Gibson Brands Forums

Goofy Les Paul Re-build ... not Epi

Kong

I thought I would share a goofy project that I put together over the past week. My girlfriend is a member of a site called Freecycle. It's like craigslist but the items are free. Anyway she yells to me the other night that a member has placed guitars and an amp by the curb in the next town. It's like 9:30 at night and I figure what the hell lets take a ride. There was a pretty nice amp with a cover. It was a carlsbro lead 90 from the late 70s or early 80s and I grabbed it. There was also a Memphis Les Paul copy. Both the amp and guitar looked pretty grimy but I grabbed them anyway.

I took the amp home and took the cover off, cleaned the pots and it actually works pretty well. I will categorize it as a great find.

The guitar is another story. Apparently there were 2 types of Memphis Les Paul. One with a set neck that was decent and the other with a bolt on that may be the worst guitar ever made. Of course I have the crap one. I thought the body and neck were okay and it was black with binding that had yellowed nicely. Body is plywood, but with nice weight.

I ripped it apart and tossed the tuning machines, and electronics. The pickups were a joke, single coils with humbucker covers =D> . I had a couple of humbuckers in the parts bin from guitars that I had that were flood damaged. I rewired it and put in the pickups and new strings. I also did a nice cleanup job with windex, furniture polish, car wax and more furniture polish. I put on strat style tuners, but I made them work. I put it all together and it actually plays pretty decent. Definitely not bad for a free guitar!

Check out the pics of the amp and guitar:

003-5.jpg

004-6.jpg

006-4.jpg

007-4.jpg

011-2.jpg

009-3.jpg

telecaster005-1.jpg

telecaster006-1.jpg

That looks like a pretty good deal for the price you paid!

How does the thing sound?

How do your better guitars sound with the amp?

The guitar sounds pretty good actually. The tuners look a little funny since they're offset. It sounds even better through my Line6.

The amp is a little temperamental. I think they were both sitting in a garage for 20+ years. I cleaned the pots and there is a spring reverb that does not seem to work. I may change out the reverb tank, I've seen them on Amazon for $20 which might be worth a shot. The other controls seem to work well, but the amp unexpectedly can get very loud. I'm trying to get a schematic to see if there is a bad solder joint somewhere. I'll try and post a vid of the guitar and amp this weekend so you can see/hear it.

I AM familiar with "FreeCycle" - never heard of gits and Amp being given

away before - I'd be all over that, too! Well, you have SCORED! Bolt-on

necks can be tweaked with shims if needed, and what you have is a project

and free guitar just dropped in your lap! Lucky, lucky.... GREAT Condition it

seems.... DANG!

Here's the link to Harmony Centrals reviews for your guitar:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Memphis/Les+Paul+Copy/10/1

Plywood, Schmywood - I just rebuilt a 70's era Hondo II made of plywood

sheets glued together, decent ending, weighs a ton. Completely stripped

down to bare wood then did the whole repaint thing and all new electronics

and hardware...

100_0338.jpg

I AM familiar with "FreeCycle" - never heard of gits and Amp being given

away before - I'd be all over that' date=' too! Well, you have SCORED! Bolt-on

necks can be tweaked with shims if needed, and what you have is a project

and free guitar just dropped in your lap! Lucky, lucky.... GREAT Condition it

seems.... DANG!

Here's the link to Harmony Centrals reviews for your guitar:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Memphis/Les+Paul+Copy/10/1

Plywood, Schmywood - I just rebuilt a 70's era Hondo II made of plywood

sheets glued together, decent ending, weighs a ton. Completely stripped

down to bare wood then did the whole repaint thing and all new electronics

and hardware...

[img']http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt26/Animalfarm1984/100_0338.jpg[/img]

Animalfarm,

That thing looks awesome, nice job on the finish!

Archived