Gibson Brands Forums

Another Blue Dot surfaces

barrysrq

A very minty-fresh looking Epiphone Dot Deluxe in Trans Blue has surfaced on eBay. This is from the same limited edition in 2000 as my own, built in October, 2000 at the Saein Musical Instrument Co. in Incheon, Korea. Description says it is like new and the photos seem to back it up. Original strings???

The sale is a Buy It Now, not an auction, and the seller wants a hefty $499, but includes a decent-looking gig bag.

I have no connection with the seller, just mention it because it is kind of a rarity. And really pretty.

Blue Dot Deluxe eBay

A "limited edition" with no-name tuners' date=' a crooked TRC,black (graphite?) nut, and off brand headstock inlay?

[cool

I think you may have a point.

I just ran the serial # at guitar data project and here's what it said:

Your guitar was made in

Korea

January c.2010

Production Number: 01019

So I guess that guitar is from the future? #-o

Guitar dater is not definitive' date=' and [b']it looks real enough to me.[/b]

But hey, go ahead and call it a fake so I can bid it home with no competition....

I don't buy on "looks", so bid away my friend!

And besides, there is no "bidding" on it anyway Brian. There's only a BIN price.

So Buy It Now!

Just remember, they don't accept returns......

A "limited edition" with no-name tuners' date=' a crooked TRC,black (graphite?) nut, and off brand headstock inlay?

[biggrin

All Epiphone Dots had "no-name" tuners in 2000, the black nut is original (hollow!) plastic, not a high point in Epi evolution. The Trc and headstock inlay suffer distortion from closeup shot with a wide-angle lens.

Again, I'm not connected to the sale, but I have its twin, though now with added pickguard etc., and rather fond of it. Saw the model online in 2001 and bought it used in 2003, so dater can't be too far off.

All Epiphone Dots had "no-name" tuners in 2000' date=' the black nut is original (hollow!) plastic, not a high point in Epi evolution. [b']The Trc and headstock inlay suffer distortion from closeup shot with a wide-angle lens.[/b]Again, I'm not connected to the sale, but I have its twin, though now with added pickguard etc., and rather fond of it. Saw the model online in 2001 and bought it used in 2003, so dater can't be too far off.

It may very well be an authentic Epi.

But I know something about photography, and a wide angle lense will not do what you say it's doing in those pics.

I just doesn't work that way.

It may very well be an authentic Epi.

But I know something about photography' date=' and a wide angle lense will not do what you say it's doing in those pics.

I just doesn't work that way.[/quote']

Wow, I was a professional photographer for 25 years, and I would love to visit a world where wide-angle lenses don't skew perspective if slightly off-axis, and stretch items near the sides of the frame, like the top of the headstock.

I don't expect every eBay photo to measure up to gallery standards, just happy when they are well-lit and reasonably in focus. Heck, I'd be happy if I was well-lit and reasonably in focus.

I think you may have a point.

I just ran the serial # at guitar data project and here's what it said:

Your guitar was made in

Korea

January c.2010

Production Number: 01019

So I guess that guitar is from the future? [biggrin]

Serial is October 2000, Saein, when I did it.

It's 2010 if you put in a 1 instead of an I.

It's hard to imagine that anyone would go to all the trouble to fake a semi hollow body guitar that sold for $400 new. But no doubt Oliver Stone would feel differently. And the asking price is out of line, but then the seller is not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree seeing as how he says he "bought it for investment". Either that or he's just talking out of his arse.

More importantly, who wants to buy a guitar that will be shipped via USPS from FL in a gig bag? He doesn't say anything about how it will be packed, insured, etc. A very inexperienced guitar seller IMO. If the price included a new or good condition Epi hard case and shipping via Fedex insured to the hilt, I might consider it. As listed, I doubt it'll sell.

I still like it though...

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to drop you guys a note to say I'm the guy that purchased the Blue Dot and while the price was a bit steep for a Dot, she has been a dream - best Dot I have ever played/owned. Don't get me wrong - my Sheraton II is and will continue to be my go-to guitar, but you can't beat the Blue Dot for a backup. And a conversation piece? You better believe it!

For gigging, I run through a Fender Blues DeVille 4x10, which is the amp God would play, if God played guitar. My practice amp is a limited edition Vox Pathfinder 15SMR mini-stack, which isn't bad for a what it is.

Acoustically, I'm setup with a beautiful EJ-200 CE in natural finish and a Red Label Yamaha FG-140.

But getting back to the Dot... like I said, she was pricey, but well worth the purchase. Actually, she may be the first guitar I have purchased before playing that I was more than happy with after receipt.

Keep your eyes peeled for great Epi deals, guys. I've yet to play a Gibson that would make me pay the extra cheddar!

Peace,

Stephen

kdot - thanks a lot. She's a great axe and I'm enjoying her.

Hector, while I did go way out the typical Dot price range to purchase her, I just love semis and, of course, the color sold me due to the rarity. I'm not that much of an SG guy and I think the price on that one is a bit high, as well, but again, it's all a matter of taste. If you like SGs and don't listen to haters tell you that you're overspending, I'd snag it. I don't know that I've ever seen an SG in that color scheme. I know the Dot is fairly rare. Maybe the SG is, as well.

Archived