Gibson Brands Forums

"Epiphone by Gibson" headstock Sheraton owners club

Thanks Suicidedhummer

Yes thanks, the serial must be 1987 as they only produced these headstocks between 1986 and 1988. I am amazed though at how few there are on this forum only two people so far own them. Musikron really rates is guitar as Samick Sheratons go, so:

We have 6,022 registered forum members and 473 visits to this thread.

Still only

Musikron

and soon Joe Samick

own these Sheratons with the

ebg.jpg

Headstock

Please if anyone else knows of anyone else who owns one, or sees one for sale, drop me a line.

Welcome Eze and now we have two owners and one prospective owner of these guitars. Is it possible to post any photos and I am trying to find out if they all have 8 digit serial numbers. Looking forward to seeing the photos...... the one I am interested in is Tobacco Burst and Musikrons is Natural, what finish is yours?

We have 6,028 registered forum members and 519 visits to this thread.

Still only

Eze

Musikron

and soon Joe Samick

ebg.jpg

Headstock

Please if anyone else knows of anyone else who owns one, or sees one for sale, drop me a line.

I'll send some pics tomorrow if you're interested. Unfortunately, my guitar is "stickerless". So the serial number question is foreign territory. I do feel better having read other comments regarding these stickers detaching. I bought it mainly because I loved the sound, and only found out later the guitar's history (courtesy of the headstock).

Hi rpach10115

So does yours have the "Epiphone by Gibson" headstock? Are you in our club :)

We have 6,030 registered forum members and 552 visits to this thread.

Still only

Eze

Musikron

and soon Joe Samick (next Saturday I pick it up all being well and sound with the guitar)

ebg.jpg

Headstock

Here's a couple pics as promised. I am not good with these new digi cams, I miss my 35mm. [bored]

The pics don't do justice, the inlays on this thing are the most colorful I have ever seen on an Epi, and the grain on the face is subtly figured.

IMG_0833.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

Thanks Musikron

Beautiful Has to be number 1 in our "Epiphone by Gibson" headstock Sheraton's owners club [bored] ....Eze's guitar can be number 2. Get mine Next Saturday if all is fine with it.

You have 7 digits in your serial and the first 6 denoting 1986 September by the 09. My starts with 7 but has 8 digits not much rhyme and reason to that...can't see why they started putting a 0 after the year and month. Going to have to find more with serial stickers to compare.

Just wondering is it all stock or have changed anything on the guitar assembly, pickups.

Stock neck pup, bridge is an older PAF.

All electronics have been upgraded, even replaced the ground wire. Alpha pots, shielded wire, all metal switchcraft with gold knob. I have Gibson Custom top hats on it, I slightly aged the gold inserts to tone them down to match the faded hardware.

Slipstone nut (the only thing I had in stock that was large enough at the time I got the guitar, I'll be fitting a vintage bone nut when I have the time, and the slipstone will be placed in the case as a spare.) Strung with DR titefit 12's. I need to replace the tuners as one of the bushings has broken off, hence the non matching washer on there, I needed something thinner so I could get the threads to catch as a quick fix at a show. I stole the washer off the ice maker door in the kitchen of the club we were at. With permission of course!

I can see no evidence of an E ever being on the pickguard, and this guard is of a much higher quality than the current lot I have seen. Or older ones. It is not opaque and fully bound like the body. I normally have it off but its so nice I put it back on recently.

Here's what it was like the day I got it.

IMG_0391.jpg

Thanks SH we are pretty sure all these were made in the 80 's

Musikron interesting you decided to stick with your stock neck pickup, the neck pickup on my present Sheraton definitely needs potting so I am going to opt for a re-placement, I tried adjusting one of the poles and there is a lot of movement in there.

I really looking for to seeing the photos of Eze's E-by-G.......

Then he can be officially number 2 in our E-by-G owners club

We have 6,040 registered forum members and 710 visits to this thread.

Still only

Musikron (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 1 (natural, sn:6094580))

Eze

and soon Joe Samick (next Saturday I pick it up all being well and sound with the guitar)

ebg.jpg

Headstock

Hi fellas, still working on the photos, coming soon. I can tell you it is all natural in color. Gold tuners? Humbuckers? All orginal, as far as I can tell (which is not much since I don't know a hell alot about guitars other than I love playing). Suffice it to say the sound is so pretty. I've never played an electric guitar (only classical guitars) until I picked up this one. I love it. Cheers, EZE.

Come on Eze I am waiting for you photos so I can put you number two in our exclusive club......:-)

We have 6,050 registered forum members and 765 visits to this thread.

Still only

Eze

own Epiphone Sheratons (samick build 1986-1988) with the

ebg.jpg

Headstock

Yes the neck pup sounds great in this one. I potted both pups when I rewired the guitar, and though it is a little muddy when distorted (never heard a neck HB that wasn't) it sounds so sweet clean or overdriven. I was planning on swapping it out, but have grown to like it too much, if it ain't broke....

Hi Musikron

So they were unpotted?? prior......to you potting them.... is that how they come.

The neck pickup on 89 Sheraton seems to me like it is not potted, as I say when I tried adjusting the pole pieces the whole six poles move.

That can't be right...?

I don't follow, what do you mean by "the whole six poles moved"?

And even pickups that have been potted, sometimes need it again. It is only wax after all, and years of heat, playing, and traveling can break down the bond the wax has to the coils. I have pups I have potted 5 and 6 times in some of my guitars, others only the once. I find it strange that some have lasted for 20 uears and others I seem to be potting every 5 years or so. I think it has to do with stage volume and heat myself. Get a guitar on stage under those hot lights and in front of a loud *** amp, and the wax starts breaking down.

Yes, I took the neck p_up out and it is as dry as bone, no wax in there, by the look of it, and does not look like the cover was ever soldered.....the cover moves definitely not attached, I could just pull it off if I wanted.

P1010229.jpg

What do you think? How can this still sound nice through my Valveking 112 in this condition???.....I only use the clean channel on my amp, mostly picking out blues stuff I am learning, either just on the neck pickup or neck and bridge together.

........................................................................................................................................................

We have 6,054 registered forum members and have had 900 visits to this thread.

Astounding........still only 1 proven owner of a "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheraton on this forum.

Eze (not a member yet, as he has not posted any photos of his E-by-G Sheraton, no photos, it don't exist :-) )

ebyg.jpg

who own "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons (samick build 1986-1988) with the

ebg.jpg

Headstock

Just came across this board while trying to find information on my Epiphone Sheraton II. Turns out that I have a 1986 Epiphone from Korea. I was born in July, 1986, and "Sharon" was manufactured in June. I found her in a local guitar shop five years ago. In terms of hardware, I switched the pickups to '57 classic humbuckers (gold covered). I'll post pictures shortly.

OK Joe feelin handy? Got yourself a good iron?

The red stuff along the edges you see is adhesive that used to hold the cover on. This is a good thing, it means you more than likely have a "good" one.

Pop the cover off, and carefully sand away the remaining residue. Be careful not to touch the coils!!

Leave the surface rough, replace the cover firmly and solder in place, easy as pie and better than new.

Then pot the pickup if you want. I doesn't sound like your playing at very high levels or anything, so microphonics may not even be an issue for you, unless the pickup sounds "ghosty" or "quacky".

Hi Musikron

I play through the clean channel on Valveking 112 with amp volume set to 9 but I use one of these Omnisonic Tube Amp Volume Boxes set to 3

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Omnisonic-Tube-Amp-VOLUME-BOX-for-PEAVEY-Classic-30-50_W0QQitemZ140336608052QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20acb6b334

bdf2_12.JPG

I still get a nice valve sound out of the amp but my wife and kids can live with my playing volumes....It had to be done, I am a family man. Maybe this is why I have not heard anything "ghosty" or "quacky" just sounds like a nice "OK" bluesy neck pickup to me. By the way I know nothing about potting a pickup how can you pot it after the case is soldered on....?

.......................................................................................................................................................

We have 6,058 registered forum members and have had 954 visits to this thread.

Astounding........still only have 1 proven owner of a "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheraton on this forum.

Eze (not a member yet, as he has not posted any photos of his E-by-G Sheraton, no photos, it don't exist :-) )

Maybe NaturalScience2112 if he has the right headstock on his 1986 "Sharon"

ebg.jpg

Headstock

You're supposed to pot them with the covers on. You don't want the cover to be rattling against the bobbin or plate right?

Here's how I do it. Mix 80% canning wax and 20%bees wax (by weight not volume) in a double boiler. Mines an old coffee can and a large pot.

Melt the wax and heat it until it is 150 degrees Fahrenheit. That sounds like its easy, but its tricky to achieve and maintain that temp, and its crucial you do. Any cooler and the wax will not penetrate the coils, much hotter and you'll burn the wax or fry the pup. But the pup can sit at 150 all day and not be damaged by it.

After you have achieved a stable 150, tie some string to the mounting holes on the pup, and submerge it completely in the wax. Let it sit a few minutes, I give it about 15 or until I see no more air bubbles coming from the pup, tilt it around slightly while submerged to get and air bubbles out. As the PU heats up, the wax works its way deep into the coils, and any voids in the pup.

Carefully remove the pup from the wax, set it face down on a paper towel, and allow to cool for a few minutes. It will also drain the majority of the wax out, which is what you want, it doesn't need to be "full of wax" to work, you just want the coils saturated and the spaces between the cover and bobbin filled. Then when it is a little cooler but still warm, take another paper towel and wipe the wax off the outside face of the pup, and and excess off the back, and allow to finish reaching room temp. Don't put it in the freezer, allow it to cool gradually.

After a couple hours cooling you should be good to go!

Hi Musikron

I read a lot of reviews and information before buying the box some get pissed off because it is not an attenuater but come on this is a low price attempt, it cannot compete with a true attenuater.

It apparently just works on the preamp before the effects loop.

The idea was apparently originally put forward on a Fender forum board and many people tried it and it worked for them.

http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=282264

or

I don't see what all the confusion is about with this device. In a nutshell, it's an inexpensive Volume pot for an amp's pre-amp....that's ALL. Since the majority of guitar amp's do not include a Volume pot for the output of the pre-amp stage, such a control CAN prove useful, in the same way that any OTHER control has its use in an amp's design. Personally, i find having an additional volume control at this stage of the signal path to be very useful. Keep in mind that most of an amp's tone-shaping occurs in the pre-amp, NOT the power section. This fact, together with the fact that most players shape their tone further with several stomp's that feed the pre-amp, can result in some very useful additional sound-shaping capability when you introduce a pre-amp-out Volume pot. (For example, try driving the output of one or two of your favorite OD stomp's harder than you've ever dared to before into your amp's input, and you'll begin to see some possibilities. OR, connect a compatible device into your FX SEND, THEN feed that output into the Omnisonic box....) If you look at it this way, introducing an additional control in the signal path makes perfect sense.

But in reality it is an alpha pot, knob, two jacks, some cable and a casing.

It is not a true attenuater but it does sound different when I use it, to when I just use the amp set low.

I don't know why it works, but it does make a difference....

Here is a photo just an alpha pot, knob, two jacks, some cable and a casing as I said:

P1010233.jpg

.......................................................................................................................................................

We have 6,069 registered forum members and have had 1,079 visits to this thread.

Astounding........still only have 1 proven owner of a "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheraton on this forum.

ebg.jpg

Headstock