Gibson Brands Forums

Have any of you ever shimmed a neck?

Dylan1281734152

I received an ea-250 as a gift about 20 years ago. It's never been in proper playing condition, and I think that shimming the neck would be a good first step.

Clearly, I'm in no hurry to perform the task. I'm just curious about the procedure. I've always considered my ea-250 to be a project guitar (at best). This guitar has been at rest for a long time. Based on my research of the instrument, it's clear that some feel that is should remain that way.

Regardless, I'm interested in any thoughts you might have on the subject.

Dylan

The thing about any shim is that it should be air gap free...

air kills tone..

so it's important to try to use a harder wood.. and to angle it along the entire length of the pocket.

You don't need glue.. just fine accurate shaping and sanding.

it should cover the neck pocket.

You can change your neck tilt quite nicely, and it wont hurt your sound one bit.

Remember this.. you'll need about ten times less thickness than you think.

The neck responds very dramatically to very thin material.

Plan on redoing it.

TWANG

It's beyond the action being too high. The neck angle is too far out of whack for me. I took the neck off, and a matchbook cover fell out. Lord knows how long that thing was in there. Somebody must have been thinking the same thing I was thinking. However, the correction the matchbook cover made (if any), was not enough for my tastes.

Dylan

Thanks Twang. All of that makes perfect sense to me.

Can you offer any step-by-step procedures as to how to make a proper shim? Can you point me in the direction of any literature on the topic? I'd love to see some pictures of shims. I just don't know where to look.

Again, I thank you for your response. This is not the first time you've come to my aid. You rock.

Dylan

You could also use a piece of window screen, or two, perferably the thinner kind.

Cut the screen as the same shape as the neck pocket, then bolt the neck back on. That's the best way to get the most neck/body contact. You could also use a piece of cardboard, but IMHO, the pieces of window screen work A LOT better.

Dylan - my 2cents worth here - use cooking foil.

Here's the way it goes.....

Aluminum (aluminium to us Brits) foil is soft, malleable and comes in a convenient super-thin form. It pushes into the rough wood surfaces in the neck pocket really well and thus avoids air-gaps and stuff. Just cut a strip the width of the neck pocket and then cut lengths to suit - and if you need to tilt, just cut tiny stair-case lengths (say the neck-pocket is 7cm long - cut 1cm, 2cm, 3cm, 4cm, 5cm, 6cm lengths and put them in (for example) butted up against the bridge-end of the pocket to tip the neck back (as in lowering the action). Re-assemble and check - then repeat until the angle and set is good. Its a little tedious, but allows [1] a very accurate neck-set and [2] a really tight fitting joint.

I have done this to several guitars and it has held up for many years in a number of cases.

I use sandpaper' date=' it stops any movement.[/quote']

My Squier came from the factory with a piece of plastic-back sandpaper shoved in there. When I had to replace the 2 broken neck screws I noticed it...'course I suppose Guitar Center could have put it in there too. I did the old matchbook thing to an Ampeg Super Stud I had years ago, if memory serves, worked quite well, did it on a friends advice, I didn't know what "relief" was back in 1976, 'til he told me about the Ampegs lack of it.

In both my G-310 and my EBM, they had what looked like plastic banding being used for neck shims..."factory installed".

I like to use Flexographic doctor blade peices as shims. They are strips of metal about 3 or 4 mils thick that are used for scraping ink, and can be cut with a pair of scissors. Sure, they leave air gaps, but so did the plastic pieces that Epi installed originally...so no biggie to me.

You'll find anything in there from matchbook covers to all the things mentioned..

I say again.. wood.. no holes except where the neck screws go through.

worth doing right!

I can cut you a shim if you're not in a big hurry.. are you in the usa?

I'd just mail it in an envelope if you are.

need neck pocket dimensions..and enough time to get my other guys stuff done.. I'm running behind!

TWANG

Hi Dylan. I've shimmed the neck on my Dano 12 string with a chopped up credit card. The neck angle on the guitar was absurd when I received the guitar and no amount of truss rod adjustment was going to correct the condition. Made the choice of credit card plastic as it wouldn't compress when the neck screws were tightened down.

All things considered, I'd recommend you take Twang up on his most generous offer. If you have the dimensions of the neck pocket, and an estimate regarding the maximum thickness you need, I'll bet he can gen up a great shim that you could sand down to the exact size you need. A nice hardwood would be most excellent!

Archived