Gibson Brands Forums

Large Pickguard on G-400 SG

Swoop

FWIW' date=' I like the small pickguard better than the large one as I'd rather see more wood than plastic. You didn't ask, I know.

:- [/quote']

There might be a little "mojo" involved. I had a bandmate who swore that the pick up being mounted to the pick guard caused it to pick up the string vibrations a little differently, and though he preferred the look of the small pick guard (as do I), he preferred the sound of the full face. I could never personally tell the difference (but I'm partial to LPs anyway).

To each, their own, as they say...

Okay' date=' so it [b']is[/b] more the "look" you're going for. Excuse me for making the correct observation, which incidentally was the basis for my statement.

Now, if we're both done hosing the forum with testosterone...

Since I now understand you're not looking to re-route pick up cavities and such, just keep in mind that the overall appearance may be a little "off" from what you're expecting (if you've ever looked at an LP style guitar that has the neck pick up mounted 1/4 inch from the neck instead of flush with the end of it, you'll know what I mean). Not bad, just different from what you expected to see.

If you like the look, then that's all that really matters.

Only thing that might make me think twice is that if you decided later that you wanted to go back to the smaller pick guard arrangement, you'd have several holes to fill and color match.

Not difficult, just time consuming...

Yes, changing the pickguard to get a different look is pretty much the point of the exercise. You assumed that I was going to be routing and changing pickup spacing, which is nonsensical when the guitar works perfectly fine as is.

I really don't think it's going to look as strange as you seem to think. A Gibson SG has the neck pickup mounted well away from the end of the neck.

Gibson%20Sg%20standard%20cherry%201992%20010.jpg

And, shock horror, this is a G-400 with the large pickguard. Whaddya know, it too has the neck pickup mounted well away from the neck. Looks pretty bloody good to me.

419612.jpg

Oh, and bluelake, I like both pickguards, and my reasoning for sticking with the small one for so long was the same, I'd rather see more wood than plastic. But I've since grown tired of the small pickguard, and want something a bit different, hence the change.

Small update for those interested. I printed out the Terrapin template on some thick card, cut it out, and it fits damn near perfect. Perhaps a tad overside actually, just above the neck pickup, but if need be I can sand that edge down slightly to get it to fit just right. Just emailed a local luthier to get a price to make one, should be cheaper and faster than getting one from Terrapin, and he does beautiful work.

Here's a couple of shoddy pictures of my template, and the old pickguard on it for comparison. The old one follows the shape of the cutaway more closely, but the new one follows the shape of the body better. The lower edge of the pickguard comes quite close to the switch bezel though, but still clears it plenty (doesn't look like it in the pics, but I didn't align it very well). And most Gibsons I have seen are like this anyway. I think it's going to look great.

Pics. Looks a bit funky because the template is white, but you get the idea.

DSC00251.jpg

DSC00252.jpg

My word, Swoop, have you considered doing an antique white pickguard for it? In the image I have of it in my mind it looks brilliant on your SG :-({|=

Otherwise yeah man, think that's gonna look great, and maybe it's me but doesn't it conflict with the switch washer just a teensy bit?

I've been thinking of other colours besides black, but I don't think any of them will look as good. It does look like it fouls with the switch washer in the pics, but when it's properly aligned and everything, it doesn't and, as I said, I can sand just a tad off the top edge where it meets the neck if need be, just for a little bit more tolerance and clearance.

I've thought about losing the washer. I did see a pic of an SG without it and it looked quite good, but there's enough clearance, so it'll stay.

Small update for those interested. I printed out the Terrapin template on some thick card' date=' cut it out, and it fits damn near perfect. Perhaps a tad overside actually, just above the neck pickup, but if need be I can sand that edge down slightly to get it to fit just right. Just emailed a local luthier to get a price to make one, should be cheaper and faster than getting one from Terrapin, and he does beautiful work.

Here's a couple of shoddy pictures of my template, and the old pickguard on it for comparison. The old one follows the shape of the cutaway more closely, but the new one follows the shape of the body better. The lower edge of the pickguard comes quite close to the switch bezel though, but still clears it plenty (doesn't look like it in the pics, but I didn't align it very well). And most Gibsons I have seen are like this anyway. I think it's going to look great.

Pics. Looks a bit funky because the template is white, but you get the idea.

[img']http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj91/mk2maniac/DSC00251.jpg[/img]

DSC00252.jpg

Please PM me or somehow let me know how much this item will cost when done. I would like to purchase one for myself. Thank you.

Hey mate. Just email John at Terrapin, and tell him you want to fit a large pickguard to an Epiphone G-400 SG. He'll send you the template, you can check the fitment, and if all works, then you can get one from him for $33.00US. I'm looking into having a local luthier here in NZ make one for me, because I suspect it might be cheaper, but I doubt it'll be cheaper for you.

Had a "beech" of a time finding this guy again, original post

lost in the data dump. No, it's not full-size, he might "create"

one on request, but just wanted to throw this pickguard out

there as an option to consider...

He makes "Version 1" and "Version 2" PGs, don't know

the difference, listing doesn't indicate....

af1f_3.jpg

2204_3.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/PICKGUARD-fits-EPIPHONE-G-400-SG-400-custom-metal-G400_W0QQitemZ200397436228QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item2ea89e3544

Another update:

I went to the engravers today. The guy was really helpful, not a problem to do it at all. He can have it done for me in about a week. Would've been sooner, but he doesn't have any black plastic material in stock at the moment. And because I provided the template, he doesn't need to do any artwork, so he can do it for about $40NZ, which is about the same as buying an aftermarket pickguard, way cheaper than a luthier, and cheaper than Terrapin as well. I'm sure he'll do a great job given that he's a guitar nut too. He's got a Tony Iommi Gibson SG.

It's not that it needs replacing. I'm replacing the small '61 style pickguard with the larger, full face type used on later SGs, e.g '66. No real reason other than "'cos I wanna". I like both styles. I've just grown tired for the original '61 style on it, and wanted to change the look a bit, so I'm replacing it with the full face guard.

Archived