Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Custom

Larsson

Hi,

Im new to this forum, just poped over from the Gibson forums.

Ive been looking into getting a Les Paul and have found that the Gibson Les Paul prices to tend to have a very large spread.

I then looked around and found the Epiphone Les Paul Custom, from what ive read they seem to be pretty good guitars.

But what i would like to know being a Gibson player how well do they stand against their more expensive Gibson brother.

Anyone own this guitar and care to give there thoughts on it?

Could anyone comment on Epiphone quality compared to Gibson quality?

any feedback appreciated,

Cheers,

Larsson

Firstly - welcome to the forum.

Possibly the one question which will cause a deluge of varying answers and a whole lot of heated arguments (yet again).

From my perspective I'd say that Epi's aren't built from as high quality materials as the Gibsons, also poly finish rather than nitrcellulose, but are still very good guitars and probably represent mch better bangs for your bucks value. Quality between individual examples can vary quite significantly (mind you so can Gibsons) so you need to try a few before you find a real good one. Switches and pots can be a bit iffy but are easily and cheaply replaced. Pickups are a matter of conjecture - some people like them, many don't. Again not a problem as there are many alternatives which can be swapped in.

All in all you can get quite close to a Gibson LP for about 1/4 of the price.

Hi Larsson,

I would consider the LP Custom as the Holy Grail guitar for me. However, I'm 100% with Wiggy. Nobody is going to say that Epi LPs are as good as Gibsons but you will get a lot better bang for buck with them, especially if you're considering the 'full bling' custom versions.

I notice that Gibson are using a special 'Plek' machine to fret dress their LPs so maybe this is why they play better out of the box. With Epis, most people say a good set up and fret dress will vastly improve the neck playability and bring them pretty close. As for resonance/tone, I'm not keen on the chambered bodies of the Gibby studios as I'm sure this really deadens their sound. The cheap hardware and pickups on Epis can be easily replaced as Wiggy says. However, why not try the new limited edition 1959 or tribute models which have Gibby pups and a choice (between the two) of neck profiles.

Alan

Guest icantbuyafender

Compared to the monstrosities at GC that gibson calls a les paul studio as of late, the Epi LP custom is much more of a guitar.

More comfort, more mojo. just no Gibson logo on the headstock. Do a side by side playing comparison. The Epi LP custom will win.

Oh man! I LOL'ed at the word "monstrosities" ... but I have to say I agree!

Anyone who pays $800 for that unfinished "fireplace log" should just go ahead and have the Gibson logo tattooed to their forehead in reverse so they can see it every time they look in the mirror.

If you arn't particular about who's name is on the headstock, Epi's a an incredible value.

Jim

When I bought my Ultra 2, I played Gibsons right beside the Epi,

and found that the Epi played better, right out of the box.

I'm a big proponent of gettin' my hands on a guitar before I buy it,

and the Epi felt right in my hands, and on my wallet! The Gibson sounded a bit fuller, perhaps,

but it's already been said you can swap out hardware.

ok thanks for all the advice guys,

i will defently be considering the LP custom as my next purchase but will do a side by side comparision with a Gibson.

However if i were to purchae a gibson it would only be a les paul studio which i have good and bad things about.

other views greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Larsson

ok thanks for all the advice guys' date='

i will defently be considering the LP custom as my next purchase but will do a side by side comparision with a Gibson.

However if i were to purchae a gibson it would only be a les paul studio which i have good and bad things about.

other views greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Larsson[/quote']

Don't forget the new limited editions with the Gibby pickups, Larsson. They're still cheaper than a Gibby studio.

Alan

oh right' date=' so all the electronics, pickups and tuners are the same?[/quote']

Yes, except for the gold hardware on the customs (plus the extra binding/diamond logo). Both have Alnico classic pickups.

The choice is aesthetic only with the set necked Epi LPs. If you want a black one I'd go for the nicer looking (in black) custom but if you want a burst finish I would recommend the standard plus as the better 'looker'. There is no custom with a burst available at present anyway. The custom is, I believe, the only white one available at present.

Alan

yeh i do really like the look of the Ebony custom, but burst is nice....

not sure whever it is worth the extra £100 or so..

does anyone own both the Gibson Les Paul and an Epiphone Les Paul and could specify the differences?

Cheers,

Larsson

Don't currently own a Gibson but the main differences between the Epiphone and the Gibson LP's are as follows:

1. Wood

Gibson uses a Honduras Mahogany body (usually 2 piece weight relieved or chambered) with a maple cap and a mahogany neck.

Epiphone uses a 'Mahogany' body (could be any number of pieces, will certainly not be Honduras Mahogany, usually solid) with a cap made of maple/Alder/who knows and a thing flame veneer. Neck is generally the same 'mahogany' as the body.

2. Headstock angle

Gibson = 17Deg

Epiphone = 14Deg

3. Electronics

Gibson uses CTS pots, Gibson US pickups, decent switch

Epiphone uses cheap pots, Chinese Epiphone pickups, lower quality switch

4. Finish

Gibsons are nitrocelluose finish

Epiphones are poly

In addition Gibson uses imperial thread for bridge posts, pickup adjustment screws, stoptail posts, etc. Epiphone are metric.

Well i dont know how an epip compares to a gibson, cuz i'm only now getting into epis, but i have played gibsons. Howver, I'm pretty sure an high end Epiphone, (les paul customs, ltd editions, etc) and the prophecy series will give u far superior quality, craftsmanship and superb tone and character than those inorganic bc rich. trust me, no way a bc rich cud sound as great as a well made epiphone, like the les paul customs and black beauty...i've owned 3 bc riches, all neck thru, with floyds and EMG actives and all sucked...sounds very "machine" and inorganic.

u know i never thought about that....the EMGs....but on gibson they sound nicer. by the way, does anyone know whats the deal with the label stamp on the black beauty truss rod covers? i noticed some Epiphone LP black beauty has its truss rod cover stamped "les paul black beauty" and some simply have "gibson" stamped on them. i think i saw one also with "les paul custom" stamped on it [confused]

Archived