Gibson Brands Forums

unintentional a/b

matiac

Snuck off to Guitar Center today, and was looking around, saw a 1978 Gibson Les Paul Custom, for 2400 bucks. I grab it sit down, play it through a Mesa Stilletto combo. The guitar sounds like heaven, but played horrendously. Had big, heavy strings, kinda high action, reminded me of an acoustic the way the action was.

Here's where it gets good:

Then I spy an Epiphone Les Paul...all satin finish, body, neck binding, trap inlays, gold hardware, called a "Les Paul Mahogany", the whole guitar was this light red color, except the top of the peghead, it too was satin finish on black, weight not too heavy, not too light.Upon further inspection, it's a "Custom Shop" guitar, made in China, with a weird serial number, no letter notation, all numbers, 90xxxxxxx. Anyway, I plug THIS guitar into a Fender DeVille, and I'll tell you what, that 449 dollar guitar outshined the Gibson in every department but looks, and even then, it was close! It played better, sounded better, was just...BETTER! Anyone know anything about these guitars?

Bad setup maybe, but for 2400 bucks it shouldn't have any issues, the Epiphone was soooo much easier for me to play than the Custom is all I was saying, I wasn't bashing the Gibson at all, merely sharing an observation... beautiful example of a Norlin Custom, although the seams on the 3 piece top stuck out like a sore thumb, volute at the neck/peghead, nicely yellowed binding, all I'm saying is the Epiphone I played outshined it. Your results may vary.

Bad setup maybe' date=' but for 2400 bucks it shouldn't have any issues, the Epiphone was soooo much easier for me to play than the Custom is all I was saying, I wasn't bashing the Gibson at all, merely sharing an observation... beautiful example of a Norlin Custom, although the seams on the 3 piece top stuck out like a sore thumb, volute at the neck/peghead, nicely yellowed binding, all I'm saying is the Epiphone I played outshined it. Your results may vary.[/quote']

I wasn't suggesting you were bashing Gibson, I cant believe how many shops hang expensive guitars on the wall and dont even make sure they are setup well. They wonder why they have $3000 Gibsons hanging around for months on end!

I dunno, but it's not the first time that sort of things happened. Kinda makes me wonder if they do it on purpose to sell more Epiphones, knowing the Gibson's ain't exactly marching out the door. Ya never know with that place.

I cant believe how many shops hang expensive guitars on the wall and dont even make sure they are setup well.

A lot of them just get knocked out during shipping. Take also in consideration the bunch of folks trying them out. Just kind of hard for a store to keep them all set up just like everybody likes them. What I like most likely not what the next guy likes and so on.

I know if I'm intersested in a particular one and want something adjusted I'll ask and the store will do it. Done it many times....even at my local GC and they are more than happy to.

Besides not liking thick strings or high action does not mean it's a bad set up IMO. Truth be told I don't even take that into consideration when evaluating or reviewing a guitar....kind of like passing on a car just because it has a flat I think. Now if they can't fix it or wont stay set now that would be a different matter.

The dollar sign is the area that decides for me most of the time. LOL, pretty much could care less if it has Joe's Fish Market on the headstock...my wallet usually has the last word:) At 2400 dollars could care less what it is or how it plays....just way to rich for my blood.

It's like my new one' date=' except with gold hardware. Gold hardware = Deluxe, I guess?

Best, Faded...[/quote']

I found I wasn't correct, thinking the only difference was hardware color. Not so, the Deluxe also has different PU's. Standard LP's normally come with Classic Alnico-V's. This Deluxe, comes with 650R (Neck) and a 700T (Bridge) Ceramic-8 PU's. These are a lot hotter than Classic's. Neck PU - 12.85K, Bridge PU - 16.6K.

Faded...

What I want to know is why is this at €319 Euros almost €100 cheaper than a plain Standard? Surely there's not a €100 in the finish alone?

That's $469.00 US, according to my currency converter. Also, $20 bucks more than GC.

Best, Faded...

I dunno' date=' but it's not the first time that sort of things happened. Kinda makes me wonder if they do it on purpose to sell more Epiphones, knowing the Gibson's ain't exactly marching out the door. Ya never know with that place.[/quote']

The large chain I visit has an exclusive deal with the Farida brand in the UK, if you show any interest in Epiphones or cheap Fenders they always try and push the Faridas on you as they probably make more money on them. The Squiers, Epis and Fenders are always badly setup or out of tune but the Farida guitars are always setup perfectly, polished and displayed more prominantly. Its all about numbers to the big guys.

The small guitar shop I visit should be a different story, they sell a few cheapo guitars and 1 or 2 used Gibsons or Fenders, the guy sells them well above the going rate and pushes really hard to get a sale even if you are only interested in a cheapo axe. He tried to sell me a shoddy used MIM 72 Telecaster Custom with poor intonation and rusty strings for £550! They go for around £350 on ebay. Its no wonder the shop is always empty, I only go there for stings and picks. The guy had a customers 'Gibson' Les paul Custom which was in for a setup, he was drooling all over it but told me "you dont need a 3 grand guitar", it was clearly a chinese fake.

I am yet to find a good guitar shop were I live. :P

You never know the history of a used guitar. That Gibson might have been someone's slide axe with high action and heavy strings.

I played my 92 Gibson Studio for a while yesterday and confirmed the fact that I like my Epi custom flametop better. The Epi has the 60's neck and the 92 studio has a 59 neck. It's what you get used to. I've also been playing my Tele more and I'm liking it, too.

Guitar players can be fickle. We move from one to the other, but always come back to our favorites.

Snuck off to Guitar Center today' date=' and was looking around, saw a 1978 Gibson Les Paul Custom, for 2400 bucks. I grab it sit down, play it through a Mesa Stilletto combo. The guitar sounds like heaven, but played horrendously. Had big, heavy strings, kinda high action, reminded me of an acoustic the way the action was.

Here's where it gets good:

Then I spy an Epiphone Les Paul...all satin finish, body, neck binding, trap inlays, gold hardware, called a "Les Paul Mahogany", the whole guitar was this light red color, except the top of the peghead, it too was satin finish on black, weight not too heavy, not too light.Upon further inspection, it's a "Custom Shop" guitar, made in China, with a weird serial number, no letter notation, all numbers, 90xxxxxxx. Anyway, I plug THIS guitar into a Fender DeVille, and I'll tell you what, that 449 dollar guitar outshined the Gibson in every department but looks, and even then, it was close! It played better, sounded better, was just...BETTER! Anyone know anything about these guitars?[/quote']

Hi Matt,

I've been drooling over it at MF! And only $400.00!

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Ltd-Ed-Les-Paul-Standard-Mahogany-Electric-Guitar?sku=581878

591992.jpg

Matt, there are a number of things about this particular model Epi LP that I love. First, it's overall appearance. I love mahogany, and I love a natural grain top. This is just a strikingly good looking guitar. Next, it has the slim profile neck that I desire. I do not have long graceful fingers, and the slim necks appeal to me. Third, the price. At $399, with free shipping, it seems too good to be true.

If you do end up getting her, PLEASE post all you can!! This will be the first Epi electric I get (though I want an Ultra II, the price will keep it out of reach for me, at least for a while longer).

Sheila

• 1 month later...

Matt, how about a USA made one!! Found this on Craigslist, a Gibson Mahogany for $650.00. Immediatley remembered your post . Okay, I couldn't remember who posted it and loved it like I do, and I also thought this thread was over at EpiWiki, but I remembered the thread! Not bad for someone who is getting older by the second!

He's also got a MIM Strat for 4200 and a Line 6 . . .

Sheila

http://capecod.craigslist.org/msg/1499432903.html

3n53k13p95u75s45ra9c7c5.jpg

Archived