Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD!

lpfan

Man I have been really lucky lately. I got my goldtop last friday and the vintage sg 400 a couple weeks before that. And on Tuesday I traded my acoustic/electric for this Epi LP special with HOT ROD FLAMES! I want to put a 490R and 498T set of pickups in it and a Bigsby too. Then it will be cool!

epiflame1.jpg

I'd like to get some 57' classics but they are EXPENSIVE. If I can find em cheap enough then I might do it. And I was wrong about the SN, there is no sticker, its stamped on the neck plate. I think this guitar is an 03' model.

Looks cool. Why not go for some GFS pickups? They're inexpensive and would surely fo the job in a guitar such as the Special. Then tune it to Open D and play some slide on that bad boy!

By the way mate, how are you liking your Frontman 25R?

RotcanX - I know you like the '57 Classics and the Burstbuckers, (As do I), is there something

in particular; or could you expand upon a bit, why the 490r/498t combination doesn't do it for

you? Do you not know of some place or style that they might be the hot ticket? Just curious...

Wedgie

i'd have a 490r and 498t on a guitar for trial. but i have to say 57 classics are more my thing as they are both vintage wound and both alnico 2. the 490r is fine, i have one. but i don't like alnico 5 as much, it's also more modern wound 13k. an alnico 2 13k would be interesting... gfs do the alnico 2 set:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsciial2viw2.html

Thanks guys.

Swoop - I love my little frontman 25r. I just wish it was bigger. But it does the job for me for right now. I probably will put GFS pickups in it due to cost issues. I have the 490/498 pickup combo in my Gibby and it sounds good. If I run across a great deal on burstbuckers or classics I might put them in the gibby. Then I would have a set of chrome 490/498's to put in the epi lp special.

No Jim, no dice for now. I just want a lot of chrome on it. It kinda goes with the hot rod flames theme. I thought that chrome pickups and a bigsby would really set it "on fire". I was thinking about chrome knobs too.

Archived