Gibson Brands Forums

"Epiphone by Gibson" headstock Sheraton owners club

For comparison

my neck route 1987 E-by-G

P1010255.jpg

my bridge route 1987 E-by-G you can see the access for wiring...

P1010246.jpg

It is interesting your 1988 E-by-G is just like my 1989 Sheraton (which does not have the E-by-G headstock)

my neck route 1989 NON E-by-G Sheraton

P1010266.jpg

my bridge route 1989 NON E-by-G Sheraton

P1010271.jpg

My E-by-G is January 87

(so they changed the design somewhere between these dates)

Your E-by-G is August 88

the internal design of yours is closer to my 1989 NON E-by-G model

Toredown's is February 88 it will be interesting to see if his is like yours or mine?

img0167b.jpg

img0168ih.jpg

Hey Joe this should help....

Question.... why is it that most of the pictures show up as thumbnail size' date=' sometimes they show up normal size.... is there a way to choose?? Only two out of the six or seven I loaded show up normal.... sometimes....[/quote']

(first you were missing the h from the first part of the url on the second picture)

This is really interesting your guitar is February 1988 and they were still using the bridge cavity design then but it had changed by August 1988 as slawek's is different.

So when did they change and why? March, April, May, June, July 1988 It will be interesting to see as more E-by-G's join this group when the design change occured.

It is good news for you, it will make putting a new assembly in, a lot easier.

slawek will have to go the f hole way, like I will (and the majority of Sherri owners will) with my 89 Sherri, it is tricky but manageable

slawek will have to go the f hole way' date=' like I will (and the majority of Sherri owners will) with my 89 Sherri, it is tricky but manageable

[/quote']

Yeah, I've already done that with Yamaha SA 2000S so I have experience, kinda frustrating, when you're trying to put a pot into right place and cannot reach it even with one finger :-k but I succeed :)

Yeah' date=' I've already done that with Yamaha SA 2000S so I have experience, kinda frustrating, when you're trying to put a pot into right place and cannot reach it even with one finger :-k but I succeed :)[/quote']

I have have only changed the electrics on my Joe Pass that was difficult enough, and I had a full hollow body to work with and full access through the bridge route.

I have a set of hand wound PAFS and assembly on order for my 89 Sherri.

Not going to enjoy that job but will get it done and after a set up, should make what is a fine guitar, a great guitar.

Hoping to post that mod in about 4 to 6 weeks along with the modification of my E-by-G....

Going for an unusual set up in there a set of Lollar Firebirds, split on pull/push pots.

So my two Sherris will be very different beasts....

We have 6,372 registered forum members and have had 3,690 visits to this thread.

Astounding........still only have 5 proven owners of "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons on this forum.

1986 E-by-G's

NaturalScience2112 (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 2 (tobacco, sn:6066698))

Musikron (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 1 (natural, sn:6094580))

1987 E-by-G's

JoeSamick (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 3 (tobacco, sn:70105418))

1988 E-by-G's

Toredown (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 5 (tobacco, sn:80202658))

slawek (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 4 (tobacco, sn:880802010))

who own "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons (samick build 1986-1988) with the

ebg.jpg

Headstock

• 1 month later...

We would like to welcome Albannach into the fold. He has a big project on his hands....

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=14489

But when it is finished will be great to see it back to its former glory.

We have 6,630 registered forum members and have had 4,703 visits to this thread.

Astounding........still only have 6 proven owners of "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons on this forum.

1986 E-by-G's

1987 E-by-G's

1988 E-by-G's

Albannach (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 6 (tobacco, sn:XXXXXXXX))

ebg.jpg

Headstock

Please if anyone else knows of anyone else who owns one, or sees one for sale, drop me a line.

to be included in this list we need photographs of your guitar especially the headstock back and front

Hello!

Nice forum u got here! I´ve one here bought a couple of years back from original owner, said to have bought it new 1988. No serial number sticker. It is most likely built 87 or early 88. Scratchplate € style votes for 88, but time of buy and headstock logotype makes late 87 if not probable then possible at least. Close to Toredown´s one in age, I´d say.

A few pics:

Headstock. The logos are slightly sloppily made in my opinion, sloppier than on later ones.

headstock.jpg

Body, front. Very yellow, lighter under scratchplate and bridge etc.

bodyfront.jpg

Body, back. Rather clean.

bodyback.jpg

Bridge cavity and microphone

bridgecavitymic.jpg

Bridge service hole

servicehole.jpg

Neck cavity

neckcavity.jpg

Neck cavity and microphone

neckcavitymic.jpg

Happily back in one piece.

guitarc.jpg

Hilleri

That is one beautiful Sheraton you have there. The finish on your guitar I find really attractive and the binding really sets it off. I have a feeling it could be 88 because the logo on the pickguard is identical to my 89 Sherri and different to my 87 E-by-G.

I really like that guitar, if you ever consider trading for a Tobbacco Burst let me know......[biggrin]

I would only ever trade my E-by-G for another E-by-G and I have taken a shine to yours so beware......[confused]

guitarc.jpg

So no serial, I will put it in the early 88 section for now, thanks for posting.

So what would you call that finish or is it just a natural and the lighting and colour balance make it look so fine.

Thanks for posting your E-by-G Hilleri

We have 6,632 registered forum members and have had 4,830 visits to this thread.

Astounding........still only have 7 proven owners of "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons on this forum.

1986 E-by-G's

1987 E-by-G's

1988 E-by-G's

hilleri (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 7 (natural, sn:XXXXXXXX))

Albannach (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 6 (tobacco, sn:XXXXXXXX))

ebg.jpg

Headstock

Please if anyone else knows of anyone else who owns one, or sees one for sale, drop me a line.

to be included in this list we need photographs of your guitar especially the headstock back and front

Its a natural, just yellowed over time i guess. First owner had it in a stand in his flat, so i guess light does it eventually. The possibility of it being late 87 is down to knowing the time of purchase being 88. If i go to the shops here in finland now, the new guitars in the shops will be manufactured at most a couple of years and at least a year ago. I mean, the stuff sent way over here has had the tendency of being last years goods. (Even more so decades ago, a friend bought a ´64 bassman head in ´70 as a new one and got it cheaper because it still had "old cosmetics")

Around early 88 seems as accurate as we´ll ever get without the serial. Happy about the large rout, pots might be traceable (and serviceable).

I´ve liked this guitar a lot and will probably try to find out which one´ll last longer, the guitar or me.

I´ll post pictures and details of another, also natural, S/N 880603292 living in a town nearby owned by a friend of mine on Sunday when he comes to visit. He´s a guitar collector with tens of guitars and will probably think I´m crazy to ask him to bring the only model he´s got I also own. "Why cant I bring the non-reverse firebird???" "I wanna photograph the epi!" "Cant you photo your own??"

<edit> Oh yeah, I forgot, lets all weigh our guitars, also would be of interest to know the weight of later korean and even chinese models. What is the smartest way to weigh a guitar in normal domestic context?

<edit2> stupid question, with a scale! mine´s 4.0 kg.

Just as a point of interest could everyone with an E-by-G post a photo, a side profile of the front "neck" pickup ring to see how it is attached to the body I think I have noticed something different between my E-by-G and my other Sheraton.

Sheratonfront01-1.jpg

As you can see from this view the PU ring at the neck sits low in relation to the tail of the fretboard giving the thicker end towards the bridge PU which has the skinny PU ring as company.

Here are a few of the PU cavities on 'Dusty'! Thanks for the idea, Joseph!

Cavity02.jpg

Cavity03.jpg

Cavity04.jpg

Sheratonfront01.jpg

As you can see from this view the PU ring at the neck sits low in relation to the tail of the fretboard giving the thicker end towards the bridge PU which has the skinny PU ring as company.

great job that Albannach that image is a nice resource for Samick sherri owners it highlights the 71 mm bridge.........

Hilleri..... I can see the yellowing the other photo you can see where the pickguard has been and the hardware it is natural underneath and yellow where the sun has caught it.....

Well after a lot of searching and strife from the 'boss', I eventually found the piece of paper with a copy of the serial number for 'Dusty'.

Checking a couple of sites gives this rather inaccurate dating of the guitar. This from Guitar Dater -

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made in

Korea

October c.1971

Production Number: 8446

If this is at all correct then there is something wrong with the serial number!

Well after a lot of searching and strife from teh 'boss'' date=' I eventually found the piece of paper with a copy of the serial number for 'Dusty'.

Checking a couple of sites gives this rather inaccurate dating of the guitar. This from Guitar Dater -

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made in

Korea

October c.1971

Production Number: 8446

If this is at all correct then there is something wrong with the serial number![/quote']

Forget about the guitar dater for E-by-Gs......

if that is the number

That would equate to 1987, November, production number 08446 That fits with the specific signs on the guitar for a late 87 early 88 model. Mine is january and yours is november that accounts for the slight differences pickguard TRC etc.

We have 6,643 registered forum members and have had 5,004 visits to this thread.

Astounding........still only have 7 proven owners of "Epiphone by Gibson" Sheratons on this forum.

1986 E-by-G's

1987 E-by-G's

Albannach (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 6 (tobacco, sn:71108446))

1988 E-by-G's

hilleri (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 7 (natural, sn:XXXXXXXX))

ebg.jpg

Headstock

It´s cool that even after a few days of reading this topic it´s getting easier to spot the few details that differ the years from each other. Nice 87 and early 88 those ebay ones. the pickguard € change seems very much a change that happened round new year ´88. Most exciting!

Hats off for the starter and everyone whos contributed!

Albannach (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 6 tobacco, sn:71108446 => could that be November (11) 1987 (7)?

Cos the scratchplate logo seems to already have changed (to the "88-89 style")?

th_Shearatonwhole.jpg

I love the pickup covers and general wear, gives it beautiful character.

Albannach (E-by-G Sheraton owners club # 6 tobacco' date=' sn:71108446 => could that be November (11) 1987 (7)?

Cos the scratchplate logo seems to already have changed (to the "88-89 style")?

th_Shearatonwhole.jpg

I love the pickup covers and general wear, gives it beautiful character.

The scratch plate is not the original as there was not one on the guitar when I bought it, there were no knobs either. What you see is the basic replacements at the time, hopefully the next photograph will be it in recovery to rude health.

I will be looking out for an original scratch plate so if anyone is aware of a correctly dated one up for sale, please let me know. There are a couple on UK Evil Bay but not in good condition - 2 for $30 at the moment.

It´s cool that even after a few days of reading this topic it´s getting easier to spot the few details that differ the years from each other. Nice 87 and early 88 those ebay ones. the pickguard € change seems very much a change that happened round new year ´88. Most exciting!

Hats off for the starter and everyone whos contributed!

Hi Hilleri

I thought it would be interesting to just do some research into 86/88 period of Korean Sheratons. But it is pretty amazing what you can find out about these guitars and how they were made by just getting a few people together and comparing notes. Collating this thread is well worth it I feel but.

I think I will call it a day when we have 10 members for each year and we can get a clear picture of the development over the period and what is happening with the odd serials which do not equate in the guitar dater. Then maybe in the future I will take all the info from this thread and create a Wiki on the E-by-G. Love or hate them they are a part of the history of the Epiphone Sheraton and that in itself is a good reason.....I LOVE MY SHERATON...........not in a biblical sense of course....

I thought there were quite a few owners of these Samick built Epiphone Sheratons with the

ebg.jpg

headstock on this site.

I was wrong.

FANTASTIC !!!

You can add one new owner to this forum.

I just bought my "E by G" Sheraton at an auction sale this week. I've been doing some internet research since I didn't know too much about the history (I simply bought it because I loved the look of it) and found this site today.

Serial number is 71107775' date=' which I take from other posts on this site means November 1987, production number 07775, Samick-made. (initially thought it was a '71 or possible '77 model....which was confusing).

It's vintage sunburst, and in reasonably good condition. Tailstop is pitted, but I suppose that's to be expected.

After re-stringing, it had it's first gig last night. I think once I've had it properly set up I'm going to fall further in love with this lovely guitar.

I'll get some pictures and get them posted.

I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this site [cool