Gibson Brands Forums

re: 12 string

collin

Ok, I was wondering how do you tune the 12 string neck on the G 1275. Dont say like a regular 12 string because frankly i dont know that either, so detailed info plz. pics of g-1275 welcome, but more importantly the tuning issue, thanks

Ok' date=' I was wondering how do you tune the 12 string neck on the G 1275. Dont say like a regular 12 string because frankly i dont know that either, so detailed info plz. pics of g-1275 welcome, but more importantly the tuning issue, thanks[/quote']

String 1,3,5,7,9,11th strings are just like a standard 6 string E/B/G/D/A/E

The 2nd string is E, same as the 1st

The 4th string is B, same as the 2nd

The 6th string is G, one octave higher than the normal G String

The 8th string is D, one octave higher than the normal D String

The 10th string is A, one octave higher than the normal A String

The 12th string is E, one octave higher than the normal E String

I had a "regular 12-strings" many moons ago and used to tune it a step lower, to D, to decrease the stress on the flat-top. This may not be as much of a factor with a solidbody.

It might also be interesting to tune the 12-string neck to an open chord and play along with yourself on the 6-string neck.

Just flappin' ma gums... Cheers.

Ok' date=' I was wondering how do you tune the 12 string neck on the G 1275. Dont say like a regular 12 string because frankly i dont know that either, so detailed info plz. pics of g-1275 welcome, but more importantly the tuning issue, thanks[/quote']

I used the shiny, little knobs up at the skinny end of the guitar.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

E' date=' A and D are tuned an octave apart

G, B and high E are tuned indentically

Some one else will have to supply the pics ... I ain't got one!

Jim[/quote']

That high G string must be awfully floppy using that method, Jim.

In a nutshell, you tune the fundamentals (the thicker strings) as you would any ordinary six string. The octaves (the thinner strings) on the E, A, D and G are tuned to match the tone of their partner played at the twelfth fret i.e. one full octave higher (easiest to pluck a harmonic). The B and the E are tuned to match their partners i.e. in unison.

I have had a few Ovation USA 12 Strings over the years. Currently I have a Legacy LX that is a really nice guitar. Of course they are tuned in octaves for EADG and unison for the BE strings. Lightest string on top. However, I have always felt a twelve string sounds a little better when it is not *Perfectly* in tune. It adds something to the chorusing sound. I am not talking way out, just slightly off perfect. But to each their own.

I have never tried to tune any to anything other than Concert pitch, but an open chord would be interesting. Maybe I will try that some day.

Thank you,

Archived