06 but went out as 09?

But then I saw someone who was selling a guitar bought in september 2005 and it had the serial number

RO9C1370.

if it was really an O and not a zero that would make things a bit more complicated...

Sorry it took me awhle to get around to this. I talked to a gentleman named Bob at Gibson cust. svc., I gave him both of the sn#'s that have been posted within this thread and he couldn't pull them up on Gibson's system. He asked me if the owners of these particular guitars could email pictures of the ( photos need to be less than 2mb each!) he asked for pictures of the back of the headstock full length photos of the front and back, Bob said if they could get the pics that they would be happy to research this for us. So I'll leave it up to you guys that have these if you want to send the pics to Gibson. If you decide to send them please keep us up to date on the outcome and also if there is anything else that I can do to help plmk.

mgm

Archived