Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge pickup recommendation...

outforblood

Looking to change out the pup in a 2008 Epi faded sg, I believe it has a "Hot B" in there...whatever that means. I want to get a Gibson pup installed...don't know which one though. Classic 57? Burstbucker? I want something warm yet punchy.

I do however like the neck pup.

LISTEN UP ALL YOU EPI LOVERS, All I see on websites are guys complaining about their pups...first off, the epi pups HOTCH bridge and classic 57 neck are awsome pups but you have to know what to do to get them to be awsome....I have gisons and epiphones and I have the infamous 490r/498t set up as well that everyone is talking about but truthfully, playing through 2 full stacks , the hotch is a way better sounding pickup ..Heres what you have to do and it works for all epiphone pick ups and guitars....first off , remove the pickups by unsoldering them from the volume pots and remove them from the body...remove them from their plastic rings but dont lose the screws or springs..I should take a step back by saying you do need to pick up a couple of things.... one roll of aluminum tape, a box of parrafin wax, and an assortment of ceramic orange capicitors at radio shack...the whole thing costs less than 20 bucks..oh yeh and an empty soup can and an turkey thermometor.......take a small pot and fill it about 2/3s water..take the soup can fill it with the wax and place it in the pot on the stove ..becarefull because wax burns..melt down the wax using the boiling water around the can...once the wax is melted and you have about 3/4s of the can full , place the thermometer in ..get the wax to 150 degrees and then soak the pick up for ten minutes, once pickup stops letting out bubbles, take out of pot and wipe off immediately, put in fridge for ten minutes and then reassemble. do not go hotter than 150 or you could hurt the pickups , if the pups dont have covers put an elastic band around the tape to hold it from melting. this is called WAX POTTING and it really works....next remove the control knobs and nuts holding the pots , pull back the pots as far as you can with the wiring in tact ....take the aluminum tape and completely cover the outside walls of the control cave.. Take a small piece of wire[speaker will do] and splice one end long and tape it up under the aluminum tape. poke the holes out for the pots and wiring.. replace the pots and tighten them down .. solder the other end of the wire to the back of a pot. doesnt matter which they are all joined...next tape the inside of the cover plate. now one last thing on the bridge tone pot remove the green capictor and replace it with the cheap orange .22 ceramic capictor.. this takes away the muddiness and adds bright. the purpose of the tape is to ground andinsulate the electrics to take away the hum...reinstall the pick ups, wire them in ..Set the pups about an 1/8" away from the srings pressed down at the second last fret by the bridge. set up your action the way you like ...I reccomend the gh boomers .009 strings[you will love them and they are cheap] and you have yourself one smoking killer guitar that will not squeel or hum and has great sound not quite as harsh as the 498t but a very classic sounding pickup like the 57s...It takes about 3 hours and you need patience....becareful not to overheat the pots .. make sure to let the tip of the soldering heat right up before you touch that way the solder melts fast without hurting the pot....Now you have a GIBSON!!!!!!.

LISTEN UP ALL YOU EPI LOVERS' date=' All I see on websites are guys complaining about their pups...first off, the epi pups HOTCH bridge and classic 57 neck are awsome pups but you have to know what to do to get them to be awsome....I have gisons and epiphones and I have the infamous 490r/498t set up as well that everyone is talking about but truthfully, playing through 2 full stacks , the hotch is a way better sounding pickup ..Heres what you have to do and it works for all epiphone pick ups and guitars....first off , remove the pickups by unsoldering them from the volume pots and remove them from the body...remove them from their plastic rings but dont lose the screws or springs..I should take a step back by saying you do need to pick up a couple of things.... one roll of aluminum tape, a box of parrafin wax, and an assortment of ceramic orange capicitors at radio shack...the whole thing costs less than 20 bucks..oh yeh and an empty soup can and an turkey thermometor.......take a small pot and fill it about 2/3s water..take the soup can fill it with the wax and place it in the pot on the stove ..becarefull because wax burns..melt down the wax using the boiling water around the can...once the wax is melted and you have about 3/4s of the can full , place the thermometer in ..get the wax to 150 degrees and then soak the pick up for ten minutes, once pickup stops letting out bubbles, take out of pot and wipe off immediately, put in fridge for ten minutes and then reassemble. do not go hotter than 150 or you could hurt the pickups , if the pups dont have covers put an elastic band around the tape to hold it from melting. this is called WAX POTTING and it really works....next remove the control knobs and nuts holding the pots , pull back the pots as far as you can with the wiring in tact ....take the aluminum tape and completely cover the outside walls of the control cave.. Take a small piece of wire[speaker will do'] and splice one end long and tape it up under the aluminum tape. poke the holes out for the pots and wiring.. replace the pots and tighten them down .. solder the other end of the wire to the back of a pot. doesnt matter which they are all joined...next tape the inside of the cover plate. now one last thing on the bridge tone pot remove the green capictor and replace it with the cheap orange .22 ceramic capictor.. this takes away the muddiness and adds bright. the purpose of the tape is to ground andinsulate the electrics to take away the hum...reinstall the pick ups, wire them in ..Set the pups about an 1/8" away from the srings pressed down at the second last fret by the bridge. set up your action the way you like ...I reccomend the gh boomers .009 strings[you will love them and they are cheap] and you have yourself one smoking killer guitar that will not squeel or hum and has great sound not quite as harsh as the 498t but a very classic sounding pickup like the 57s...It takes about 3 hours and you need patience....becareful not to overheat the pots .. make sure to let the tip of the soldering heat right up before you touch that way the solder melts fast without hurting the pot....Now you have a GIBSON!!!!!!.

No offense dude...I'd rather splurge on a new pup than go through the home wax potting method...sounds like a huge pain in the arse! I do like the stock pups...at least the neck, but the bridge is a little sterile. The stock pups are supposedly "doulble wax potted"...who knows.

I do like the stock pups...at least the neck' date=' but the bridge is a little sterile[/b']. The stock pups are supposedly "doulble wax potted"...who knows.
Agreed .... I rarely use the bridge only, and if I do, it's with volume rolled off, as it seems shrill and unpleasant to these old ears. I do like the neck and the neck/bridge combo, though..... leaving it as is, as it works for me as is..... and my other guit has the single coil sonic territory covered quite well.

The waxpotting definitely would have benefited the old Epibuckers, like the ones from Samick. However current Epipickups are waxpotted pretty well, as good as any major PU-brand.

With an additional waxdip you could potentionally run the risk of oversaturating the pickup making it sound too clinical....and please. Don't take it from me, or anyone else on this forum. Read up on this stuff before tackling it yourself.

The stock pups I've recently taken out of my MIC '07 LP Standard Plus have wax all over the undersides so I assume these are the newer double wax potted ones. They were still too muddy for me though. On the other hand, I'm loving my SD hotrodded humbucker set.

Guest icantbuyafender
LISTEN UP ALL YOU EPI LOVERS' date=' All I see on websites are guys complaining about their pups...first off, the epi pups HOTCH bridge and classic 57 neck are awsome pups but you have to know what to do to get them to be awsome....I have gisons and epiphones and I have the infamous 490r/498t set up as well that everyone is talking about but truthfully, playing through 2 full stacks , the hotch is a way better sounding pickup ..Heres what you have to do and it works for all epiphone pick ups and guitars....first off , remove the pickups by unsoldering them from the volume pots and remove them from the body...remove them from their plastic rings but dont lose the screws or springs..I should take a step back by saying you do need to pick up a couple of things.... one roll of aluminum tape, a box of parrafin wax, and an assortment of ceramic orange capicitors at radio shack...the whole thing costs less than 20 bucks..oh yeh and an empty soup can and an turkey thermometor.......take a small pot and fill it about 2/3s water..take the soup can fill it with the wax and place it in the pot on the stove ..becarefull because wax burns..melt down the wax using the boiling water around the can...once the wax is melted and you have about 3/4s of the can full , place the thermometer in ..get the wax to 150 degrees and then soak the pick up for ten minutes, once pickup stops letting out bubbles, take out of pot and wipe off immediately, put in fridge for ten minutes and then reassemble. do not go hotter than 150 or you could hurt the pickups , if the pups dont have covers put an elastic band around the tape to hold it from melting. this is called WAX POTTING and it really works....next remove the control knobs and nuts holding the pots , pull back the pots as far as you can with the wiring in tact ....take the aluminum tape and completely cover the outside walls of the control cave.. Take a small piece of wire[speaker will do'] and splice one end long and tape it up under the aluminum tape. poke the holes out for the pots and wiring.. replace the pots and tighten them down .. solder the other end of the wire to the back of a pot. doesnt matter which they are all joined...next tape the inside of the cover plate. now one last thing on the bridge tone pot remove the green capictor and replace it with the cheap orange .22 ceramic capictor.. this takes away the muddiness and adds bright. the purpose of the tape is to ground andinsulate the electrics to take away the hum...reinstall the pick ups, wire them in ..Set the pups about an 1/8" away from the srings pressed down at the second last fret by the bridge. set up your action the way you like ...I reccomend the gh boomers .009 strings[you will love them and they are cheap] and you have yourself one smoking killer guitar that will not squeel or hum and has great sound not quite as harsh as the 498t but a very classic sounding pickup like the 57s...It takes about 3 hours and you need patience....becareful not to overheat the pots .. make sure to let the tip of the soldering heat right up before you touch that way the solder melts fast without hurting the pot....Now you have a GIBSON!!!!!!.

Epi buckers ARE waxpotted very well, so... I dont see the point in redoing it. Plus, I've yet to hear anyone complain about Epi's waxpotting jobs. Just the mud that is associated with cheap ceramic caps and cheap pots as well as shielding issues.

Re-doing this will do NOTHING but potentially ruin the pickup if the temp exceeds the 145 degree mark. Plus, the original wax will just be heated and shifted around, and chances are the only thing you will get is a wax mess to clean up, and no real difference in sound, and potentially less output.

Ricochet is right.

I'd rather not make the mess and potentially ruin the pickup.

It is true, that most people will benefit just as much from a few turns of the pole pieces and height screws as if they'd have bought a brand new set of pickups.

But if someone wants the gibson bragging rights, then why not let them indulge in a '57 classic plus?

This is NOT the proper way to pot your pickups. There were so many t hings wrong with this method I won't take the time to correct it.

Got the 500t installed today...the output is unreal! Registers at 15.33k on the multimeter. Hot pickup... not too much of a tonal difference, more middy...less trebley. Natural and artificial harmonics are easier to achive....I actually had to turn the gain down on my Metal Muff from 3 'o clock to about 1 'o clock.

Archived