Gibson Brands Forums

are there fake hollowbodies out there?

Berserker

I'm currently on the lookout for a second hand Dot or Sheraton but I'm wondering whether you guys are aware of many/any fakes out there. Seems to me that they'd be more complicated to produce than an LP, which raises the question, would they bother, but then I'm not a dodgy, fake guitar seller.

Advice appreciated so I know how careful to be.

Seems to me that they'd be more complicated to produce than an LP' date=' which raises the question, would they bother ...............

[/quote'] I have no idea .... haven't really heard of any, and would imagine for the reason you cited. I wants me a Wildkat, some day, one day !!!

Not so complicated:

http://www.bazaarofchina.com/product_info.php?cPath=20_23&products_id=5243&osCsid=0e15c16c6a022f1f9c0af2d7ff6e34a6

If you're interested in a Dot' date=' why not buy a "Gibson" ES-335?

http://www.bazaarofchina.com/product_info.php?cPath=20_150&products_id=10507&osCsid=0e15c16c6a022f1f9c0af2d7ff6e34a6[/quote']

have you ever seen any of these guitars?

i know its stock photos but for 400 bucks and some upgrades it may be worth it.

I'm currently on the lookout for a second hand Dot or Sheraton but I'm wondering whether you guys are aware of many/any fakes out there.

Advice appreciated so I know how careful to be.

Always BUYER BEWARE. And as to Epiphone only -- not Gibson then....

...my opinion on "fake" Epiphones is a sore spot to some on the forum but here it is again -- b/c you asked.

Only a handful of "genuine fake" Epiphones exist. By genuine fake I mean something produced outside the walls of an Epiphone factory. Everything else rolled off the Epiphone assembly line. The choices then are two:

1. sold by an authorized dealer

2. are/were not sold through an authorized dealer

In the second group are guitars that were rejected by QC and sold to recyclers (but they don't recycle they sell to hucksters and Epi knows it) or guitars that take a midnight walk out the back door. In fact' date=' I suspect Epi keeps the back door ajar just so it can lower its own QC standards, cry foul when convenient and leave everyone in a fuss over "is it real, or is it fake." There have been no less than a dozen LP Customs posted here and b/c that damned headstock inlay is so skewed to begin with on a Custom most everyone cries "fake"..... but then someone will put up a Sweetwater (actual guitar photo) Epi Custom that is just as bad or worse than the suspected fake. Go figure.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Archived