Gibson Brands Forums

Pleasant surprise when removing nut today...

gamesandy135

Hey all,

so I was removing the nut on my Les Paul Custom Natural (posted previously) today in preparation for an Earvana one.

Whilst edging a scalpel around the nut and applying a bit of pressure, the nut came out, but split in half.

Imagine my surprise to find out that it isn't a plastic nut, but a bone nut!

Just thought I'd let people know, as everyone always says (myself included) the Epi use plastic on all their guitars besides an Elitist but now I know it's not true.

As an aside, what sort of adhesive should I use for applying the new nut?

Guest icantbuyafender

do not use wood glue!!!!!!

use a small dab of elmer's white glue!!!!!! a thin line on the nut slot is more than enough.

this is because down the line you may have to replace the earvana if by chance it gets chipped.

your strings will provide adequate pressure to keep her down in the slot good and tight while the glue dries.

(i really wanted to make a joke about the topic's wording, cause i doubt id be too pleased if one of my boys got removed :-s

pardon my momentary lapse in maturity

wood glue like titebond adheres stronger than the wood itself.

you glue wood together with that and it will break next to the glue joint, not at it.

icantbuyfender is correct.

use elmers.. it's strong enough to hold.. and yet when you break it free doesn't rip out the wood.

just a dot is all it takes, too.

good glue has it's uses.. so does cheap glue!

depends on the job you want it to do.

use little and get the nut tight.. smear it real real thin..

no air gaps is the name of the game.. air kills tone.

TWANG

Guest icantbuyafender

Why not' date=' if you don't mind me asking?[/quote']

its meant for repair or setting work, its a bit excessive for this application

its stronger, so if you need to change out the nut later on down the line due to any accidents or mishaps, the elmers white glue will be easier on the removal process. (youll notice on the stock nut that there really isnt any special sort of epoxy or wood glue, its just regular all purpose white glue)

do not use wood glue!!!!!!

use a small dab of elmer's white glue!!!!!! a thin line on the nut slot is more than enough.

this is because down the line you may have to replace the earvana if by chance it gets chipped.

your strings will provide adequate pressure to keep her down in the slot good and tight while the glue dries.

(i really wanted to make a joke about the topic's wording' date=' cause i doubt id be too pleased if one of my boys got removed :-

pardon my momentary lapse in maturity[/quote']

You're an optimist, so I'm sure you'd consider your scrotum to be half-full.

Guest icantbuyafender

You're an optimist' date=' so I'm sure you'd consider your scrotum to be half-full.[/quote']

:)

haha

touché, Mr. Smith.

Archived