Gibson Brands Forums

Recording my guitar??

mrjones200x

I know this isnt the right section on this forum but hopefully some people with good advice see it before its moved elsewhere (prob the lounge) and wanna say sorry to the mods for giving them work to do. 8-[

Anyhow, Im interested in recording my playing, what im looking for is something i can a record a rhythm track then record a solo too. I want to be able to play the rhythm track at the same time obviously. Then id like to be able to put them together. Also something with drum samples and drum tracks would be great.

I'd rather it wasnt all computer based as i dont like them and my gear is in a diff place to my comp.

Ive been looking at digital recorders such as

Digital 8 track recorder such as tascam DP02CF or tascam DP004 ?

Any advice would be great. Dont want it to be really complicated but wanna start laying down some tracks and try to build them into songs so being able to play different parts together and slow them down or speed them up would be good.

Hope this all makes sense

Thanks

Also just seen the boss BR-600

I wouldn't bugger around with porta-studios or recorders myself. Go down the USB interface route instead. The Line 6 Pod Studio UX2 would be a good (and cheap) way to start:

588276.jpg

We actually had a thread on this very topic quite recently. You may find some useful info there:

http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=9099

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "too much computer", mrjones. Too complicated or more than your present CPU can handle?

If its complicated that you're worried about, let me assure you that the UX2 is a snap to install and use. The results are amazing, and it makes a terrific practice device with headphones. Hell, I hardly ever turn my amp on anymore!

The BR 500 is very cool, but roughly twice the price! Also, it doesn't have the ability to add additional amp and tone models the way the Line 6 product has. One more thing ... if you haven't priced compact flash memory cards lately, check them out. They haven't gotten cheap the way SD cards have ... and they max out at 1GB. Going the other rout, you're only limitation is your HD size! On the plus side, the BR 600 has the drum machine. I use a keyboard or my electronic drums, so that was not a plus for me.

Either one would be a good solution ... have fun making your decision ... and Happy Recording!

Jim

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "too much computer"' date=' mrjones. Too complicated or more than your present CPU can handle?

If its complicated that you're worried about, let me assure you that the UX2 is a snap to install and use. The results are amazing, and it makes a terrific practice device with headphones. Hell, I hardly ever turn my amp on anymore!

The BR 500 is very cool, but roughly twice the price! Also, it doesn't have the ability to add additional amp and tone models the way the Line 6 product has. One more thing ... if you haven't priced compact flash memory cards lately, check them out. They haven't gotten cheap the way SD cards have ... and they max out at 1GB. Going the other rout, you're only limitation is your HD size! On the plus side, the BR 600 has the drum machine. I use a keyboard or my electronic drums, so that was not a plus for me.

Either one would be a good solution ... have fun making your decision ... and Happy Recording!

Jim[/quote']

This is great advice.

I just want to add one thing..

that computer recording with programs like Pro-Tools will allow you many more editing features than any stand alone digital recorder. There is nothing better than being able to correct time, pitch, edit , copy/paste, and so on. I've had several sections of songs that because of a feature called 'auto crossfade' I can virtually take any piece/section of a song and seamlessly lengthen it or edit out something and you'd never know it. Not a click is heard and the graph onscreen that you manipulate is all under your control. The graph is very much the entire sound, and everything can be broadened in the sound section by bringing up the 'object editor' which gives EQ, Compression, Stereo balance/Reverb, echo, and so much more. Guitar lead a tad out of tune? Try the pitch correction first before re-recording. (It has actually Worked!!!)

The only benefit I get from my old Tascam 424 MK III is its use from recording drums. With 4 splitters we can mic up the whole thing and still have 2 auxillary's for overhead mics. The in/out line from the back of the deck to the PC makes laying them down a breeze, then the 64 track digital computer soft takes over.

Eventually this will all be handled by a Firepod Studio interface, but I haven't saved the $699 needed for that, and the band ain't forking it up...so we still use the 424 for drums only.

And the Toneport UX2 handled everything (individually) we needed to record Bass, Guitar, and Vocals.

(the Ableton Live Lite 4 is limited so don't expect much out of it...you'll need a full featured program)

I use a Fostex MK8 MKII, with a AKG mic. You can record up to 8 tracks, it has a headphone jack so you can listen as you add tracks. No drums. You can then later download to a computer and add drums and other effects. The unit also uses a compact flash card. Its a simple setup, easy to use, doesn't take up to much space, and you don't need computer.

Any advice would be great. Dont want it to be really complicated but wanna start laying down some tracks and try to build them into songs so being able to play different parts together and slow them down or speed them up would be good.

I use a Line 6 Tone Port UX2' date=' Tascam DP02 and a Zoom MRS-8. The Line 6 into the computer is far more versatile (I use Cakewalk Sonar software), the Zoom is nice because it has a built in drum machine and runs on batteries. It's portability makes it great for

I just got a Tascam DP02 in December, haven't done much with it but so far so good. I got the one with the CD burner rather than the Compact Flash. Not as versatile as computer based recording, but sometimes you just want to lay down some tracks. I recorded this on it.

I also have a Zoom MRS-8, it runs on batteries and has a built in drum machine. Bring it with you wherever you go.

Get one! I bought a TASCAM about a month or so ago (the CF) and we are having so much fun with it. It is incredibly easy to use and the results are fantastic. I am a terrible player (but I have the best gear)' date=' and my TASCAM makes any track I lay down sound A-OK.

Here's an example of my poor playing on a TASCAM track. I chose a Rickenbacker 12-string playing chords because that is a tough sound to get right. I think the TASCAM did a fine job....and this track hasn't been even EQ'd yet:

rictrack.wav - 1.16MB

(zshare stinks. If the track stalls just slide the slider back to the beginning and let it go again.)

Here's another TASCAM example -- a weird one, but it shows you just how capable the TASCAM is. I took the sound effects from the Beatles "Revolution 9" and remixed them myself to make the song better and shorter. Don't listen to the song, obviously, rather listen to the quality of the the TASCAM in use:

_9-MASfadeout.wav - 8.73MB

Bottom line is the TASCAM is a tool that works. It is fun and anything you think up, you can do. I download drum tracks from my favorite songs onto the TASCAM and layer my guitars over them. The USB port allows you so much freedom to do anything you want. Buy a TASCAM DP and watch your fun begin.

I use the Tascam-US428 (paid $100 used). I use the sonar8 studio and it works pretty darn well and it's easy to use. The program ran me $270.

What happens if you purchase something thats very limited, you'll wish you invested in something that had more features later.

The learning curve on my set-up to get pretty proficient is about a month.

well ux2 is a great option for the money, great quality recording guitars and bass... you can buy a digidesign's mbox or a m-audio with pro tools m powered...but thinking in your needs and money the ux2 would work just fine for you

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "too much computer"' date=' mrjones. Too complicated or more than your present CPU can handle?[/quote']

Dont like sitting at the computer, it bores me and any computer package bores me. Use it for research not for working. And thats a 28 year old talking ha!! I'd rather have my own mixing type desk away from the computer which i can hook up if i wanna sent the tracks to my computer at a later stage.

If its complicated that you're worried about' date=' let me assure you that the UX2 is a snap to install and use. The results are amazing, and it makes a terrific practice device with headphones. Hell, I hardly ever turn my amp on anymore!

[/quote']

I want to be able to play through my amp with my settings using my pedals because this s my sound.

The BR 500 is very cool' date=' but roughly twice the price! Also, it doesn't have the ability to add additional amp and tone models the way the Line 6 product has. One more thing ... if you haven't priced compact flash memory cards lately, check them out. They haven't gotten cheap the way SD cards have ... and they max out at 1GB. Going the other rout, you're only limitation is your HD size! On the plus side, the BR 600 has the drum machine. I use a keyboard or my electronic drums, so that was not a plus for me.

[/quote']

Twice the price doesnt bother me either as id rather something i can use at home and out and about that im happy with. Not knockng the ux2 but it doesnt sound like my thing. The drum machine is very important to me as i'll need this to lay the foundation of my tracks. I already have the correct flash cards with me so thats not a prob any way.

I think im heading more with a 8 track standalone piece of equipment if that helps. Up to about £250

Cheers so far for your input

Archived